Keto Diet on DCL?

Jeanwill

Earning My Ears
We are going on a cruise next year and we have another couple that is thinking about joining us. They are on the Keto Diet and they adhere pretty strongly to it. Are there any cruisers out there who have tried cruising while on the Keto Diet? Did you tell the dining room in advance? What were your experiences?

Thanks in advance!

We are going on a cruise next year and we have another couple that is thinking about joining us. They are on the Keto Diet and they adhere pretty strongly to it. Are there any cruisers out there who have tried cruising while on the Keto Diet? Did you tell the dining room in advance? What were your experiences?

Thanks in advance!
While I haven't done it, I'll tell you this - it's ALWAYS a good idea to give the dining room/kitchen staff a head's up before your cruise if you require a special diet of any type. Otherwise, you take the chance that they won't have the ingredients necessary for what you want. It's not like they can go shopping once the cruise begins.

Thanks in advance!

I surely agree with PrincessShmoo on letting DCL know ahead of time. Disney is quite good at catering to special dietary needs.

DH and I have been doing the ketogenic diet recently & I don't think it will be too terribly difficult to continue it onboard IF they can resist all the VERY tempting sweets and breads! :laughing: I mean, bacon and eggs for breakfast every day, eggs Benedict w/o the english muffin, and meats, appropriate veggies with LOTS of butter, etc., and they should be pretty good. I would ask your friends how they deal with eating out? If they dine out in restaurants and stay kept, they should have a good idea of how to navigate. Pun intended. :lmao:

On our last cruise in May my parents were on Keto, and they only mentioned it to our servers at first dinner. Servers were very good about giving them extra oil/butters and helped them go over the menus to see what they could eat.

Let's just say for our upcoming cruise my parents are swapping over to just low carb so they can eat all the things they couldn't eat before :P

I surely agree with PrincessShmoo on letting DCL know ahead of time. Disney is quite good at catering to special dietary needs.

DH and I have been doing the ketogenic diet recently & I don't think it will be too terribly difficult to continue it onboard IF they can resist all the VERY tempting sweets and breads! :laughing: I mean, bacon and eggs for breakfast every day, eggs Benedict w/o the english muffin, and meats, appropriate veggies with LOTS of butter, etc., and they should be pretty good. I would ask your friends how they deal with eating out? If they dine out in restaurants and stay kept, they should have a good idea of how to navigate. Pun intended. :lmao:

Yeah... Plus by next year the Keto thing may not be the hot diet fad anymore - there may be something else "everyone" is on.

Yeah... Plus by next year the Keto thing may not be the hot diet fad anymore - there may be something else "everyone" is on.

:laughing: That could surely happen! I will tell you this, in many respects, it is the easiest diet I've tried. When I can have bacon and eggs for breakfast and bulletproof coffee, I do NOT get hungry. Wouldn't want to live on the diet forever, but it sure is working for us. :thumbsup2

My husband is eating low carb and did so on our last cruise. He just avoided carbs most of them time (none of us could resist the soft serve ice-cream). When he skipped dessert two nights in a row, our waiter asked if he did not like dessert, and he said he prefers cheese. The next several nights, the waiter brought him a cheese plate. I think a chat with the waiter would be all that is needed.

Very easy. They can order the cheese plate for snacks from room service. Breakfast has tons of meats, lunch has carving station, dinner can be the lighter fare which is meat and steamed veg.

I have been off an on keto myself (Not sure if I’ll survive my cruise with all that food though.) That said, I’ve read there is sugar in the scrambled eggs so stay away! Best of luck.

I have been off an on keto myself (Not sure if I’ll survive my cruise with all that food though.) That said, I’ve read there is sugar in the scrambled eggs so stay away! Best of luck.
I've been told that this is only in the buffet but if you get eggs in the MDR they are not

Dis Unplugged did a series of restaurant review videos -- on the Dream, I think. Pete was on the Keto diet at the time and they were able to accommodate him. You might check out the videos to get an idea of the options.

Keto should be fairly easy to follow onboard. As others already recommended, talk to your server on the first night. Substitutions are quite possible.

They put sugar in the eggs?? Ugh. I'm trying to eat really healthy and would have thought scrambled eggs would have been a safe choice. Why would they do that?

They put sugar in the eggs?? Ugh. I'm trying to eat really healthy and would have thought scrambled eggs would have been a safe choice. Why would they do that?

Large amounts of scrambled eggs are probably made from commercial packages of liquid eggs. The liquid eggs may have sugar as a stabilizer and it may be added so the eggs can easily be used for baked goods.

Ordering fried or poached eggs will eliminate this.

Large amounts of scrambled eggs are probably made from commercial packages of liquid eggs. The liquid eggs may have sugar as a stabilizer and it may be added so the eggs can easily be used for baked goods.

Ordering fried or poached eggs will eliminate this.
Thanks! I had no idea. This is probably why my dad is always telling me not to eat out since I don't know what I'm actually eating. I'll be avoiding the scramble eggs from now on.

I just cruised last month while on Keto. All you have to do is order appropriately and dont eat what you shouldnt eat. For instance, breakfast for me was eggs benedict with extra hollandaise. I just didnt eat the mufffin.

Dinner? Order a saucy meal but dont eat the starch.

I cheated some though - id have a nibble of dessert and while at Palo dinner I couldnt resiste the souffles. Upon coming back from the cruise, it took me only 7 days to get back into ketosis.

You can do it but it's up to YOU - not the servers...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter