• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kentucky DISers ?

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
Leaving Louisville tomorrow AM- headed back toward Chattanooga TN. Thinking of making the following stops along the way:

Mammoth Cave
Abraham Lincoln's birthsite
National Corvette Museum

Not in any hurry but won't have hours & hours to spend at each one. Any input on the above?

We had a blast at Louisville Zoo today - spent a little over 6 hours there. :)

Personally, I would skip Lincoln's birthplace and schedule a cave tour at MC. Lincoln's BP is interesting, but there is very...very little to see.

Go to MC, do the Frozen Niagra tour. It's only 1 1/4 hours long and it is a good first cave tour for families.

Then head to south to the Corvette Museum.

Personally, I would skip Lincoln's birthplace and schedule a cave tour at MC. Lincoln's BP is interesting, but there is very...very little to see.

Go to MC, do the Frozen Niagra tour. It's only 1 1/4 hours long and it is a good first cave tour for families.

Then head to south to the Corvette Museum.

Is it just a walking tour? We've done The Lost Sea, any comparison?

I'm not into cars much so the Corvette Museum was a yawner for me.

Lincoln's Birthplace is interesting and in a lovely setting. His birthplace (a log cabin) is in a building--the park provides a nice dose of history with little pain:goodvibes

Mammouth Cave is FUN!! Several different tours are offered and it's the world's longest cave system.
One of my favorite short trips was with my DS to Mammouth Cave and Cumberland Falls several years ago.

Cumberland Falls isn't too far away and worth a look, too. You won't be able to see the moonbow but it's a nice waterfall.

I highly recommend Mammoth Cave.

My kids, when younger, loved the Corvette Museum.

Cumberland Falls is amazing, and if at all possible, I'd stop there as well.

Honestly I'd try to do all three but you might be running short of time since the order you will come across them means corvette museum is last (most southern place on your list) and I'm not sure how late it is open on sundays. I'd call in the morning before making a final decision.
Mammoth Cave would be the thing I would spend the most time doing personally because it is incredible. I've loved every tour I've ever taken. Be sure and call early and get tickets for the tour you want. They can sell out quickly and if you wait until you get there you will either have a long wait for your tour, not get the tour you want, or worst case scenario, all tickets for every tour scheduled could be sold out.
Also, KY Down Under is in Horse Cave (on the route you'll be taking along I-65 south) and that's a lot of fun too but it could take a fair amount of time so definitely would have to replace something on your list if you did that.
Hope you have lots of fun!

I would recommend spending the most time at MC as well. We advise friends and family from out of town to do the the historic tour.

If you could do only 1, make it a cave tour.

If you've got an extra 1-2 hours, stopping at Lincoln's birthplace is a nice one, too.

We ended up stopping at Lincoln's Birthplace and Mammoth Cave. We did only the self guides discovery tour as this was a spur of the minute decision (saw it as we drove to Louisville) and we weren't at all prepared with good footwear and a warmer shirt for cave touring. We are definitely going back in the near future, it's just about 3 hours from the house. :)

We had time to stop at the Corvette museum too but kids were ready to come home. This was our first trip of this nature just the 3 of us. We had a great time. Drive up to Louisville went smoothly. The Drury Inn was a great choice. We spent 6.5 hours at the zoo Saturday, went back to the hotel and the kids swam in the pool for two hours. Then lots of fun on the way home today with some history thrown in too!!!!!!

We are going to stop at the Corvette museum on our next trip.

Thanks everyone for your tips!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter