Kids Traveling to US with Grandparents

prairiesarah

Mouseketeer
Wondering if anyone has experience with their kids traveling to the US with grandparents (or someone other than their parents)? I am wondering about documentation required. I found this online, but it a little contradictory. It says that they should have a letter, then later on says that Border Services doesn't usually ask for one, although Canadian Customs does. So it sounds like going to the US would be less of an issue than entering back into Canada?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...drens traveling with grandparents/suggested/1

I'm thinking it is a good idea to send a letter (not sure on whether it needs to be notarized or not), however my brother in law claims we don't need to. We are all going to Orlando for Xmas, but the 3 grandkids (our son, and bil's 2 daughters) are traveling down with their grandparents, then home with us (ie, ds with us, his cousins with their parents). We all have the same last name, and ds actually has the same address as his grandparents as we all live on the same property (farm).

Thoughts/suggestions?

I travel several times a year to the US with my children, but without their father. The info you have is correct. If the children are not travelling with both parents, then they must have a letter from both parents giving permission for them to travel. Even if one parent is travelling with them, or they are travelling on their own, or they are travelling with grandparents, they must have the letter. We get asked for it about 80% of the time from Canadian immigration and about 30% of the time from US immigration. We get asked for it more often if we are flying than if we are driving. We also got asked for it more often when my youngest was under 5. It doesn't need to be notarized.

Abduction of children into Canada is a real problem, not so much into the US. That's why there is a difference in the frequency of the questioning.

I've taken my nephews to Disney by myself a few times and I always bring a notarized letter, signed by both parents, stating that I have permission to travel with their children. I have been asked for the letter every time while going trough U.S customs.

We go to city hall to get the letter, myself and their parents.

I have also traveled with my DD's without their father. I always have the letter and until last year I've had it notarized...which I believe is required. Last year I just didn't have time to get the letter stamped. IMO, the $30 fee to get it notarized is worth the piece of mind when I have spent a lot of money on flights etc.

To this point, I've only been asked for the letter once but I have friends that are asked every single time. One of my friends travels about every 6-8 weeks with at least one of her kids and she estimates that she is asked at least 80% of the time.

IMO, the $30 fee to get it notarized is worth the piece of mind when I have spent a lot of money on flights etc.

I agree. Considering the cost of travel(flights, gas, accommodations,etc) it's very much worth it to take all precautions when children are not traveling with their parents. I'd hate to get turned away by customs. When I'm traveling with my nephews, I think their permission letter is as important as their passports.

Thanks everyone for your input. I plan on getting our letter notarized and will leave it to my BIL/SIL to make their own decision on that after I give them the information. I would hate for them to get to Calgary (where they will clear customs) and have any issue. Coming home won't be any problem as DS will be traveling with us.

Thanks everyone for your input. I plan on getting our letter notarized and will leave it to my BIL/SIL to make their own decision on that after I give them the information. I would hate for them to get to Calgary (where they will clear customs) and have any issue. Coming home won't be any problem as DS will be traveling with us.
Also the customs in Europe when we took our grandson, suggested that we have a photocopy of the parents' signed passport along with the letters to verify the signature. We carry that now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter