Key West lovers or experts, please help

sk!mom

DIS Veteran
Traveling to Key West for 5 nights in June with two other couples. We have a house rented in Old Town. All first timers.

I’ve been reading Trip Advisor but it’s an overwhelming list of stuff. I’m looking to trim it to the absolute must dos for first timers.

We are all active and enjoy golf, museums, night life, and good food.

Two couples are driving down from FLL because we had free flights on SW. the other is flying direct. I’d love a suggestion for a great scenic lunch stop on the drive down.

What about in Key West, do we need reservations at restaurants?

Thanks in advance!

Its not cheap, but dinner at Latitudes on Sunset Keys is amazing and would need a reservation. I would not reserve too far before sunset or the sun will kill you, a little after is better

We have a home in Key West about 5 blocks from Duval.

If you like Bloodline, you can stop at Lorelei Restaurant & Cabana Bar. It was featured in the series.

In Key Largo you can eat at the Fish House which has awesome seafood (we stop to eat here every time we head down)

In Key West, there are some great places to eat. If you like cuban, you must try out El Siboney
Breakfast place to eat definitely Blue Heaven and coffee you must get Cuban Coffee Queen.
For Lunch we always go to Bien. The best roasted corn and sandwiches. Dinner you really do not need reservations. It depends on time of the year you are going but most of the fancier restauraunts typically have no wait. Many of the bars (especially the more touristy ones) are standing room only.
Seafood try BO's Fishwagon or Seven Fish.

Dessert you must try out Better than Sex. You should try and get a reservation there. This is where you save room for dessert.

The museums are ok. Check out Mel Fisher but what we always recommend are the ghost tours at night. You learn a lot about key west and they bring you to some very interesting locations. You go to a fort and get to see the famous Robert Doll that is haunted.

Key West is a favorite of ours! Love Pepe's for breakfast,Hogfish Bar and Grill on Stock Island is a must-hogfish (spear fished) is wonderful,but they don't always have it.Blue Heaven has a great atmosphere-not horribly crazy about the menu,but they do breakfast,lunch,and dinner.Key West Butterfly Conservatory is marvelous-so peaceful and beautiful-a butterfly might catch a ride on your shoulder!Hemingway House to see the six-toed cats.Goldman's deli on your way in or out of town-NY style deli.Pedicab for a fun ride.So much to see and do-have a wonderful time!

For your friend flying in directly-hope the weather is good.First time we went,the weather was too bad to make landing in KW viable,so we touched down in Miami and had to take a bus to KW.That was misery...

I went last year with the kids. On the road to Key West, we stopped at Alabama Jacks, the Florida Keys Wild Bird Sanctuary, Robbie’s Marina, Worldwide Sportsman, and Big Pine Key to see some deer. We had a very good lunch at a place called Herbie’s in Marathon and I had a couple beers at the No Name Pub.

In addition to some of the restaurants already named, try Glazed Donuts! I also like Turtle Kraals—I’ve been going there for many years. If you’re not already certified, I’d also recommend an intro to SCUBA course with Captain’s Corner. We rented bikes from Eaton’s Bikes to get around and didn’t need the car the whole time we were there.

The first thing to do is take a trolley trip around the island. You learn a lot about the history and historic places that you'll want to visit later. We go to the Hemingway house and the Butterfly Conservatory every time we visit. Check out the Tripadvisor forum. There is a sticky listing all the Happy Hour specials and it's a huge list! We always eat at Pepe's and Cuban Coffee Queen, the one off Caroline Street. We like the small joints with Cuban sandwiches more than fancy reservation only places. Amigos has great tacos. Bagatelle is good for breakfast and Happy Hours.

Sunset at Mallory Square is a nightly ritual. Go to the end in front of the Margaritaville Hotel and watch Dominique's house cat show. Tell him Molly & Paul sent you. The Cemetery is fascinating. You can print a map showing all the famous and infamous people interred there.

Our first trip we knew nothing and we were staying on the other end of Duval. Just told the taxi driver take us to Sloppy Joes. We ended up there every night. So fun to be a tourist at times

A day trip to Fort Jefferson.

B8CF5C7E-1DD8-B71B-0B62F152705DCACA.jpg

https://www.nps.gov/drto/learn/historyculture/fort-jefferson.htm
https://www.drytortugas.com
https://keywestseaplanecharters.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter