• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Kids who like Edge, and kids who don't like Edge

Thank you. Is the club/lab always egde or is. Oceneeers club?
Clu/Lab has an option for parents to allow self check-out for ages 8-12. But it is not required and many families don’t allow it. That means a parent must pick-up the child for them for them leave the Club or Lab.

Self-check-out can be restricted only at the Club/Lab. So kids age 11-12 without that are not allowed at Edge. Or saying it the other way, if you allow your 11-12 yr old to attend Edge then they will automatically be allowed self-check-out at the Club/Lab and cannot be restricted there.

My kids were almost 11 (on a waiver) and 12 on our last cruise. They loved the Edge- especially my older one. I had read to be sure to send them the first night because groups form. Our last Sea Day they stayed in there from 10AM- midnight, only coming out for dinner. My son played some obscene number of four square games and got a magical moments certificate. He also won tons of Edge swag- a hat, bag, and water bottle. My daughter was happy to craft and hang.This next time, they’ll be 12 and 13. I hope they like it just as much- they’d re very much looking forward to it.

Clu/Lab has an option for parents to allow self check-out for ages 8-12. But it is not required and many families don’t allow it. That means a parent must pick-up the child for them for them leave the Club or Lab.

Self-check-out can be restricted only at the Club/Lab. So kids age 11-12 without that are not allowed at Edge. Or saying it the other way, if you allow your 11-12 yr old to attend Edge then they will automatically be allowed self-check-out at the Club/Lab and cannot be restricted there.
this policy has now changed. Disney will no longer allow 11-12 in the clubs they can only go to the edge

My 13 year old was dying to go to Vibe but was stuck in Edge. With the Oceaneer update, I think they ought to change Edge to 9-12 and make Edge for all teens 13-17.

My 13 year old was dying to go to Vibe but was stuck in Edge. With the Oceaneer update, I think they ought to change Edge to 9-12 and make Edge for all teens 13-17.
At 13 you can sign a waiver to let them attend Vibe. It was a huge mistake for my child that we did this with (parenting lesson learned the hard way, and my fault for being naive. She's immature for her age and was easily led by 16/17 year old guys - basically men she met there) but it is not uncommon.

At 13 you can sign a waiver to let them attend Vibe. It was a huge mistake for my child that we did this with (parenting lesson learned the hard way, and my fault for being naive. She's immature for her age and was easily led by 16/17 year old guys - basically men she met there) but it is not uncommon.
I'm sorry that happened to your daughter!

At the time my 13 year old (14 a week later) would have been fine at Vibe, but wasn't aware of the waiver.

I am also interested in this. My kids will be 12 and 14 on our upcoming 7-night cruise. They loved Oceaneer's when they were younger, but didn't care much for Edge on our recent 3-night on the Wish. They are both total extroverts, but they are just at that age where things like "icebreakers" is too "cringey" for them. I do think they would love to make friends, but they are adamant that they don't want to and just want to hang out with each other. I certainly don't want to force them to do anything they aren't comfortable with, but does anyone have any advice on how to just get them there for the first night? I would love it if they would at least go for that and give it a chance...

but does anyone have any advice on how to just get them there for the first night? I would love it if they would at least go for that and give it a chance...
Tell them you have adult plans and you would really like them to go "just this once -- if you don't enjoy it, I won't ask again all cruise, but I do want you to go the first night." And stick to that.

Tell them you have adult plans and you would really like them to go "just this once -- if you don't enjoy it, I won't ask again all cruise, but I do want you to go the first night." And stick to that.
This!

In the other edge thread a former counselor just said the first night things really get going after 9 or so. So maybe even tell them just go from 9-11. Two hours! You can do anything for two hours!

I was a little stronger with my kids, but we basically made the first night at the teen/tween clubs a requirement for our kids, much like the muster drill. We had heard that the first night was the key to getting kids to like the clubs, so we took it seriously. It took quite a bit to get my daughter in, but eventually she went it, expecting to hate it...and we never saw her again nearly every evening after 10 pm until bedtime. And she ended up making so many friends that night and on the cruise, she ended up thanking us for taking her out of her comfort zone. It's really a life skill, because they'll have to do the same thing at other times in life. And the best part is that it's a low risk thing...because she'll never see these kids again (except possibly on a repeat cruise).

A seven night cruise is too long to not be able to have some adult time (or for the kids to take advantage of the clubs), so really force the issue.

not to be debby downer again, but everything i'm reading just doesn't makes sense to have 11yo in Edge. Ice breakers at 10pm? My 10yo is currently lights out at 9pm. We have a younger kiddo who wakes up early, so i have to be in bed by 10:30 if i'm to get any sleep. the idea of being up with her at 11pm (and realistically going to pick her up from Edge on the first night so she doesn't get lost finding the cabin) and making sure she doesn't wake up everyone while going to bed is not my idea of a good vacation. Why are these late hours forced on such young kids if they are to have a hope of a good time? Again why 11yo belongs in Club/Lab - no one has to stay up till 11pm on the first night to ensure the rest of the cruise is good for their kids. Ice breakers need to be between the two dinner seatings.

My kids are also generally early birds. They have slept in past 7:30 only a handful of times in their lives, generally waking between 5:45-6:30. So at home, lights are usually out at 8:30. When we sailed at 10.75 and a new 12, they stayed until 10 or so the first couple nights and then started shutting it down at midnight. Well, my 10 year old came back around 11:00 one night when she got tired. This was a 5 night on the Dream last year.

It opens after open house at maybe 11AM. Then there tended to be an open house around early dining. So it was also open from 11-5ish and then again like 7-12. The last sea day I only saw my kids at dinner so the daytime stuff held their interest too.

not to be debby downer again, but everything i'm reading just doesn't makes sense to have 11yo in Edge. Ice breakers at 10pm? My 10yo is currently lights out at 9pm. We have a younger kiddo who wakes up early, so i have to be in bed by 10:30 if i'm to get any sleep. the idea of being up with her at 11pm (and realistically going to pick her up from Edge on the first night so she doesn't get lost finding the cabin) and making sure she doesn't wake up everyone while going to bed is not my idea of a good vacation. Why are these late hours forced on such young kids if they are to have a hope of a good time? Again why 11yo belongs in Club/Lab - no one has to stay up till 11pm on the first night to ensure the rest of the cruise is good for their kids. Ice breakers need to be between the two dinner seatings.
While on vacation, kids tend to go to bed later than normal. There are still plenty of kids around when Oceaneers closes at 12, Edge at 1 and Vibe at 2. Of course, it’s up to you as the parent how late everyone goes to bed. Maybe the first night can be an exception so she can attend ice breakers and then more strictly enforced on other nights? No hours are forced on anyone. Kids still have a good time if they don’t go to icebreakers

My younger daughter really flourishes in Edge but yeah, the hours are late. I am always the only one awake worried sick waiting for her to come back around midnight. We give her a "curfew" each night depending on what the programming is, but it's never earlier than midnight - that would NEVER happen at home. Hubs and 2 other kids sleeping like babies while I am fretting. But it's totally normal for them to stay out that late and the kids have a blast.

I'm also disappointed my 11 yr old is devastated that he won't be able to join oceneers he was really looking forward to be there with his young brother. Are there any waivers parents can sign? What's in Edge exactly any star wars or Marvel theming?

I'm also disappointed my 11 yr old is devastated that he won't be able to join oceneers he was really looking forward to be there with his young brother. Are there any waivers parents can sign? What's in Edge exactly any star wars or Marvel theming?
A waiver for the 11 year old to go to Oceaneers? No there are no exceptions for a child to move down to a lower age group.
No there is not Star Wars or marvel theming in Edge

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter