Kids headed to College Fall 2012 Check-in

Bringing this back up to see how the summer went for everyone. The transition back home after freshman year was not as hard as I feared. DD got a job at Subway and enjoyed the summer. I loved having her home and she was actually a *little* sad about leaving to go back.

I have not heard much from her and she can't talk much when I have tried to call her. She seems happy though and excited about her "littles" and likes her classes. I miss her. :sad::sad::sad:

Summer was amazing. Mike started his own internet business and made good money for the first time in his life. This is not an outside job his sponsorship requested he NOT take so this was a great way to make a few bucks. He's also learned the importance of a budget.:thumbsup2

He returned to school on 8/19. He loooooves his school but is not a big fan of two of his classes, required cores that are boring :lmao: I told him to get used to it!

His favorite class this year, surprisingly, is MATH! He has an awesome teacher and is finally getting it and enjoying it. I'm SHOCKED! :scared1: Math was his nemesis for years in elementary thru high, so glad he loves it now.

I'm amazed at how much he's grown in one year. I am so glad, I knew he and college would be a match.

My great niece is loving the Navy, also. She graduated in Chicago and now is stationed in Florida. She's also finally joined Facebook! It's good to keep up with her there because she's so quiet and shy and I can find out how she's doing without nagging her.:cutie:

Summer was good but no permanent job but was able to make some money. Due to his Main Stage play in the spring he wasn't able to get home and get application in....but the theater experience was awesome.

This started off with a bang. He was again cast in a Main stage play which shows in October. Then cast in another great play with a senior director that cast him against the traditional rules.... such a huge vote of confidence. Though he currently has 38hrs a week of rehearsal on top of 5 classes at college. It's a tough curriculum at Fordham and theater majors don't' get a break.

I'm glad others had a great summer and hoping that their years have begun with a bang.

Ds worked as much as he could this summer. Yay!

He also totaled his car a block from the house in broad daylight. Car stopped to turn in front of him, road was wet and he had just gotten off the phone. Saw what was coming in time to steer the car so the passenger front hit the trailer hitch of the car in front and it tore through many important parts of the engine. Arghh! Grateful he's ok, but he's without a car at school and he's figuring out how to get by without. And now working as a referee through the rec center at school.

He found it difficult to reconnect with his high school buddies this summer. They are all now in different places of life now. It was a bit sad to see him sad that that chapter of life and those friendships have changed.

But he still loves his college, especially his girlfriend he met at college and his fraternity. He's living in the chapter house with 7 other guys including, his last year's roommate. So it's good to see new friendships growing. He's very involved in student government and got appointed as chairman of a commitee.

All in all, he's still doing well. And he'll be home this weekend! Woo hoo!

DD worked all summer at a summer camp. Hated it...the children were brats she said...but it got her out of the house M-F from 8-5 and she made money!! LOL Welcome to the real world!!
She could not wait to go back to school...she got in her choice dorm and her dorm faces the mountains so she is thrilled with her view. She is rooming with her roommates from last year. She is very happy to be back at school.

Summer went well for DD. She spent it in Portland OR (25,000 miles away! Okay...2500, but still!) She got herself a job, a place to live and did an internship with a doctor out there--all on her own. She chose Portland because Oregon Health and Sciences interests her for grad school.

My mom and I flew out for a long weekend to visit her and see Portland. We've never been there, had no connections, so I wanted to see what was what. Portland isn't featured in Epcot so that means I have never been there. ;) I really enjoy my short stay there. I could see why she loves it so much. Now, she's a bit "homesick" for the place.

She made friends out there and it won't surprise me if my baby girl ends up out that way. *sigh*

She was home 1 week before she took off for her summer adventure in OR and then was home 1 week before going back to school. There year is off to a great start, it seems and football is keeping her extremely busy along with classes.

She has 3 suitemates and 2 of them are good. One dates "Beauty's" son (remember her? Uh, yeah, I cut JC's hair last night! Talk about surreal!) Then theone that is actually in DD's room is not so hot. *sigh* Hopefully it'll get better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter