• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids running through my yard

bankgirl05

DIS Veteran
What would you do in this situation???

I was making my kids lunch and heard a commotion, I look out to see 3-4 kids (11-15ish) Running at breakneck speed through my back yard. One of them trips over a stick, crashes into one of my metal framed patio chairs (kinda tangling himself up in it and pulled it over on himself) and lays there for a moment while his friends laugh from the next yard over. :rotfl:

I throw open my window and yell "hey! What are you doing?" and one yells back "just cutting through." to which I reply "well, DON'T!!!"

I felt bad that my first response wasn't "are you ok?" But then later was furious for these kids having no repect for others property.

I live in a small neighborhood surrounded by woods, and have honestly never seen any of these boys before.

Could this kids parents try to sue me (or my homeowners ins) if he was really hurt even though he was illegally trespassing???

I also worry that now I will be labeled the "mean lady" on the block and that these kids (who obviously have no regard or respect for someone else's property) will make me the target for vandalization etc.

WWYD?

It's annoying, and I'd be worried about liability too. One of the reasons I put up a fence and gate.

You could put up a sign that says "Beware of Land Mines and Bear Traps" and stake it in the yard. I wonder if they have motion activated sprinklers? But then again if its hot it may draw them in.

ETA when I was a kid there was a house everyone said was haunted. The yard was overgrown and there were wooden stakes in the yard that as adult I know we're probably for tomatoes but back then we said they marked the graves of people who went into the yard. Maybe become the crazy haunted house lady. Put a couple Halloween grave stones out in the yard with a spooky sign

What would you do in this situation???

I was making my kids lunch and heard a commotion, I look out to see 3-4 kids (11-15ish) Running at breakneck speed through my back yard. One of them trips over a stick, crashes into one of my metal framed patio chairs (kinda tangling himself up in it and pulled it over on himself) and lays there for a moment while his friends laugh from the next yard over. :rotfl:

I throw open my window and yell "hey! What are you doing?" and one yells back "just cutting through." to which I reply "well, DON'T!!!"

I felt bad that my first response wasn't "are you ok?" But then later was furious for these kids having no repect for others property.

I live in a small neighborhood surrounded by woods, and have honestly never seen any of these boys before.

Could this kids parents try to sue me (or my homeowners ins) if he was really hurt even though he was illegally trespassing???

I also worry that now I will be labeled the "mean lady" on the block and that these kids (who obviously have no regard or respect for someone else's property) will make me the target for vandalization etc.

WWYD?

You're worrying way too much about how others would perceive you. Your property, your things, your rules, and you have a right to tell punk kids to get out of your backyard.

As for parents suing you should one hurt himself in your backyard even if he was there without your permission: You live in Jersey, so I'm sure it's possible.

You could put up a sign that says "Beware of Land Mines and Bear Traps" and stake it in the yard. I wonder if they have motion activated sprinklers? But then again if its hot it may draw them in.

ETA when I was a kid there was a house everyone said was haunted. The yard was overgrown and there were wooden stakes in the yard that as adult I know we're probably for tomatoes but back then we said they marked the graves of people who went into the yard. Maybe become the crazy haunted house lady. Put a couple Halloween grave stones out in the yard with a spooky sign

:rotfl2:

I would contact my insurance company to find out if they would pay if a trespasser gets hurt on my property, and explain what you saw.

THAT answer would determine if I pursue putting up a fence or not.

My Mom was that mean lady, and it was not fun for my sister and me. I never stopped the kids from crossing my yard, and in 20 years I never had an issue.

Well, first of all, I wouldn't be worried about being sued. I doubt the kids are going to go home and tell their parents that they fell at some stranger's house they don't know and then drag their parents back to your place just so they can sue you.

And I hardly think that you yelling at them -- one time -- to not cut across your yard is going to label you as "the mean lady" or set you up for future harassment.

Plus, do you REALLY think that these kids truly have no respect for anyone else's property because this ONE time -- when they were clearly already in a full run and chasing each other -- cut across your back yard? If they do it over and over and over again, it's disrespect of the property. If they do it once, it's a bunch of kids running through the neighborhood to get from point A to point B. It certainly doesn't sound like they were all standing around planning, "Hey ... let's run across a bunch of back yards today because we don't care about anyone else's property." I just don't think there was that much thought put into it. One kid started running, the rest of them followed. I doubt they set the route first.

But if you want to be sure kids don't cut across your back yard, put up a fence.

:earsboy:

From the other responses I guess it depends on your neighborhood. When my kids were young there were kids of all ages and they all would cut through the back yards. I wouldn't have thought anything of it.

Well, first of all, I wouldn't be worried about being sued. I doubt the kids are going to go home and tell their parents that they fell at some stranger's house they don't know and then drag their parents back to your place just so they can sue you.
I don't think the incidence listed in the OP would equate to a lawsuit. But IMO, it would be good to know if kids are running through the yard, trip, and sprain an ankle or break a bone, or anything requiring medical attention, would the insurance company pay (even if the kids aren't invited onto the property).

With that information in hand, a homeowner can decide if it's prudent to look into putting up a fence. I agree a fence isn't necessary for a one time thing, but if the kids continue to run through the yard, it's good to have information.

Is your yard fenced? Growing up we would cut through yards all the time but usually didn't if it was fenced. Everyone just cut through and I don't recall ever being yelled at by anyone. I really wouldn't care if my yard was not fenced and kids cut through. A lot of the kids who live near me play sports in the street and end up in my front yard from time to time. I really don't care. They have never been destructive or anything like that.

Does anyone else ever picture Rita DelVecchio when you read these types of posts? :rotfl::rotfl:

1995-10-21-6.jpg

Assuming this is a one time thing, I really wouldn't give it a second thought. It's the middle of the summer and kids are running around the neighborhood. Not a big deal.

I really don't spend much time obsessing over whether or not somebody is going to sue me. I know it happens and there are stories about it all the time, but I can't say I personally know of anybody who has been sued because a kid was goofing off in their yard and was hurt. If you worry much about it, personal liability insurance policies are pretty cheap, we have one because we have a swimming pool.

If you don't like the kids in your yard then by all means tell them to stay out, but otherwise I think kids outside playing is kind of a good thing that we should encourage more of these days.

Does anyone else ever picture Rita DelVecchio when you read these types of posts? :rotfl::rotfl:

1995-10-21-6.jpg

Totally! I loved that character. My kids have no idea where it comes from when I take their ball and say, "I'm keeping this. This is mine now!"

I guess its just the way it is in this day and age, but it makes me sad actually. I remember (back in the day!) playing manhunt during the summer and running (and hiding) in my neighbors yards all the time. No one ever said anything. Maybe they didn't like it, they never said.

I hate that this generation has to worry about stuff like that.

I guess its just the way it is in this day and age, but it makes me sad actually. I remember (back in the day!) playing manhunt during the summer and running (and hiding) in my neighbors yards all the time. No one ever said anything. Maybe they didn't like it, they never said.

I hate that this generation has to worry about stuff like that.

It's probably just because it happens so rarely. We're not used to it. Most kids ( mine included) are inside glued to their iPads and video games.

We don't have any problems with kids cutting through our yards. Kids around here played man hunt all the time, at night. WE never had a problem until a new neighbor appeared. He saw a boy in his back yard behind his shed and he came out and threatened to call the cops. Once we explained what the kids were doing, he said ok. no problem, just be careful and don't get too loud.

OF you don't want kids running through your yard you may want to get a fence. I wouldn't worry about being sued. But then again, I am not in your area and someone suggested where you are that you might be worried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter