Kidani Refurb

mousestruck

DIS Veteran
I just read that Kidani is undergoing a refurb February through September. I have a savanna view studio booked there for a June trip, so I was not thrilled to hear this news. I chose Kidani because I feel the savanna views are usually better than those at Jambo - and we love the animals. I’m thinking about waitlisting for a switch to Jambo, or even WL. It seems like the work is focused on the roof, but I’m not sure how disruptive this work will be. Lots of construction can be less than magical. Thoughts?

I just read that Kidani is undergoing a refurb February through September. I have a savanna view studio booked there for a June trip, so I was not thrilled to hear this news. I chose Kidani because I feel the savanna views are usually better than those at Jambo - and we love the animals. I’m thinking about waitlisting for a switch to Jambo, or even WL. It seems like the work is focused on the roof, but I’m not sure how disruptive this work will be. Lots of construction can be less than magical. Thoughts?
I also have a Savannah view booked for April. First thing I thought when you said roof work was how construction noise would naturally keep the animals from grazing close to the building. Wildlife and construction noise does not sound like a good pairing. I am renting the points for this stay from another member directly, so I don’t see I have options for changing things now.

My son and family will be there in March. I will be stopping by of course (staying at BCV). They purposely booked for theme and hoping my grandson would get a kick of seeing the "animals" from their balcony........

I have a reservation in late April to early May and hope the refurb will not be a big deal. An outdoor refurb actually began Jan 2022 with the pool, and later through October for other outside areas such as outside the lobby area, with limited areas being done at any given time. It appears the one for Feb through Sep 2023 is mainly for the roof, and with that amount of time, I assume they will be working on only a limited part of the roof at any particular time.

It's interesting, I was about to come here and ask a question about this refurb. I see nowhere on the official WDW or DVC sites that say the work is focused on the roof. I swear it mentioned this before and I know the news / rumor / blog sites all indicated it was roof work.

Do we know the work from Feb - Sept is actually just focusing on the roof?

We were their work began. The Zebras and Giraffes did not like the roof work but the Ostriches did. They come over to hang out and see what was going on. It was the first day but the animals were grazing around like normal in the early morning before work started.

We were their work began. The Zebras and Giraffes did not like the roof work but the Ostriches did. They come over to hang out and see what was going on. It was the first day but the animals were grazing around like normal in the early morning before work started.
How loud was the roof work? Was it audible from your room?

How loud was the roof work? Was it audible from your room?
It wasn’t that loud. A little annoying with the door open but fine with it closed. We were in Rafiki and the roof work was across the savanna in Pumba. They just had a small section with fencing to keep the animals out of that specific area. They started around 8:30 or 9 but we checked out at 11 so I can’t tell you when they stopped.

It wasn’t that loud. A little annoying with the door open but fine with it closed. We were in Rafiki and the roof work was across the savanna in Pumba. They just had a small section with fencing to keep the animals out of that specific area. They started around 8:30 or 9 but we checked out at 11 so I can’t tell you when they stopped.
Assuming you mean the door to the balcony? We are going in June for 15 nights so wouldn't be on the balcony much w/the heat that time of year. Just don't want to get annoyed by the noise after having such a wonderful and peaceful stay at Kidani in December. Thanks.

Just wrapped up a short (thankfully) stay there and boy does it need a refurb. Room felt like a Hilton from the 90s. Was my first stay and likely my last. Not at all impressed.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. That said, not sure how the theming of a AKV - Kidani room could remind you of a Hilton from the 90s. Does it need a refresh? Sure, but I am thankful it still has theming that doesn't look like every other room on Disney property.

We are new DVC owners and had out first magical stay at our home resort last year (GFV)..This September we have 4 nights booked at Kidani in a 1 bed Savannah view, are we assuming all work will be complete by then?
Its our first visit to AKV so don’t want anything to spoil it 😀
Are there any room suggestions for the best views etc?
Many thanks in advance…

Last edited:
We atr nrw DVC ownders ans had out first magical stay at our home resort last year (GFV)..This September we have 4 nights booked in a 1 bed Savannah view, are we assuming all work will be complete by then?
Its out first visit to AKV so dont want anything to spoil it 😀
Are there any room suggestions for the best views etc?
Many thanks in advance…
More than 80% of the Savanna view rooms overlook the Sunset savanna and views are generally good from anywhere on that side of the building. The other savanna view rooms overlook the Pembe savanna on the Northwest side of the resort. It is a much smaller savanna than Sunset, views are OK but it does not have giraffes and zebras like Sunset.

As a result, you should consider making your lead request, through MS, for a room overlooking the Sunset savanna (requests are considered in order given). The real issue at Kidani can be distance from room to lobby, pool and bus station. The building, end to end, is about 2/3rd of a mile long, one of the longest single hotel-type buildings in the world (and by world I mean on earth not just WDW), meaning the walking distance from room to lobby in the center of the building, can be as long as 1/3 mile). As a result, a second request to consider is one that can avoid a room very far from the lobby. Since majority of visitors have been to Kidani before and know the distance problem, many request close to lobby, but that should likely be avoided -- if granted you are fine but problem is that huge numbers always request close to lobby with the result that many do not get it (and end up far from the the lobby). Requests I have made, that have usually been granted, are either (a) for a room close to Rafiki elevator (on the north wing within a reasonable distance from the lobby, which elevator, down to the ground, parking lot floor, provides the shortest walk from the building to a pool gate); or (b) a room near the Timon elevator on the south wing (also not overly far from the lobby and provides short walk from second floor to a door that goes directly to the bus station). Both those areas also provide very good savanna views.

As to a refurb, the pool and a number of outside areas were done last year, the roof work started early Feb and is to be done in sections until Oct. Following the usual 7-year refurb schedule, the internal refurb is likely not to begin until 2024.

Last edited:
More than 80% of the Savanna view rooms overlook the Sunset savanna and views are generally good from anywhere on that side of the building. The other savanna view rooms overlook the Pembe savanna on the Northwest side of the resort. It is a much smaller savanna than Sunset, views are OK but it does not have giraffes and zebras like Sunset.

As a result, you should consider making your lead request, through MS, for a room overlooking the Sunset savanna (requests are considered in order given). The real issue at Kidani can be distance from room to lobby, pool and bus station. The building, end to end, is about 2/3rd of a mile long, one of the longest single hotel-type buildings in the world (and by world I mean on earth not just WDW), meaning the walking distance from room to lobby in the center of the building, can be as long as 1/3 mile). As a result, a second request to consider is one that can avoid a room very far from the lobby. Since majority of visitors have been to Kidani before and know the distance problem, many request close to lobby, but that should likely be avoided -- if granted you are fine but problem is that huge numbers always request close to lobby with the result that many do not get it (and end up far from the the lobby). Requests I have made, that have usually been granted, are either (a) for a room close to Rafiki elevator (on the north wing within a reasonable distance from the lobby, which elevator, down to the ground, parking lot floor, provides the shortest walk from the building to a pool gate); or (b) a room near the Timon elevator on the south wing (also not overly far from the lobby and provides short walk from second floor to a door that goes directly to the bus station). Both those areas also provide very good savanna views.

As to a refurb, the pool and a number of outside areas were done last year, the roof work started early Feb and is to be done in sections until Oct. Following the usual 7-year refurb schedule, the internal refurb is likely not to begin until 2024.
Many thanks Drusba, we have made notes and will request nearer the time, can’t wait to visit the resort as have eaten there a few times but never stayed!

We will be at Kidani in August for a few nights and hopefully the Moonlight Magic event. Hoping the roof work isn't too noisy. Perhaps we'll get some reports as more members experience the work during their stays.

@mousestruck thanks for raising the questions.

So what exactly have they been doing? Surely it not just roof work for the last 7 months???

So what exactly have they been doing? Surely it not just roof work for the last 7 months???
It's a lot of roof to cover (no pun intended). The only work we saw in June while there was roof work. We actually didn't see it but we were on the top floor and for an hour or two we could hear drilling coming from above us.

Since Feb, they have been redoing the roof in flimitedl sections at a time with suspected completion by October. I do not consider that a long period of time for the roof when you consider that the Kidani building is about 2/3rd of a mile long.

So for a room request, you'd suggest, "sunset savanna near Rafiki or Timon elevator"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter