Knott's Berry Farm tips?

Timchat2

Mouseketeer
We'll be visiting Knott's Berry Farm for the first time next month. Any tips for touring or hidden attractions we should catch? While I realize a lot of the park has been altered in recent years (and, according to some, not always for the best), is there still a fair amount of the "old" Knott's to be found? The park seems to have a fairly rich history, so we're hoping to be able to see some of that while we're there.

The Old Knott's feeling and such can still be found in the Ghost Town area. Knott's usually does keep their history within the park. Since the time I've worked there, nothing has been scrapped much.

And the Xcelerator roller coaster ride has been fixed. :)

The Old Knott's feeling and such can still be found in the Ghost Town area. Knott's usually does keep their history within the park. Since the time I've worked there, nothing has been scrapped much.

And the Xcelerator roller coaster ride has been fixed. :)

Yeah! so glad to hear it! Love Xcelerator.

Knott's still has many of the old time attractions-Stage Coach, Train, Calico Mine Train, Log Ride, Calico Saloon, graveyard (though it is smaller), Fiesta Village and they also have some good newer rides. Personally I don't like Ghostrider (too rough) or Boomerang but all the other coasters are good. Xcelerator is great.

Don't forget to try the fried chicken-really good. We get ours hot from the kitchen at the Chicken to Go located next door to the Mrs. Knott's Restaurant.

Get there when it opens.

It's good to know that much of the old Knott's can still be experienced. With the new book and all of the various blog postings lately about the park through the years we're really interested in exploring the rich history of the place.

Thanks for the tips!

Yes! The fried-chicken, you gotta try haha.

They also opened up a Pink's Hot Dog there as well, and it tastes very very similar, if not the same, to the one in Hollywood. So if you haven't tried that yet, go ahead and do so!

Have fun on your trip to Knott's!

Personally I don't like Ghostrider (too rough)

Oh my goodness I couldn't agree more. I went on it once with my husband, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Not in a "ha ha this is so cool I think I'm gonna have a heart attack!", way but more an "Oh my goodness, dear husband, please be ready to administer CPR because my heart and chest are in a great deal of pain and I'm not sure if I will black out before the conclusion of this ride" way. It was really bad and I don't think I could do it again. It was a very thrilling coaster though but man, DH and I, who are two physically fit "kids" in our mid-20's really couldn't handle it!

So generally speaking Knott's is pretty manageable in a day? Is there a need for any kind of touring plan? I think we're so used to visiting the Disney parks that it feels strange not to have a "plan of attack" each day. I assume Knott's is more laid-back when it comes to touring?

I don't think you'll need much of a touring plan. What part of June are you going in? Much will depend on if you are going before or after local schools get out for summer. Yes, doable in a day.

Regardless of when you are going, plan an arriving before park opening so you'll be ready to enter as soon as they open. Do the most popular rides first and then when it starts to get busier you can take that time to visit the older parts of Knott's that many overlook. Check out the graveyard and school house. Ride the stagecoach and train. Walk around Ghost Town.

If you want to eat at Mrs. Knott's I would go a little before or after lunch or dinner times so as not to wait to long. Like I said, we do the Chicken To Go but eating in the original restaurant it part of Knott's history.

What I like to do, if spending the day, is have chicken for lunch and then eat at Claim Jumper (across La Palma, at the corner of Beach and La Palma) for dinner. They have some of the best food-and huge servings-easily shareable. ;) You can walk there from Knott's. Oh, here's a picture of one of their amazing desserts. The I Declair. Sometimes we get this in lieu of dinner. Big enough to share with the whole table! :cloud9:
107_7494.jpg

They have great kid's meals too!
107_7493.jpg

Choice of sides, my DD10 picked apples/caramel and mandarin oranges as yer 2 sides. All meals come with an apple.

Another nice choice, nearby, is Fat Burger. Located on Beach, just to the East of Knott's. Good burgers.

I can't be certain that this information would be valid in summer, but from my December visit: People were let into the park 30-35 minutes before the official opening time. You are restricted to an area in which the only line that forms is for Ghostrider. If you want to ride that coaster, I'd wait there. Otherwise, go as far as you can toward whatever you want to hit first. One alternative would be near the Gold Trails Mercantile (Hotel), which is as close as you can get to Pony Express and Bigfoot Rapids. You could go back around to Silver Bullet (or go on it first). Then, continue circling to Sierra Sidewinder, Supreme Scream, Xcelerator, Perilous Plunge, Mine Ride, Log Ride, etc.

We'll be going the third week of June, so hopefully school being out (we're not local but I assume it would be out by then) won't impact things too much. We generally plan on getting to parks as early as possible too.

Thanks for the heads-up about parts of the park opening in phases. We'll be able to adjust how we move around the park in the morning.

We are definitely going to eat at Mrs. Knott's. I'm almost looking forward to that more than the park itself! :)

Personally I wouldn't buy tix on Ebay. You can get a discount by buying on Knott's own website.
Buy Online and Save Big Now

Why wait in line when you can buy online and save? Save time and money! Regular (ages 12-61) tickets are just $31.99, that's a $22 savings and Junior (3-11) and Senior(62+) tickets are only $19.99 online. You can't get this price at the park, so buy yours today. This price is for a limited time only.

What's the best route from the Disneyland Resort area to Knott's? Do you need to get on the freeway or are the side streets adequate to get the park in a timely manner?

You would take I-5 N to CA-91 W to Beach Blvd South.
----------------------------------------------------
Joe Cool's Backyard BBQ
Weekends Only

Save big and eat big with Joe Cool's Backyard BBQ. For only $39.99 for Regular admission and $29.99 for Juniors (3-11) and Seniors (62+), guests can purchase a theme park ticket and a voucher for an all-you-can eat BBQ featuring Mrs. Knott's famous fried chicken, ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs, salads and more! Joe Cool's Backyard BBQ special is available for purchase at any Knott's Berry Farm ticket window.

What's the best route from the Disneyland Resort area to Knott's? Do you need to get on the freeway or are the side streets adequate to get the park in a timely manner?
It's easy to get there without using the freeway - go west on Katella or Ball Road to Beach Blvd, then turn right (north) and travel about 3 miles. You'll travel through the Knott's property and then make a U-turn to approach their front entrance. Here's a Mapquest map.

We like to have breakfast at the Chicken Dinner Restaurant, which would be a cheaper way to experience the atmosphere. Then you can get their chicken from the Chicken To Go shop adjacent to the CDR later in the day.

One of my favorite attractions is the Mystery Lodge, a special effects show featuring a native American storyteller. I understand this show was a hit at the Vancouver World's Fair in 1986.

Thank you for the directions. We wanted to arrive at the park before the gates open, so I was trying to get feel for how much time to allow.

We'd like to have dinner at the Chicken Restaurant. Any suggested strategies? Does going at an early meal time help (like between 4:00-5:00) get ahead of the crowds?

I'm looking forward to Mystery Lodge. It sounds like a unique attraction. While the newer thrill rides are fine in their own way, it's the stuff you can't find anywhere else, like Mystery Lodge and the Calico Mine Ride, that makes Knott's special.

The Chicken Dinner restaurant is special, but not elegant. To be blunt, people go there to eat Mrs. Knott's chicken and perhaps boysenberry pie, not to gawk at the surroundings. Since it doesn't take reservations for smaller parties -and there are no Fastpasses ;) - there will be a formidable line starting to build around 11AM, when the lunch & dinner menu is offered:
2gwfgx1.jpg

The BBQ offered on weekends is outdoors, so can serve many more people promptly, has much the same food, and at a much lower cost. If you haven't been before, I can understand the desire to eat in this famous restaurant. I'm just saying, if you're more interested in the chicken than the history, I'd advise that you eat at the BBQ if you're at KBF on a day that's it's offered.

UPDATE: I just noticed, by looking at photos I posted in another thread, that Mr. Knott's fried chicken is available inside the park - at Sutter's Grill in Ghost Town.

There's one more tip, and it's special. It's seldom discussed on message boards, so I feel like I'm giving away a secret. If you arrive early enough, there is no need to pay for parking, since there is free street parking in the area around KBF.

So the Chicken Restaurant keeps a consistent queue all day? Does it subside at all mid-afternoon (like 3:00-4:00)? If it's too crowded I suppose we could explore those alternates.

Since we have Cedar Point Platinum Passes we should be able to use them for free parking. That's a pretty solid parking tip though!

Thanks again for all the advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter