• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ketchup on Scrambled Eggs

I was taught to put ketchup on eggs since I was old enough to eat them. I don't use it for poached or hard boiled. But fried, baked or scrambled, omelets, you betcha. It may have been a depression way to provide veggie's (fruit actually) with protein that my parents were taught. Egg salad requires a small amount of yellow mustard. Poached, just salt and pepper.

Back when I lived up north and traveled down to the south, I used to be concerned because ketchup wasn't used on eggs. After I moved down here and saw the weird things they ate, I stopped worrying about it and just did my thing. I remember overhearing a lady, bless her heart, that was talking about going home and frying up some green string beans in bacon fat. How these folks survive to old age is a mystery. I have received some strange looks when I bought an Egg McMuffin and asked for a packet of ketchup. Don't care anymore. I like what I like.

Last edited:
I do a relative of ketchup of my own invention. I created and love a toasted peanut butter, strawberry preserve and fresh ripe tomato slice sandwich from time to time. When I have mentioned it to others I hear gagging sounds, but it is great the preserves sweeten the tomato and the peanut butter, well, just goes with everything.

My DH loves ketchup on his food, including eggs. I like any kind of egg with just a tiny pinch of salt (no pepper, except in egg salad). I prefer sliced tomatoes to ketchup on burgers. I could probably live w/o ketchup.

I created and love a toasted peanut butter, strawberry preserve and fresh ripe tomato slice sandwich from time to time
Well tomato preserves are a thing, I could see that with peanut butter and strawberry preserves...but the tomato slice seems like an outlier. Out of respect I shall not make a gagging sound. ;)

I don't generally eat scrambled eggs but I do put ketchup on my fried eggs and toast sandwiches when I make them.

I'll add ketchup if the scrambled egg lacks flavour (we add a dash of fish sauce while cooking), otherwise no.

Actually I don't think I voluntarily add ketchup to anything besides fries and KD.

No, but I will sometimes dice up part of a tomato and eat that with eggs so that's pretty close.

We ate breakfast at Garden Grill at EPCOT and they brought out salsa that I ate with the eggs and I still think about that salsa sometimes... 😂 (But seriously I do, it was fantastic.)

I don’t like condiments, so no on the ketchup on eggs. My dad ate them that way sometimes. I don’t mind an omelet with a little chopped fresh tomato, cheese, and bacon or ham. I find most condiments, especially ketchup and mustard, to have strong flavors that overpower whatever you are adding them to (however, mayo is just gross :crazy2:).

If eating out in a restaurant and I order scrambled eggs, I can usually only eat about half before they bore me so I do add ketchup. When at home though, I only make one egg so I guess I don't have enough to get bored. I also add a piece of cut up salami to my scrambled eggs sometimes.

If I have scrambled will either put a little ketchup or hot sauce, but I feel scrambled eggs are the lazy cooks way of making eggs

Growing up my dad put ketchup or chili sauce on his scrambled eggs. I always thought it was disgusting but when I got older, didn’t think it was bad. Now, I could eat it but never think about it. DH & DS both put ketchup or chili sauce on their scrambled eggs. DS will sometimes use hot sauce. Daughter in law likes her scrambled eggs very dry and no ketchup.

I get pretty grossed out by ketchup on eggs especially since my dh also likes to dip his jelly toast in the leftover ketchup. I rarely make eggs for breakfast because I cannot stand to be around him eating them. I've never been able to break his ketchup habit and he hates mayo so all of his deli sandwiches have ketchup too. I should've bought stock in Heinz when we married 35 years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter