• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kid with Covid, need advice

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
My DH brought home Covid from work and this morning DS10 woke up with a 99F temp and felt run down and nauseous. I gave him some nonalcoholic ginger beer for nausea and some water to drink. He has the house cordless phone with him in his room in case he needs me. I plan to check his temp in a little while. I also put a call into our peditrician's after-hours line.

I suspect that I have it also because I felt horrible heart burn and nausea last night. Gaviscon and my rescue inhaler helped. I feel run down today and my temp is 99.1F.

Any advice? It will be days till we get out PCR test results back.

So sorry! I would assume it’s positive. Try to drink as much as possible and take some extra vitamins. vitamin C, D and Zinc are a good place to start. Also Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen can be alternated in between doses if you guys have or get fevers. Feel better soon!!!

Our son was advised to take zyrtec, pepsid, musinix, vitamins c, d, b complex and zinc when he had covid. The urgicare gave him a printout with these all listed

He drank emergen c which has a lot of the vitamins.

Gatorade or something with electrolytes. I like it with lots of ice. It was super refreshing to me when I had Covid and it helped with hydration.

Tylenol or Advil for aches and pains. I was also taking Benadryl/Zyrtec and ultimately had to have a round of steroids.

Lemon throat lozenges, hot tea with lemon.
Vitamin C supplement in tea.

Warm broth.

Good tissues. Eases the nose chapping.

Warm baths/showers helped ease pain and steam headaches, etc.

Nausea and GI issues came 2nd half for me. Stayed the course with what I was doing above.

Hope you all feel better soon and glad to hear you’re in touch with your doc. 🥰

Not much you can do except hunker down. I would push liquids. maybe some mild food if he is hungry like scrambled eggs and toast. Its good to touch base with his dr. although I doubt he will want to see your son in person since that could spread it. He may do a Telehealth appt. Just keep close eye to make sure he does not get worse.

Can you order some home tests? I believe amazon has some and many local pharmacies can ship them to your house.

Thanks y’all. I spoke to the pediatric nurse in call and she said to assume that he had Covid and act accordingly even though we don’t have the pcr test back. No one is delivering groceries today so I’m trying to make do with what we have and I’ll place an order today with the stuff y’all suggested. We don’t have a lot of food in the house because we thought we’d be on vacation. I’ll just no contact Door Dash today for meals like I did last night.

If anyone has any other suggestions for stuff I should order let me know. 🙂

If your husband has it, you both probably do too. This just happened in my sisters household. She brought it home and it got everyone else. The care protocol is the same as for flu: lots of fluids, rest, OTC Tylenol or Ibuprofen for fever or aches and pains, clear liquids/bland diet if there is nausea/vomiting/diarrhea. Monitor fever and if you have pulse oximeter, check that every 4 hours. Head to ER for any breathing difficulty. Get a test as soon as you can just so you have that confirmation for the purposes of health records, data collection, quarantine timeline purposes. If you can get your hands on rapid tests, and they are positive, you can skip the PCRs. But do let your doctors know you have it and tested positive via rapid and they will notify the local health department.

Order popsicles and jello. You might develop sore throats.

I recently found during a 15 day migraine accompanied by a sinus infection that biofreeze or tiger balm applied sparingly to my forehead and sides of my head helped in conjunction with pain medication. In your case it may help with your headaches and also help you rest as well.

So sorry. I agree with all of the above. Hopefully u can get all the stuff u need from the store.,Do you have anyone that can go to the grocery store for u?

Do you have a good friend who can grocery shop for you? They might have to hit a couple of stores to get everything. I have delivered groceries to a couple of friends who had a household with covid. We were lucky to have a kitchen full of fresh groceries when we had covid last year so we could survive for a week (and send our negative son back to his college apartment with plenty of food) while we were quarantined.

I recently found during a 15 day migraine accompanied by a sinus infection that biofreeze or tiger balm applied sparingly to my forehead and sides of my head helped in conjunction with pain medication. In your case it may help with your headaches and also help you rest as well.

wellpatch and other brands of adhesive migraine ice patches work well too. i can't tolerate any scents when i have a migraine so i cut these into smaller patches and put them on my forehead and temples.

op-you mention using a rescue inhaler. PLEASE if you experience any breathing difficulties seek out medical attention sooner vs. later.

Thanks for all of the advice. Unfortunately, my mom is self quarantined because of this and my friends are out of town. We just need to get through today. I had asthma growing up and received training on breathing difficulties. My DH just got me a new rescue inhaler. I can tell when it isn’t able to control breathing issues. I almost never asthma anymore unless I’m really sick so I didn’t realize that my inhaler expired.
Our goal today is to manage our symptoms and keep a close eye on each other for dangerous ones and get stuff delivered tomorrow.

Hydrate as much as possible. If you are Door Dashing for dinner, fast food places with a coke freestyle machine should have a Powerade option. In my area, those are Wendy's. Extra moisture in the air may help reduce mucus production if that is an issue. If you don't have a vaporizer or cool mist humidifier, you can fill a crockpot with water and run it on low with the lid off, just make sure it doesn't run dry over night. Take care.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate-having had Covid, this was my biggest problem because I was nauseous and dizzy along with everything else. My doctor told me to get water in me all day, even if all I could take was a sip every few minutes. Right now my sister's middle daughter has it, as well as her DH and both young daughters. For them it started with a scratchy throat.

One suggestion that I don't think anyone else had made yet is to order a pulse oximeter from Amazon. They're normally available with 2-day shipping, and can give you info about when it's a good idea to head to the ER if necessary.

One suggestion that I don't think anyone else had made yet is to order a pulse oximeter from Amazon. They're normally available with 2-day shipping, and can give you info about when it's a good idea to head to the ER if necessary.
Absolutely. My husband did that and I ended up with oxygen saturation of 88%.

No advice, but I did want to wish you & your son get well wishes
and PD :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter