Keys for rental cars

katallo

DIS Veteran
Whenever we rent, we receive 2 keys on a holder that cannot be opened. Is there a way to ask for two separate keys? We'll have two drivers sharing one car.

Whenever we rent, we receive 2 keys on a holder that cannot be opened. Is there a way to ask for two separate keys? We'll have two drivers sharing one car.
I think that’s very unlikely In those cases where the keys have been put onto a single key ring. The rental companies like to keep those keys together with the cars, since the cars frequently move from one rental location to another. If the two keys are on separate key rings, there is no easy way to assure that the second key stays with the vehicle. They also impose a pretty steep fee for a lost key.

Now that many cars have switched from a key-activated ignition switch to a start-stop button that works in the presence of a key fob that is otherwise not physically connected to anything, rental car key rings can be even bulkier than those with two ignition keys. There’s another complication with these systems. At least some of them may not let you lock the car if it senses a key fob inside the vehicle (to prevent locking the key fob in the car?). For example, my “spare” key fob is inside a backpack that I want to lock inside the car while I go into a store to pick up a couple of items. I’m carrying the other fob. Cannot lock the car without taking both fobs with me.

I once had a rental car where the key fob stopped working. I guess the fob battery was low or something. Talk about panic attack, lol. But then google came to the rescue.

Every rental car I have ever used had the keys in the ignition waiting to go. That is the main reason they have those spike strips to deter car thieves. While you can ask at the counter, I doubt they will give you extra keys even if they have them. WAY too much of a hassle to keep track of mutiple sets of keys and then also make sure you return them at the end of the rental. Why not just give your set of keys to the other driver assuming you aren't planning to both be in the car at the same time.

Every rental car I have ever used had the keys in the ignition waiting to go. That is the main reason they have those spike strips to deter car thieves. While you can ask at the counter, I doubt they will give you extra keys even if they have them. WAY too much of a hassle to keep track of mutiple sets of keys and then also make sure you return them at the end of the rental. Why not just give your set of keys to the other driver assuming you aren't planning to both be in the car at the same time.
Thanks everyone. We were just trying to make it easier. We always get two keys or fobs on one ring that cannot be opened. Staying closeby, but we were hoping to not have to go to each others condos each time one of us had to go out. We'll work it out.

Lately, all rentals we’ve had over the last year, only provide 1 key/fob for the vehicle.

Lately, all rentals we’ve had over the last year, only provide 1 key/fob for the vehicle.
Agree, all cars that I have rented in the last 2 years have been push button with just the one key.

I agree about key fobs. Rental cars seem to be the current model vehicles since they put a LOT of miles on them. All new cars I am aware of have key fobs. Since I would imagine some rental cars get returned to a different city/location then where rented, it would be a HUGH logistical operation to keep that additional key/fob in the same location as the car.

I hate it when they give you this bulky key chain with two fobs on one ring. If you are handy and want to pack a pair of wire cutters you can do it yourself then just put them back on a generic key chain upon return.

I hate it when they give you this bulky key chain with two fobs on one ring. If you are handy and want to pack a pair of wire cutters you can do it yourself then just put them back on a generic key chain upon return.
I guess you could just walk into a Home Improvement Store, use the cutters on display and walk out.

Interesting--in all my years of renting, I've never seen 2 keys/fobs on a single ring. As mentioned above, as of late, the keys are in the car. Seems like a big hassle for the car rental company to replace TWO key fobs if the key ring gets lost rather than one. 🤷‍♀️

Interesting--in all my years of renting, I've never seen 2 keys/fobs on a single ring. As mentioned above, as of late, the keys are in the car. Seems like a big hassle for the car rental company to replace TWO key fobs if the key ring gets lost rather than one. 🤷‍♀️
I've rented a bunch in the last year. Often the keys are in the car. But yes, I have had numerous that have had two fobs on one ring. And it does make sense why they would do it.

It's probably not as big as a hassle as you'd think. Purchase new fobs, link them to the car. Any costs would be passed to the renter who lost the fobs. I think it would be more of a hassle if physical keys get lost. I assume the car would need to be rekeyed, which I assume is more of a hassle than programming new fobs.

Agree and in my original post I should have said fobs. I'm in the key generation. LOL

Last edited:
If they're not attached with a cable-like ring, I just break them apart, and make sure to return both when I return the car. Then I only have to carry one fob. Sometimes the plastic tag that comes with the keys is pretty bulky and annoying too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter