Kentucky Derby - Louisville, KY Dining Questions & Tips

Muddy Rivers

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone! We are headed to Louisville for a couple of days this May for the Kentucky Derby. Staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown. Thankfully we are driving and will have a car.

Any suggestions for places to eat? We usually like to try something regional and not stop and eat something we can get at home. We are going with our adult kids so we don't need anything kid friendly.

If you have any tips for must sees in the area, we would appreciate that too.

DIS people always have the best suggestions! :)

Bumping up for other KY Disers-there are plenty of us lurking here.

Hot Browns are a KY regional specialty. Others can help with individual places in Louisville to get one.

I'd research the Bourbon Trail for an activity. The Louisville Slugger museum/tour is neat. It all depends on ages and interests of the group. You can do nature, horse farm tours, or there is plenty to do in the city itself.

Welcome to the Bluegrass State.

Make it a point to go to Dawn at the Downs (Churchill Downs)one morning while you are in town to observe the track rituals and take in the grounds without the hoards of people on Derby Day. You are staying down the street from the Muhammad Ali Center, and Frazier Museum which are both notable. The Ark Encounter is a regional attraction somewhat nearby in Northern Kentucky, probably ~hour away. A river cruise on the Belle of Louisville is a nice outing during May as well.

You’re going to be right smack downtown which is good. Fourth St. Live is less than a block away. There are restaurants there. If you walk down 4th St toward the river to Main St. and head east, there is quite a bit between 1st and 3rd St. Let me think here. A lot of it is new.

Bluegrass Brewing Company
Doc Crows
Proof on Main (not sure if that’s a restaurant or just a bar)
Merle’s Whiskey Kitchen
Jeff Ruby’s
Troll Pub Under the Bridge (it even has a troll)
O’Shea’s
Impellizzeri’s Pizza (very good)

We just went to a place around 7th and Main called Mussels and Burger Bar last week with work. It was good and a cool environment.

The Louisville Slugger Factory is on Main St. You can visit the museum and tour the factory. It’s interesting. The Frazier Museum is basically across the street and is also very cool. Another thing to consider is Louisville Mega Caverns. It is a huge, man-made... well, cavern I guess under part of the city. They have zip lines and tours and I’m not sure what else.

I’m a Louisville girl (as you probably guessed) so if you have any questions, let me know. I’ve stayed in your hotel and work in downtown, so I know the area well.

ETA: Downtown Louisville is pretty safe, especially during Derby. I just wouldn’t go west past 9th St. You start getting into the projects and just a rougher area of town.

Last edited:

I also live in Louisville. The time frame you are coming will be like being as Disney during Christmas as far as crowds at restaurants downtown.

The Bourbon Trail stops are great, but again, will most likely be very crowded.

If you like pizza, my absolute favorite is Butchertown Pizza Hall.

There are tons of great restaurants along Bardstown Rd in the Highlands and along Frankfort Ave in Crescent Hill that will probably be less crowded that the downtown restaurants that are right by the big hotels.

Thank you everyone! Great suggestions - can't wait to explore Louisville!

Any good suggestions for breakfast??

Last edited:
I live right across the river in Indiana.

Le Moo is very good and a neat atmosphere.

If you across the river to downtown New Albany you will have about 10 restaurants to chose from.. all independently owned and most very good.

Be sure to get reservations for both Oaks day and Derby day.

You can pm me if you have any questions.

For breakfast, there are a few good places near downtown. Some good ones are:
Toast on Market
Wild eggs
Atlantic No 5

If you are going to the track- you can always stop by Wagner’s Pharmacy. It’s an old pharmacy that is a restaurant... it’s been on the food network but is probably crazy derby day

Other restaurants of mention that are downtown or close by are:
Jack Frys
Mussel and burger bar
Silver dollar (old firehouse)
Butchertown grocery
Merle’s whiskey kitchen (great fried chicken and tacos)
Irish rover ( great fish and chips)
Harvest (farm to table restaurant. Great burgoo (a Ky stew))

You will need reservations for derby weekend dinner

My favorite touristy things to do as a local:
Copper and kings distillery. They make brandy there and it’s a pretty cool place.
Go see the art at 21c museum hotel. They rotate their art exhibits. It is free and fun to walk through. You can get a drink at proof while you are there
Visit a bourbon distillery - Evan Williams, angels envy and peerless are all downtown
Frazier museum
Dawn at the downs

Have fun! Louisville during derby week is an amazing place! The city celebrates the derby for two weeks.

Hot Browns are a KY regional specialty. Others can help with individual places in Louisville to get one.

Go to the original home of the Hot Brown...The Brown Hotel. You can get an original Hot Brown at J. Graham's Cafe, The English Grill or the Lobby Bar, all in the Brown Hotel. But of course, just about every restaurant in Louisville has their own version of the Hot Brown on the menu.

I believe The Galt House and the Sealbach both have breakfast buffets. Both are close. There is a Dunkin‘ Donuts across the street from the hotel too!

If you want to avoid crowds, I agree with going into Indiana. I live in Indiana and work in downtown Louisville. You can go into New Albany or up I-65 to Veteran’s Pkwy and there will be tons of stuff.

I’ve read through these responses and I’m surprised at how many places I’ve never heard of! Haha!

Oh wow! We are going to have lots of eating to do! We've never been to the Derby nor visited Kentucky and are looking forward to this trip (almost as much as Disney!)

They do three hour trips on the Belle of Louisville and other boats. It's kind of fun, but only snack food is served for the shorter tours.

We like to go to Louisville Glassworks. You can watch them blow glass and even do it yourself (but it's expensive) and they have pieces for sale.

Right down from Frazier History Museum (interesting place to kill time, if you like museums) and the Science Center (for kids), there's a chocolate place that gives free tastings. Delicious! I can't remember their name.

Also, if you're walking downtown, there's a quiet little (very!) park across from the golden David statue (21c).

Other than a Hot Brown and of course, bourbon, are there any regional food specialties that we should make sure we don't miss?

We were only there for a day, to check out a traveling exhibit at the Frazier Museum, but we found the best little hipster-southern place called Finns. Wonderful Southern comfort food, excellent service, and contrived-upcycled decor.

There is a place in Warsaw ky called jewells on main. It's a diner with some really good home cooking. It's located about an hour from Louisville to the north on US 42. You can cross the Ohio into Indiana near Carrollton into Madison Indiana. Beautiful historic town with a state park nearby called Clifty falls.

In Kentucky we mostly like comfort foods. BBQ places are becoming popular.

I know we will make reservations for dinner for Thursday-Saturday of Derby weekend but how crowded are restaurants for breakfast and lunch on that weekend? Do we need to make lunch and breakfast reservations also?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter