Key card

Rvillediser

Mouseketeer
First time DCL cruiser question: what do you carry your key card on/in? On a Carnival cruise eons ago guest services punched a hole in the corner and we carried it on a coily bracelet.
Thanks!

First time DCL cruiser question: what do you carry your key card on/in? On a Carnival cruise eons ago guest services punched a hole in the corner and we carried it on a coily bracelet.
Thanks!
Some people use a lanyard, others just put it in a pocket/wallet.

As far as I know, DCL won't punch a hole in it due to the unknown location of the computer chip embedded in the card used to open doors, etc.

Last edited:
We use the DCL App texting capability to keep our party of 5 in contact. (Yeah, it's not the best, but better than nothing) As such DW and I got phone cases that we can put our KTTW card in. Grab phone and get KTTW card. I'm always forgetting my lanyard, so this works out. The kids use their lanyards, because that works for them. There are a ton of different types on Amazon (wallet style...). We're platinum and I've used this since cruise #2

Thanks!
we all just use the lanyard

I use a lanyard with a carrier pocket.

But as a first-time cruiser you are not given one - so that would need to be purchased ahead of time...or held in your pocket until the shops open and you can buy one there.

I bought a vera bradley lanyard which holds the key card without having to have a hole punch. pirate:

My wife uses a lanyard while on the ship and in her wallet when in port I put the card in my wallet.

I use a lanyard with a carrier pocket.

But as a first-time cruiser you are not given one - so that would need to be purchased ahead of time...or held in your pocket until the shops open and you can buy one there.

The lanyard has the plastic pocket. Can you use the key card to open your stateroom without taking it out of that plastic pocket?

The lanyard has the plastic pocket. Can you use the key card to open your stateroom without taking it out of that plastic pocket?

Yep!

I specified the plastic pocket because I've seen people on lines where holes can be punched in the cards just attach them directly to a lanyard. With DCL the hole cannot be punched, so you need to ensure the lanyard has a pouch of some kind.

We use the DCL App texting capability to keep our party of 5 in contact. (Yeah, it's not the best, but better than nothing) As such DW and I got phone cases that we can put our KTTW card in. Grab phone and get KTTW card. I'm always forgetting my lanyard, so this works out. The kids use their lanyards, because that works for them. There are a ton of different types on Amazon (wallet style...). We're platinum and I've used this since cruise #2

What a great idea!

Just to clarify they will punch a hole in your card at Guest Services. We do it every cruise since son somehow always rips the plastic on his lanyard (as recently as late Oct cruise).

As a first time cruiser you should know the KTTWC is also what is used to turn on your lights in your room. However.... if you have an old WDW hotel key(or other hotel key that looks like a credit card) from the resorts, bring that with you and you can put that in the slot for the lights and just lift it out slightly when you leave to turn off the lights. A sturdy business care will work too.

I use my lanyard - I keep my KTTWC in it as well as a few business cards. I also put my ID in it when we go to CC so I don't have to carry my wallet on the island

Thanks Bonnie for the lights heads up. We are sailing on Fantasy. I'll definitely bring something to use in the slot! Thanks Dad of 3, I'm checking them out.

I have a phone case / wallet, and as my phone also is my camera, everything I need fits in my pocket.

As a first time cruiser you should know the KTTWC is also what is used to turn on your lights in your room. However.... if you have an old WDW hotel key(or other hotel key that looks like a credit card) from the resorts, bring that with you and you can put that in the slot for the lights and just lift it out slightly when you leave to turn off the lights. A sturdy business care will work too.

I use my lanyard - I keep my KTTWC in it as well as a few business cards. I also put my ID in it when we go to CC so I don't have to carry my wallet on the island

Yes, bring an old hotel key, etc that way you can just keep your card in the lanyard. It is a PITA to keep taking out the card to put in the light. Most people flying in should be staying the night before the cruise in a hotel anyway. So you can just use that card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter