• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kid's RunDisney Races

DisLadyPA

Earning My Ears
Looking for advice, TIA!

So before I begin a little background:
My son is currently 2 1/2 and LOVES to run! (What 2yr old boy doesn't?!) He is always wanting to go out with me during my runs, but I usually have to turn him down because I don't get much time to actually run myself.

During the Princess weekend in February, I signed him up for the 100m dash. He took off, swerving in and out of other kids and parents and beat me to the finish line! Every since then all we hear is how he "ran fast" and "high-fived Goofy". He has been begging to run another race, so I signed him up for another 100m dash during the Wine and Dine weekend.

Tonight he begged and pleaded to go with me, so I took him out for what I figured might only be down the street before he gave up. Well... let's just say he knocked my socks off! I kept asking him if he wanted to stop; nope, he just kept on going. He ran an entire mile in about 14:05 mins (including stopping to wait for cars to get around, don't quite trust him to run single file!).

Now I am debating switching him to the One Mile race instead of the 100m dash. He definitely proved he could do it. He's also one of those kids that like to do what the older kids are doing, so I know there would be no problem come race day keeping him moving.

In November, he will be 3. Advice on whether or not this is a good switch? :confused3:

I'd do it just because the mile run is first and it eliminates a ton of waiting around for the waves. My kids had fun doing the dashes solo, but next time I'll put them in the mile together. If your kid can handle it, there is really no downside. Just stick to the rear - 14mm is almost twice as long as most of the kids will finish in.

Just stick to the rear - 14mm is almost twice as long as most of the kids will finish in.

I didn't find that to be true at wdw marathon weekend. There were plenty of kids coming through for the whole time. The age range was vast and skills varied. But it wasn't most kids finishing the mile in 7 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter