Kinds of roasts???

December99

<font color=orange>WDW Antenna Topper Queen</font>
I'm not a very good picker of the different kinds of meats for roasts so I'm wondering what do you buy and what are the leaner and more tender types of meats to use as roasts!

Hi, 'We had a crosscut rib roast/rolled roast tonight that was very lean.
Rib roasts are delicious, but of course the more fat=the more flavor.
Ribeye roasts are expensive and yummy.
Chuck and 7 Blade roasts "pot roasts" tend to have a wide strip of fat that can be removed. They also can be a bit greasy.. but are an economical, decent cut of beef.
Pork roasts can be dry if cooked to long, but if cooked in the crock pot can be moist and flavorful.
Pork Tenderloin, expensive but very tasty....

Does that help?

I use it with the aluminum foil tent......with the lipton onion soup mix.....and cream of mushroom soup on top with one can of wter....if you just want to use it for a roast with no added gravy....still either do the foil or the bag for it......you can cut it with a fork.....this is the leanest roast out there.....yummy.....I need to go and get some groceries this evening........good thinking

We like eye of round best also. It is expensive, but we've been buying it in the cryovac pack. The price per pound is really good that way & I just cut it to the right size & freeze the other ones. I usually get ~3 - but that means hot roast beef sandwich leftovers for a couple days, which DH loves!

Before I got spoiled with the eye roast, I always got either top or bottom round. They tend to have a "slab" of fat on the bottom & are pretty lean throughout the roast itself. They're not as tender as the eye, but are pretty good.

I also used to use a bolar roast when it was cheap, but it is often fattier than those above. More often I'll use the bolar or london broil roasts to cut up for beef cubes, as it's cheaper & less fatty than buying what the store does - but that's another topic.

Oh - I always do my roasts in the crock pot. I got a crock as a wedding gift 26 years ago & have never made a pot roast. I just throw in carrots & potatoes, then sprinkle with Kitchen Bouquet & powdered bouillon as I'm allergic to onions & can't use onion soup mix.

Thanks...I put a roast in the slow cooker this morning and went home for lunch and now all I can smell on my clothes is the roast that was cooking!!!! It was a bottom round and I had never bought them before so I'm anxious to try it tonight and see how it turns out. It smelled good...I threw in potatoes and carrots also. Thanks for the ideas. My choice use to be Chuck Roast but that was when they really inexpensive and now all meat is just about the same price so I figured I'll start buying a little higher cuts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter