Kids Club Age Change

My oldest turns 11 soon after our cruise, so he just barely will make the cut off. He’d be devastated if I had to tell him he wouldn’t be allowed to go— this is our first ever cruise and I’ve totally hyped it up for my kids with lots of videos of the kids club — he loves Star Wars and all the theming! And he’s got an adhd diagnosis that makes him delayed maturity-wise so I know he would have ZERO interest in edge or whatever their tween programming is called.

Disney probably just doesn’t want to staff it adequately to provide appropriate supervision for the combined age range. Kind of disappointing when this is literally and specifically the reason I’ve chosen to pay the premium Disney charges compared to other cruise lines..

The CMs have only just been told themselves.
It apparently may be difficult for 10 year olds to go to Edge now that the numbers for Edge will automatically be higher.
No, no overlap ages anymore for Club/Lab and Edge.
It has nothing to do with not staffing Club and Lab appropriately as they have been doing it appropriately for years.
Unfortunately no matter when this change was announced, there will be a lot of people affected and upset so they have to start somewhere

On all other cruise lines the children are separated by age ranges. This actually puts them in line with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I actually think it makes much more sense that way.

Disney use to seperate club and lab. But now with the design of the club on the Wish they can't even back to it. Plus all the other lines have 11 yos under childrens programing, use they are different age groups within the kids they all go through at least age 11. Its the 11 that is the issue, I don't think removing 12 is much of an issue.

Disney probably just doesn’t want to staff it adequately to provide appropriate supervision for the combined age range.
Actually, for the regulations that I believe DCL follows, I don't believe there is any staffing ratio difference between 10 yr olds vs 12 yrs old. The younger children (up to age 5 or 6, I think) already requires a higher staffing ratio.

Unless you mean staffing for age-specific programming, which DCL hasn't exactly offered at the Club/Lab until a very recent trial. I suspect they've found that the majority of kids 11-12 opt for Edge programming vs Club/Lab programming. I get it, my own DD was not ready for Edge at that age, either. But I do think we're in the minority based on reading posts here over the years.

On all other cruise lines the children are separated by age ranges. This actually puts them in line with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I actually think it makes much more sense that way.
Maybe, but to give one weeks’ notice of something so significant for families is really something. For my eleven year old I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable having her spend nights there where they’re free to come and go with fourteen year olds.

Calling was useless - they told us to talk to counselors when we get there to see if there’s wiggle room. Yeah right. And also, poor counselors!! Way to throw them under the bus dealing with upset parents!!

The only thing she would do is give me an email address to contact: dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com and include your sail date and other information. Gonna go do that now, we’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Calling was useless - they told us to talk to counselors when we get there to see if there’s wiggle room. Yeah right. And also, poor counselors!! Way to throw them under the bus dealing with upset parents!!

The only thing she would do is give me an email address to contact: dcl.guest.communicafions@disneycruise.com and include your said date and other information. Gonna go do that now, we’ll see what happens.
I can confirm now there will be no wiggle room for older children to come down into Club/Lab

I don’t mean staffing as far as having the legal minimum child:teacher ratio.
I mean in response to complaints raised in the other thread about the wide age range and having developmentally appropriate programming to keep preschoolers and 10-12 year olds engaged and avoid conflict.

While I agree that breaking it up into smaller age ranges makes sense, Disney has massive kids clubs with elaborate theming around Star Wars and Marvel. 11 and 12 year olds still want to use those facilities. Now they are in a much smaller space that is mostly just a lounge for playing video games.

Our other concern of course is simply the timing of the announcement. We did a European cruise this summer and we booked Princess over Celebrity based solely on the age grouping to ensure our kids would be in the same one. We didn't know about this change for DCL until after we'd booked and paid in full.

I emailed DCL and at least suggested that they provide an OBC for those families that are now having our children get split up. I realize they need to make the change sometime and it can't be perfect, but at least soften the blow with some $ for family activities.

While I agree that breaking it up into smaller age ranges makes sense, Disney has massive kids clubs with elaborate theming around Star Wars and Marvel. 11 and 12 year olds still want to use those facilities. Now they are in a much smaller space that is mostly just a lounge for playing video games.

Our other concern of course is simply the timing of the announcement. We did a European cruise this summer and we booked Princess over Celebrity based solely on the age grouping to ensure our kids would be in the same one. We didn't know about this change for DCL until after we'd booked and paid in full.

I emailed DCL and at least suggested that they provide an OBC for those families that are now having our children get split up. I realize they need to make the change sometime and it can't be perfect, but at least soften the blow with some $ for family activities.
Exactly, like I said, if the age ranges are a problem they could hire more staff to break out age-appropriate programming for the 10-12 year olds *within the footprint* of the oceaneer’s club. They’re just, instead, creating a whole new age range problem. A lot of 11-12 year olds (particularly boys…with adhd…like mine) are not ready for edge.

Although I agree with the premise of the tighter age guidelines, not having dedicated programming and check in/check out for 10 and 11 year olds is a huge mistake. Edge is too much of a free for all for my son (and most other 10/11 year olds) , who will be 10 by only 1 week on our next scheduled 7 day. So I'm cancelling and along with it will get refunds for 2 of my other placeholders. We've cruised Disney for more than a decade and we are very lucky to have enjoyed all those years worry free with our kids secured in the clubs, but that is the whole reason we cruise DCL.

Although I agree with the premise of the tighter age guidelines, not having dedicated programming and check in/check out for 10 and 11 year olds is a huge mistake. Edge is too much of a free for all for my son (and most other 10/11 year olds) , who will be 10 by only 1 week on our next scheduled 7 day. So I'm cancelling and along with it will get refunds for 2 of my other placeholders. We've cruised Disney for more than a decade and we are very lucky to have enjoyed all those years worry free with our kids secured in the clubs, but that is the whole reason we cruise DCL.
This change doesn’t affect 10 year olds, only 11-12

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter