Killarney mid July - jaunting carts?

dandelion

DIS Veteran
I was in Ireland the week of July 11-18. Not on ABD.

I heard on the news that the drivers of the pony carts in Killarney were protesting a new law that forced them to put nappies (diapers) on their horses. On the two days we were around Killarney National Park (July 14 and 16) the drivers were indeed protesting and not offering rides.

I wondered how that was handled by ABD?

For any of the future Ireland ABDers, I'm sure you'll love the trip. We visited many of the same sites covered by your tour. The countryside is beautiful and the people are very friendly. Lots of good food available too!

Hmmm
I did feel that there was a LOT of horse waste -and wondered that there was not some kind of at least partial solution.

We loved our Ireland ABD and may go back sometime -tell me -how did you get around? Car rental?

We loved our Ireland ABD and may go back sometime -tell me -how did you get around? Car rental?

Yes, we rented a car in Dublin and returned it in West Knock; we flew from there over to England to continue our touring.

*I* personally would not have attempted driving, but my husband has been working in England part-time for the past 6 months, so he was comfortable with it. I do give him great credit for handling the twisty turny roads and a small unfamiliar car, all on the "wrong" side of the road. There were many times I and my son in the seat behind me said "whoa!" when he scraped us along the bushes - but better to hit a bush than the oncoming truck.

We did pay extra for the collision damage insurance, thankfully it was not needed. :thumbsup2

We spent 2 nights in Dun Laoghaire (just south of Dublin), 3 nights in Kenmare and 2 in Ballyvaughan to see the Burren area. Enjoyed the B&Bs, the friendliness of the pubs, and lovely views. Like ABD, we toured Rock of Cashel, Killarney National Park and the Cliffs of Moher. Unlike ABD, we spent the last 2 nights in the Burren. It's a really weird and moving landscape out there.

The ABD reports gave me a lot of good ideas about what to bring (we had 2 weeks of cool and rainy weather throughout Ireland and Scotland) and what my kids might enjoy, so I thank all the writers.

If - and it is a very big *if* - you can handle the driving Ireland is a great country to tour. Besides the ABD ideas I used Rick Steves guide extensively, and had my kids (age 10 and 12) watch some of his DVDs.

We spent the next week in England and Scotland, but I especially loved our Ireland time. Hope to get back someday.

We spent 2 nights in Dun Laoghaire (just south of Dublin), 3 nights in Kenmare and 2 in Ballyvaughan to see the Burren area. Enjoyed the B&Bs, the friendliness of the pubs, and lovely views. Like ABD, we toured Rock of Cashel, Killarney National Park and the Cliffs of Moher. Unlike ABD, we spent the last 2 nights in the Burren. It's a really weird and moving landscape out there.

Where (which B&B) did you stay at in Ballyvaughan?

Where (which B&B) did you stay at in Ballyvaughan?

Interesting place called Cappabhaile House
http://www.cappabhaile.com/

We lucked out because someone else had cancelled last minute so we had our choice of the 'family' rooms. We chose the one with a king bed and a view of the burren. Huge soaking tub, plenty of room for us and the kids to spread out. A good breakfast too - they offer a number of items to choose from http://www.cappabhaile.com/breakfast.html Daughter and I each tried the fruit plate or fruit and cheese plate as we did get tired of eggs and toast every morning.

The owner (I assume, he was generally at the desk) is extremely knowledgeable about the history and geology and loaned us very detailed maps of the area which helped with the driving.

My favorite thing in that area was the Burren Perfumery, and I plan to order from them later this week. http://www.burrenperfumery.com/

Ballyvaughan is a teeny tiny town, but a good location for the Burren and not too far from Galway or Shannon for flights. Even going up to Knock for our flight was not a bad drive.

Are you considering a return trip redzinner? I did enjoy your helpful ABD report.

Are you considering a return trip redzinner? I did enjoy your helpful ABD report.
Thanks!
I would love to return to the Burren area but sadly no plans in the works. The B&B you stayed in looks quite comfy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter