Kid sports and holidays

npmommie

<font color=red>Channels George Michael in her car
Do your kids participate in sports that have practice on holidays?
My dd is part of a gymnastic team. They practice longer in summer. I found out they intend to have practice on july 4 as usual, this is new, the gym has always been closed on holidays. They will be closed on memorial day. They practice in the evening even in summer. Til 9pm

Just curious of others opinions. We will still continue with plans, i will only let sports interfere to a point. I draw the line at july 4 festivities!! :rotfl:

I coach and never have practices on holidays. Family time and participation in community events is as important (and even more so) than some athletic events.

We do have coaches that disagree and schedule mandatory practices. Sometimes you have to take a stand and inform the coach as to why your child will not be at practice.

Do your kids participate in sports that have practice on holidays?
My dd is part of a gymnastic team. They practice longer in summer. I found out they intend to have practice on july 4 as usual, this is new, the gym has always been closed on holidays. They will be closed on memorial day. They practice in the evening even in summer. Til 9pm

Just curious of others opinions. We will still continue with plans, i will only let sports interfere to a point. I draw the line at july 4 festivities!! :rotfl:

I'd assume it's because it's a Wednesday and it's July 4th.

I mean as it's midweek, it's not like most people will be taking off for a long weekend like they would if it were on a Monday, and it's not like it's Christmas or some big holiday that everyone has off and does things. It's a minor thing falls midweek so I'd have kept it open too or kind of assumed it'd be open. I mean is it open President's Day, etc., etc., can't be closed for every minor thing.

Is this a "travel" or "select" team? Is there a meet/competition that next weekend? Did the coach just say "practice every Wednesday?"

When my DD played travel softball, we were at tournaments Memorial Day, 4th of July, & Labor Day.

My swimmer will have practice in the morning on July 4th.

DS had soccer practice on Halloween (evening). We've also had tournaments over holiday weekends - Labor Day, Memorial Day, and the Disney tournament Thanksgiving weekend.

Yes, my kids (15 and 13) ususally have baseball in some form (tournament, or practice) on holidays. This Memorial day is a 3 day baseball tournament. We had both kids with practice on Mother's day! The coaches get more competitive as the boys get older. Our lives are baseball, so we just roll with it.

My DD is also a competitive gymnast. For her gym, it depends on the holiday. Never practice on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years day. On Memorial Day & Labor Day they do a morning practice instead of normal evening practice so the kids who are not out of town (and the coaches) can be home for dinner cook-outs. We don't have our July 4th schedule for this year yet, but will likely also be a morning practice.

Never practices on holidays but there are almost always games.

Practices? Generally not. Games or tournaments, sure. There are always Memorial Day tournaments or games on Mothers Day. No big deal.

Is this a "travel" or "select" team? Is there a meet/competition that next weekend? Did the coach just say "practice every Wednesday?"

When my DD played travel softball, we were at tournaments Memorial Day, 4th of July, & Labor Day.
this is a private gymnastics team. the competition season is over. doesn't start again until fall. that week is the first week of the summer practice schedule. they double practice time over the summer.

My swimmer will have practice in the morning on July 4th.
that wouldn't bother me since the rest of the day is free for activities and fireworks in the night.
My DD is also a competitive gymnast. For her gym, it depends on the holiday. Never practice on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years day. On Memorial Day & Labor Day they do a morning practice instead of normal evening practice so the kids who are not out of town (and the coaches) can be home for dinner cook-outs. We don't have our July 4th schedule for this year yet, but will likely also be a morning practice.
we never have morning practice. :( its evenings 5-9pm.

well like I said, we have plans anyway, not going to sweat it. life is too short. she can do a makeup practice.

When DS has had practices scheduled on holidays (rarely, but it happens) and we already have plans, he misses practice.

We will be traveling 10 hours on July 4th this year for DD's traveling basketball team to a tournament so I guess that is a big YES to your question ;)

My oldest is a competative, state swimmer. He swims 4 hrs a day from July through March...everyday, holidays included. Also swims 2-3 times per week in the off season. In fact ,the coach has a big talk with the new parents that the kids shouldn't go on any vacations/miss practices during this time etc. The kid doesn't mind. He loves it.

Unless there was a competition within a few days, practices on holidays should be optional.

One of the girls DD dances with is also an awesome softball player. She is on both her high school team and a traveling team. As a freshman, she has already had colleges looking at her.

In the wise words of her dad, if skipping a few holidays over the next few years for softball tournaments and practices, means a bigger scholarship for my dd and less outta pocket I have to pay for college costs, so be it.

One of the girls DD dances with is also an awesome softball player. She is on both her high school team and a traveling team. As a freshman, she has already had colleges looking at her.

In the wise words of her dad, if skipping a few holidays over the next few years for softball tournaments and practices, means a bigger scholarship for my dd and less outta pocket I have to pay for college costs, so be it.

As a former university volleyball coach, if dad thinks missing the odd practice for family time on a holiday is going to impact her chances on getting a scholarship, he needs to look again.

DD11 plays club softball and travel soccer. they frequently have softball tournaments on holiday weekends.

I figure it's what we signed up for so it's what we need to do.

DD11 plays club softball and travel soccer. they frequently have softball tournaments on holiday weekends.

I figure it's what we signed up for so it's what we need to do.

Tournaments are different than practices, especially out-of-season practices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter