King size handicapped Mod

Lou-Ann

DIS Veteran
I have been reading a lot where folks are booking for families with handicapped rooms needing more beds than a king and Disney is apparently tired of comping for the extra room so to combat this they are converting many of their handicapped rooms to double beds. MY DH and I are not tiny people and he would have a fit in a double bed either with or without me. I have a Mod. reserved. Do any of you know of any Mod with a king sized bed??? Thanks so much.

Just returned from Disney's Riverside with a king handicap room with a roll in shower and I was also comped the connecting room because there were 4 of us.

If there are only two guests then you would probably be automatically assigned to a room with a king. Coronado Springs is my favorite moderate accessible due to the way their bathrooms are laid out- they have a sliding door and are very large with either a roll in shower or tub with rails. Unfortunately people abuse things ( and I wouldn't doubt some get suggestions on how to do so by reading what we all post on this board to help each other) so it seems logical that Disney would change the bedding. I never could figure out why a king bed was something "necessary" for a disabled person vs. the same type bedding everyone else has??? Perhaps it allowed for more maneuverable space in the rooms. Kathy

dclfun said:
Perhaps it allowed for more maneuverable space in the rooms. Kathy
I think you've got the reason, Kathy.

Thank you all so very much for your input. I would love to know which room/building still had the king with roll in shower as that is exactly what I need. Hubby is 6'3 and a big man and I will have a scooter to fit in the room as well so having only one bed would be ferfect for us. If you can remember the number please let me know as the gal I spoke with said she knew of none....
You all have added so much to the quality of our trips and I thank you for sharing. I found out about the scooters from you folks as well. There is no way I could even think of going without one.

Thanks again,
Lou-Ann

PS...I would also appreciate knowing the location and number of the room in Coronado Springs. Thanks so much. Is it in Casitas or elsewhere?

At Port Orleans Riverside we were in building 80 of the Magnolia Plantation I don't remember the room number it was the first room on the first floor facing the parking lot. The north bus stop was just at the end of the parking lot on the left facing the parking lot from the room.

I would highly doubt that WDW would convert all the kings over to doubles. and I'm sure they will keep them spaced through out the resort still. because we also need the extra room for a wc to move around. :jumping1:

Lu-Ann,
My wife & I stayed at AKL, concierge, top floor I believe, 2 yrs. ago. We had 2 Queen sized beds, roll in shower, room for a scooter. I kept my manual chair on the balcony.
Other than that, plenty of room.
Sam C.

This si very helpful to me to have a few room options to ask for when I speak with the special needs folks. Thanks so much. If anyone else has any they remember please post them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter