Keurig

buzz1fan

DIS Veteran
We are new to the k- cups- I’d like to get my husband one for Christmas. I don’t drink coffee so mainly he will just use it. Don’t want to spend a lot.

Not sure what one to get.
I’d like to have these requirements.

be able to fit a travel cup in the AM to take to work
Make iced coffee- my son may use
Possibly be able to use coffee outside of k- cups, but not required.

I don’t want a coffee pot attached.
Also I’ve been reading they can make multiple sizes- can you add two cups at once? How is there enough coffee inside of it?

Keurig seems like a pricey way to make coffee. LOTS of refills sold by various brands, but still an expensive way to make a cup of coffee.

Keurig is a great way to make a quick single cup of coffee. If you are wanting to make mulitple cups at once a regular coffee pot is better.

There are refillable pods that you can buy at refill with regular coffee. I bought one for work recently.

Walmart had one on their pre Black Friday sales yesterday and today for $35. We are not coffee drinkers but my DD loves hot chocolate and I do too occasionally, and I wanted something for when we have visitors who like coffee since we did not have a pot at all. It ends tonight at midnight but I think you can order online still to pick up in store.

This one

The best way to make cheap single cups of outstanding coffee is to use a Toddy cold brew system. Once a week or two, make a new batch by soaking the coffee overnight. Refrigerate the concentrate, then use 1oz reheated in the microwave with water for a quick, cheap, low acid, not bitter cup of deliciousness. Cold brew rules! Add some chocolate almond milk for a taste treat.

Have you considered a Ninja Coffee Bar? I was a die hard Keurig user for years but when my machine started to crap out last year I decided to go with the ninja coffee bar instead for multiple reasons. I wanted something that had a travel mug setting and also wanted to be able to make iced coffee. My ninja has 4 size settings, standard coffee cup, travel mug, half pot, or full pot. It also has different brew strength settings, which I love. I use the travel mug setting during the week but drink more coffee on the weekends and typically use the half pot setting. My son has recently discovered the joy of a good cup of coffee so we can make a full pot on the weekends if we're both going to have multiple cups. The moeny savings from not having to buy kcups and the reduced trash is great.

If you are going to use a Keurig buy the refillable pods and use your own coffee, K-cups are expensive, the coffee is low quality and the discarded cups are an environmental disaster. I have two machines and for me they are a good choice-I drink one or two cups of coffee a week, usually at the office and using my own coffee and a refillable pod lets me control quality of the coffee better. I might be tempted to seek a different solution if I had not been gifted these machines.

The best way to make cheap single cups of outstanding coffee is to use a Toddy cold brew system. Once a week or two, make a new batch by soaking the coffee overnight. Refrigerate the concentrate, then use 1oz reheated in the microwave with water for a quick, cheap, low acid, not bitter cup of deliciousness. Cold brew rules! Add some chocolate almond milk for a taste treat.
I just bought one for my 17 year olds, I’m tired of buying cold brew.

I like to use Latin coffee for my Toddy cold brewed coffee. Try Cafe LaLLave or Pilon coffee. They are cheap (about $2.50 per pack) and are very good. We use decaf. You are going to save a lot of money by making it yourself.

If he's accustomed to and likes Keurig coffee, great gift.

Otherwise, rethink it for reasons given above. Definitely not a good buy if he's particular about his coffee.

I think the coffee in those pods always tastes off if not outright stale. Yuckola!

Well, yes, IF you live where there's recycling pickup or a dropoff site.

I was unpleasantly surprised to learn that there was no recycling service for our apartment complex in St. Louis when we moved here 14 years ago. There were no dropoffs closer than 40-50 miles from us either.

Thankfully, we did get recycling pickup about four years ago. Even in cities in some regions, there may be no recycling available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter