Kidani or Jambo??

niclodn

DIS Veteran
For a one-night stay with a zebra and swimming pool loving 6 year old and a 70+ year old grandma (along with myself), would you pick a studio at Kidani, club level studio at Jambo or regular room at Jambo?

This will be the last night of a 10 day trip. The first part of the trip is in a 2-bedroom villa at BCV with some other family members. Once we check out of BCV, our plan is to head straight to AKV not leave the resort until check out time the next morning. My mom will most likely want to spend the time lounging by the pool, reading on the balcony/savannah view areas of the resort or napping, so being able to get into the room as early as possible would be a priority. The 6 year old will most likely want to swim and watch the animals in addition to taking part in some the other resort activities. I will just be following her lead. I know the pool at Jambo is larger, but I think she would enjoy the kids play area at Kidani (I've never stayed at Kidani before so am just going off photos I've seen of the pool/play area). I know dining options are limited at Kidani, but I'm sure we'll have some groceries/snacks leftover from earlier in the week. And we can always venture over to Jambo or even Springs if we want something more substantial. I also like the idea of a studio so that we have a sofa vs just beds to sit on in the room; however, we will have the balcony so that may not be necessary - especially if we cannot get into the room until late in the afternoon/early evening.

I'm sure any of these options will be more than fine, but am torn as to what to book. What would you do given this scenario? TIA!

Do you own at AKV? It not, I would say the club level is out. Those are hard to get even for owners. Which room category would you be getting at Kidani? If it’s a standard studio, my vote would be for Jambo instead. With Jambo, you have the chance of getting a partial savanna view (request Kudu trail) plus you have more food options there. You can still use the Kidani pool when staying at Jambo.

Do you own at AKV? It not, I would say the club level is out. Those are hard to get even for owners. Which room category would you be getting at Kidani? If it’s a standard studio, my vote would be for Jambo instead. With Jambo, you have the chance of getting a partial savanna view (request Kudu trail) plus you have more food options there. You can still use the Kidani pool when staying at Jambo.
This will be a cash reservation. All 3 options are currently available. We will definitely do a savannah view.

This will be a cash reservation. All 3 options are currently available. We will definitely do a savannah view.
So if you are doing savanna-view, people will tell you to go with Kidani due to being able to possibly get a lower room more on eye level with the animals. Jambo’s DVC rooms are all on the 5th and 6th floors. The 6th floor is only club level. The issue I have with booking savanna-view at Kidani is that you might be placed on the Pembe instead of the Sunset Savanna. Sunset has zebras and giraffes, whereas Pembe does not. All of Jambo’s savanna-view rooms face savannas with zebras and giraffes.

So if you are doing savanna-view, people will tell you to go with Kidani due to being able to possibly get a lower room more on eye level with the animals. Jambo’s DVC rooms are all on the 5th and 6th floors. The 6th floor is only club level. The issue I have with booking savanna-view at Kidani is that you might be placed on the Pembe instead of the Sunset Savanna. Sunset has zebras and giraffes, whereas Pembe does not. All of Jambo’s savanna-view rooms face savannas with zebras and giraffes.
Good to know. I may look at a regular room at Jambo instead of the studio then.

Good to know. I may look at a regular room at Jambo instead of the studio then.
If you do decide on a Kidani savanna view studio, request a view of the Sunset savanna, which is the majority of the savanna view rooms at Kidani.

I think you’ll enjoy either building. Jambo has the wow factor when you walk into the lobby, the QS restaurant Mara, the buffet Boma, the bar Victoria Springs and the signature restaurant Jiko, the larger gift shop, & the larger pool. But the studios are on the 5th floor & the club studios are on the 6th floor & not all of them overlook a savanna.
Kidani has a great kids splash area - I agree your 6 yr. old will enjoy it, studios on all floors, & generally there are more zebras on Sunset savanna than on Arusha or Uzima savannas. The restaurant at Kidani - Sanaa also has windows w/ views of Sunset savanna. The studios in Kidani are larger.
It is very easy to go between the 2 buildings, it’s a 10 minute walk, there’s a shuttle bus that runs between them picking up/dropping off near the lobbies, and park buses stop at Kidani first Jambo second, DS buses travel in the opposite direction - thus either building would be fine, I’d lean towards staying savanna view in Kidani & requesting Sunset savanna view lower floor & plan dinner at Boma so that you can enjoy Jambo too :)
Savanna overlook locations:
Pembe - by the Kidani pool
Sunset - outside behind Kidani’s lobby & on the left off the Jambo lobby
Arusha - outside behind Jambo’s lobby
Uzima - by the Jambo pool

I think you’ll enjoy either building. Jambo has the wow factor when you walk into the lobby, the QS restaurant Mara, the buffet Boma, the bar Victoria Springs and the signature restaurant Jiko, the larger gift shop, & the larger pool. But the studios are on the 5th floor & the club studios are on the 6th floor & not all of them overlook a savanna.
Kidani has a great kids splash area - I agree your 6 yr. old will enjoy it, studios on all floors, & generally there are more zebras on Sunset savanna than on Arusha or Uzima savannas. The restaurant at Kidani - Sanaa also has windows w/ views of Sunset savanna. The studios in Kidani are larger.
It is very easy to go between the 2 buildings, it’s a 10 minute walk, there’s a shuttle bus that runs between them picking up/dropping off near the lobbies, and park buses stop at Kidani first Jambo second, DS buses travel in the opposite direction - thus either building would be fine, I’d lean towards staying savanna view in Kidani & requesting Sunset savanna view lower floor & plan dinner at Boma so that you can enjoy Jambo too :)
Savanna overlook locations:
Pembe - by the Kidani pool
Sunset - outside behind Kidani’s lobby & on the left off the Jambo lobby
Arusha - outside behind Jambo’s lobby
Uzima - by the Jambo pool
Great information. It is worth mentioning that the Sunset Savanna is shared by both Kidani and Jambo. OP also needs to keep in mind that requesting the Sunset Savanna is just a request and not a guarantee. If the 6yo is zebra-loving, Jambo will guarantee a savanna with zebras (and also giraffes), no matter which savanna-view room is assigned. With Kidani, there is a chance of getting the Pembe Savanna which has no zebras (or giraffes).

Is there specific animals that roam specific savannahs only?
Yes and which animals are where changes through time. For example, Gordon the giraffe in my avatar was relocated from the park to Uzima savanna at the lodge & then he was moved from Uzima to Arusha savanna - he was a bit too curious.
There are 4 savannas at AKL/AKV.
The largest savanna at 18 acres is Sunset which lies between Jambo & Kidani. Sunset always has giraffes & has been where part of the Hartmann mountain zebra breeding herd is kept - Disney participates in the AZA species survival breeding program for Hartmanns Mt. Zebras. If there are baby zebras at the lodge they’ll likely be on Sunset Here’s a YouTube showing the youngest zebra & the herd on Sunset savanna
Arusha savanna is 11 acres & is the central savanna at Jambo. There are always giraffes on Arusha & in the past usually one pair of non Hartmann’s zebra.
Uzima savanna - also 11 acres - is on the right side of Jambo and will have giraffes (I saw 2 baby giraffe w/ their moms on Uzima a couple of years ago) & typically a pair of non Hartmanns zebra (although at one point Uzima d/n have any zebra.) Uzima in Dec. had a young very very rare Addax - here’s my photo of it
A65EB85E-69E0-4ECD-A2FB-3C55C0EB31C0.jpeg
Pembe is the smallest savanna at 4 acres & does not have giraffes or free roaming zebra - although they have in the past sectioned off part of Pembe to function as a Hartmanns Mt. zebra nursery/maternity area.

This is all great information! Although I'm not sure it's really helping me in making a decision. LOL. Although I do think I've ruled out a studio at Jambo. I definitely think that we will request a Sunset savanna view and lower floor. Now to just decide between a studio at Kidani or a regular room at Jambo.... Thanks everyone!

Yes and which animals are where changes through time. For example, Gordon the giraffe in my avatar was relocated from the park to Uzima savanna at the lodge & then he was moved from Uzima to Arusha savanna - he was a bit too curious.
There are 4 savannas at AKL/AKV.
The largest savanna at 18 acres is Sunset which lies between Jambo & Kidani. Sunset always has giraffes & has been where part of the Hartmann mountain zebra breeding herd is kept - Disney participates in the AZA species survival breeding program for Hartmanns Mt. Zebras. If there are baby zebras at the lodge they’ll likely be on Sunset Here’s a YouTube showing the youngest zebra & the herd on Sunset savanna
Arusha savanna is 11 acres & is the central savanna at Jambo. There are always giraffes on Arusha & in the past usually one pair of non Hartmann’s zebra.
Uzima savanna - also 11 acres - is on the right side of Jambo and will have giraffes (I saw 2 baby giraffe w/ their moms on Uzima a couple of years ago) & typically a pair of non Hartmanns zebra (although at one point Uzima d/n have any zebra.) Uzima in Dec. had a young very very rare Addax - here’s my photo of it
View attachment 655368
Pembe is the smallest savanna at 4 acres & does not have giraffes or free roaming zebra - although they have in the past sectioned off part of Pembe to function as a Hartmanns Mt. zebra nursery/maternity area.

I wonder if Gordon is the curious one who was relocated from the park because he kept trying to eat the windshield wipers off the safari jeeps because he wondered what they were!
To the OP, I'd be tempted to go with a regular room at Jambo. I too am a 70 yo grandma, and the walking at Kidani nearly did me in. Both times I requested a room near the lobby, which got me in the very furthest "pod" one time, and in the fourth pod the other time. Once I requested lower floor, and got fourth floor.
The Sunset Lounge, behind the check-in desk at Jambo is a great, usually quiet area to read and watch the animals,

Jambo is a truly spectacular place. Kidani is fine, but they aren't really comparable. Plus I think you will appreciate having extra space and a real bed.

Is there a reason you are paying cash instead of trying to rent points? It's my understanding that renting through someone else is generally cheaper than the cash rate.

Jambo has flamingos near the pool and they also have Pelicans at Arusha. There are big beautiful rocking chairs around out back which never seems to congested.
The viewing area at Kidani is nicer because the fencing is lower than the fencing at Jambo

Last edited:
Jambo would be my vote due to the amount of walking you might have to do at Kidani as your room could be far from everything.

Kidani is known for having the better pool for children but you could walk or bus over if you want to. Jambo pool is usually preferred by adults. Both are nice pools, Jambo is one of my favorites.

Kidani has a community center with activities to do (didn't see anyone mention this) but for one night I would doubt you'd use it.

Last edited:
Jambo is a truly spectacular place. Kidani is fine, but they aren't really comparable. Plus I think you will appreciate having extra space and a real bed.

Is there a reason you are paying cash instead of trying to rent points? It's my understanding that renting through someone else is generally cheaper than the cash rate.

If we decide to do a villa, I will try to rent points. Definitely much cheaper to do so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter