• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids 1 mile race

jblairosu

Earning My Ears
I was hoping someone has participated in the kids 1 mile race and could answer some questions.

My son will be running in the 1 mile during the Wine and Dine weekend. Where will I be able to see him? Are there multiple places (at the start and at the finish), or is there not time to move to see him more than once?

I saw some videos that had Mickey or Pluto at what seemed to be the finish line. Is there typically a character at the end?

Any other tips or info you have would be appreciated too!

There is usually a character at the end.

I don't believe a mile is really enough time to watch your kids more than the start and finish (I think the start and finish are usually close to each other).

While my child has not done the mile race (100m) I have been there for two separate years of kids races (2015 and 2016 WDW marathon weekend). Here is the W&D Kids race mile course:

Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 7.46.03 PM.png

The red line is the official mile course. My black arrows are conceivably the best path to see your child multiple times. The yellow circles are the problem spots. You could probably be at the start, head to the first black arrow on the opposite side of the course, and then head to the finish. The one thing you'd have to be concerned about is cutting off the kids in either the first or second yellow circle spot. That second yellow circle is a major choke point because the track is surrounded by a fence (see pic below). So there is only one opening into the track (and likely unless you're quick, by then there could be kids on their final lap of the course).

IMG_1798.JPG

Based on this I would say, no. Unless you plan on also running around too there won't be much of a chance to see the beginning, somewhere in the middle, and the end. In fact, I'd venture to guess based on how fast you think your child will run that you may only see them at the beginning or the end. Although, I've never personally participated in this event so these are just guesses based on the course and based on me being there during that time frame (lots of other people around and about). So take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Mickey was there both years (2015 and 2016 at WDW marathon weekend).

Hope this helps!

While my child has not done the mile race (100m) I have been there for two separate years of kids races (2015 and 2016 WDW marathon weekend). Here is the W&D Kids race mile course:

View attachment 201654

The red line is the official mile course. My black arrows are conceivably the best path to see your child multiple times. The yellow circles are the problem spots. You could probably be at the start, head to the first black arrow on the opposite side of the course, and then head to the finish. The one thing you'd have to be concerned about is cutting off the kids in either the first or second yellow circle spot. That second yellow circle is a major choke point because the track is surrounded by a fence (see pic below). So there is only one opening into the track (and likely unless you're quick, by then there could be kids on their final lap of the course).

View attachment 201656

Based on this I would say, no. Unless you plan on also running around too there won't be much of a chance to see the beginning, somewhere in the middle, and the end. In fact, I'd venture to guess based on how fast you think your child will run that you may only see them at the beginning or the end. Although, I've never personally participated in this event so these are just guesses based on the course and based on me being there during that time frame (lots of other people around and about). So take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Mickey was there both years (2015 and 2016 at WDW marathon weekend).

Hope this helps!
Actually I made it happen. My sister ran the mile in January and I got pictures of her at the start, middle, and finish. However this mile course is different than the one she ran. I would have a harder time doing that here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter