King Cake

I just ordered two from Great Harvest Bread. We will eat one and will let the other one dry out for French toast later in the week. I did this last year and it was so good.

Party City has the babies. Exactly what does one do with 144 of these things?

https://www.partycity.com/white-king-cake-babies-811941.htmlhttps://www.partycity.com/brown-king-cake-babies-811916.html
They're not in stock in any stores near me.
I bought a bag of them about 10 years ago to share with out of town friends. With some of the leftovers, a co-worker and I "stuffed" a king cake since people liked cutting around the baby and leaving only an inch of cake just so they didn't "get the baby".

I bought a bag of them about 10 years ago to share with out of town friends. With some of the leftovers, a co-worker and I "stuffed" a king cake since people liked cutting around the baby and leaving only an inch of cake just so they didn't "get the baby".

Serves em' right, LOL. Baby-dodgers.

(It's a bit more understandable up here where bakery versions are rather scarce and not that good, but trying to dodge contributing a King Cake in Louisiana is just flat cheap.)

We ate the king cakes. Today I'm making Texas Sausage and Cheese Kolaches since we used to eat them when we lived in Texas.
DSC03757.JPG

Not bad for a first attempt at these.

Last edited:
I must be the only person that simply doesn't get the hype of a King Cake. I usually love any food coming out of Louisiana--especially New Orleans, just don't get King Cake.

Just tried one from Randazzo's (sp?) thinking that maybe I just haven't had "good" King Cake. Now, it was a LOT better than the one from Wal Mart and a bit better than one from a local bakery here but still didn't like it. Its just dry to me. This one was Blueberry Cream Cheese. The blueberry topping was really good. I am not sure where the cream cheese was. The cake part of was dry.

They have always reminded me of those old timey coffee cakes one could buy in the metal tin with plastic wrap over it. Made with cinnamon and had that white icing on top. Didn't like those either.

And maybe that's the point? Maybe they are supposed to be like a fancy coffee cake? And I just don't like coffee cake.

So, sorry to my neighbors to the west. Love your state, but ya'll can keep the King Cakes.

Although, making one at home sounds interesting.

I must be the only person that simply doesn't get the hype of a King Cake. I usually love any food coming out of Louisiana--especially New Orleans, just don't get King Cake.

Just tried one from Randazzo's (sp?) thinking that maybe I just haven't had "good" King Cake. Now, it was a LOT better than the one from Wal Mart and a bit better than one from a local bakery here but still didn't like it. Its just dry to me. This one was Blueberry Cream Cheese. The blueberry topping was really good. I am not sure where the cream cheese was. The cake part of was dry.

They have always reminded me of those old timey coffee cakes one could buy in the metal tin with plastic wrap over it. Made with cinnamon and had that white icing on top. Didn't like those either.

And maybe that's the point? Maybe they are supposed to be like a fancy coffee cake? And I just don't like coffee cake.

So, sorry to my neighbors to the west. Love your state, but ya'll can keep the King Cakes.

Although, making one at home sounds interesting.

Traditional "plain" king cake is rather like typical American "cinnamon coffee cake", but technically it's French brioche dough pastry. It is normally pretty dry, which is why they put the icing on with a trowel.

In recent years, though, most recipes have moved more in the direction of richer pastry, more like a croissant dough, and lots of filling in the middle, making the whole thing a lot more like a big oval-ring-shaped Danish pastry (yes, like a kringle) than a coffee cake. It is the change that has fueled the popularity; the traditional ones really were nothing to write home about most of the time.

I was already an adult when the style began to change and the popularity started to soar; I'd say it was about 1980. However, all grocery stores tend to cling to the older style because it is much cheaper to make; some bakeries do also, but most now offer both styles.

Last edited:
We haven’t had king cakes at Publix here yet. I was able to get my Paczki today though. Yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter