• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids sleeping in different staterooms than what was booked.

Kevyjoe

Earning My Ears
If I book a Disney Cruise with 2 adults and 1 child in 1 room and 2 adults and 1 child in another room using the restricted fare, could the kids sleep in whatever room they want? Ages 13 and 10.
Additionally, are there any staterooms that cannot accommodate 4 people?

Last edited:
k a Disney Cruise with 2 adults and 1 child in 1 room and 2 adults and 1 child in another room using the restricted fare, could the kids sleep in whatever room they want? Ages 13 and 10.
Mickey doesn't do bed checks. The only thing you might want to do is get blank cards for them to get in and out of the room they are actually using. We'll be swapping rooms around on our next cruise, it isn't a big deal (just that everyone knows where their actual muster station is - and not in the room where they are sleeping (if not the same)).

I did this many moons ago. I have 3 sons. I booked 2 with me and 1 with DH. They all stayed together, I think I oldest was 16 at the time, the other two 10 & 12. They were down the hall from us, not that far. They didn’t care! Lol
I did get extra blank room cards.
They had a ball.
Fast forward in 2020, they are all bunking together in their 20’s and once again having a blast! 🚢👍🏻🌴

Yes, there are staterooms that only sleep 3. When you're looking at rooms online, just put 4 people down during your searches so you'll know which ones sleep 4, and then just book 3 in the room.

using the restricted fare … are there any staterooms that cannot accommodate 4 people?
As PPs mentioned, the kids can do “sleepovers” in either room. However there are rooms that only sleep 3.

The challenge is booking with a restricted fare you get no say in what room you are assigned. If you book a regular fare and select a room, you could book room(s) that definitely sleep 4 and be assured of the extra bed.

The only thing to be aware of is that for lifeboat drills, you must show up with the party you are "in the room with," so everyone in room 1 together and room 2 together, etc. You could even be at separate stations depending on the room, as @PrincessShmoo has said in other posts. We've not had that happen, but we have had separate stateroom hosts for each room (next to each other) before.

DCL does state that they take special care to keep families together in the (extremely unlikely) event of an evacuation, so it might be worth mentioning to Guest Services once you're onboard.

The only thing to be aware of is that for lifeboat drills, you must show up with the party you are "in the room with," so everyone in room 1 together and room 2 together, etc. You could even be at separate stations depending on the room, as @PrincessShmoo has said in other posts. We've not had that happen, but we have had separate stateroom hosts for each room (next to each other) before.

DCL does state that they take special care to keep families together in the (extremely unlikely) event of an evacuation, so it might be worth mentioning to Guest Services once you're onboard.

Also if you're mixing adults and kids among the staterooms for booking - like kids from one family booked in with adults in another - the adults in the room the kid is booked in must complete a form to let adults from the other room take them off the ship. Even if the other adults are their parents.

Mickey doesn't do bed checks. My parents and my family went on a cruise right before COVID. We had adjoining rooms so not really a big deal regardless. My kids went back and forth sleeping in the room of their choosing each night. The room attendant would ask them which bed they wanted made so he could make sure it was ready for them :)

So we are consiering doing this for the cost savings: 1 kid with Grandma. 1 kid with mom and dad. But both kids will likely sleep with mom and dad. We plan to be close but not necessarily adjoining. Do we tell the stateroom cabin on day 1 that we'll need the bunk turned down nightly? Will that annoy the stateroom attendant if they weren't expecting it? Also I guess the gratuity for kid #2 will end up going to Grandma's stateroom attendant which seems a little unfair. For people who have BTDT, do you adjust with guest services?

You can set-up your credit card for the child's stateroom charges (tips, port adventures, etc.) so grandma doesn't have to deal with it. Just know that it could be a different stateroom attendant. Also make sure that your stateroom has the 4th bed, not all do.

The stateroom attendant will set up the room however you request. Turning down the bunk bed will not be a problem. Some travelers with 3 people in a room use 3 beds, so it will not be unexpected (and will not annoy the attendant even it wasn’t expected).

We had adjoining rooms

We plan to be close but not necessarily adjoining

Just as my standard PSA when talking about hotel/cruise rooms.

ADJOINING means next door, across the hall, diagonally, or even in some cases around the corner but NO internal door between the two.

CONNECTING means rooms next door WITH an internal door between the two.

It may seem nit-picky, but in the travel industry, wording matters. Your TA if you use one or the reservation agent taking your reservations *should* clarify which you mean, but... And even then when I worked in the reservations department for a hotel I'd clarify which the person making the reservation meant and note that in my notes. It was not uncommon for guests to return to the front desk complaining that they didn't have adjoining rooms when their rooms were across the hall from each other. They had meant connecting but either were not asked or didn't listen and insisted they "knew what they were asking".

Yep! My son is usually listed on my mom's stateroom but he typically sleeps with us. Just let your stateroom attendant know if you need certain beds made, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter