Kona Cafe Dinner, poor service?

Glass Cougar

Earning My Ears
We are renting DVC at the Poly in May, traveling with our 4 year old. Our flight arrives at 3 pm, so we thought we would start with dinner right at Kona Café that night.
I've been watching some you tube reviews and everyone is complaining of poor/ rushed service.
That makes me nervous, don't want to start a vacation with a poor experience.

Anyone gone recently and had great service?
How about another restaurant? We could always do Capt Cooks in a pinch, but Id rather do table service.

not sure if you want to get tickets for your first day but if so you could monorail down to MK and do dinner at CRT, might be fun for your 4yo.

In the end service can only be as rushed as you allow it to be so if things are moving too fast you can just say please dont bring the meals until we have finished the apps,whatever the case is. alot of people complain online but never open their mouths at the time,weird.

With your 3pm flight arrival, I’d probably be more worried about timing your ADR properly than about possible poor service and YouTube reviews. Especially with the variable of a 4 year old and travel.

Staggeringly ignorant reply from a moderator. Good job. How about a helpful reply instead of a condescending remark?

Staggeringly ignorant reply from a moderator. Good job. How about a helpful reply instead of a condescending remark?

Tone can be hard to read on the Internet, there was no condescension intended or implied at all. I simply meant to reference often posted advice about being careful with arrival day ADRs the possibility of travel delays and such. OP had several posts above mine directly addressing their question, most of which I agree with and match my Kona experiences. I’m sorry if it read otherwise.

To add to my post since it must have read as lacking, sometimes a plan for quick service on arrival day can be a better option since you’re not having to manage arrival time, when people and littles ones are hungry, etc. Kona Cafe also offers To Go ordering - that could also be an option for OP.

I see you just joined and this was your first post, so:welcome:to the DIS.

Last edited:

I’ve had good experiences at Kona, I wouldn’t let a few bad reviews on YouTube deter you. I also think the advice to be careful with ADRs on arrival day is good. Be very conservative with your timing. I personally wouldn’t schedule an ADR before 7pm if you’re set to arrive at MCO at 3pm just to be safe. If you’re concerned about being too hungry to wait that long, maybe pick up a snack in the airport then have a late ADR at Kona that night.

In the end service can only be as rushed as you allow it to be so if things are moving too fast you can just say please dont bring the meals until we have finished the apps,whatever the case is. alot of people complain online but never open their mouths at the time,weird.
We have always had great service at Kona but this is the solution if you ever feel rushed. They can't make you take your food earlier.

You could also mobile order dinner from there and eat it somewhere on property. Then you don’t have to deal too much with service expectations and if your travel schedule changes you are not locked into a time.

We have had absolutely amazing service many many many times!!! Food, wine & service are fantastic. Some of our favorite cast members are there. Watch Pete's many reviews and you'll get a better understanding....Enjoy.

We are renting DVC at the Poly in May, traveling with our 4 year old. Our flight arrives at 3 pm, so we thought we would start with dinner right at Kona Café that night.
I've been watching some you tube reviews and everyone is complaining of poor/ rushed service.

How about another restaurant? We could always do Capt Cooks in a pinch, but Id rather do table service.
We ate there twice in July after reopening, and had good service.

Yes we are going to plan 6:30 or so. If we miss it I know we will be charged, we are willing to take that chance.

If you start running late that day, you can always go on the app and try to modify your reservation. Or simply go to the hostess station when you arrive at the resort and see if they can still seat you.

Kona used to be a family favorite but it seems to have gone down our last few visits. We have had good luck with the grand Floridian Cafe lately in a similar nearby restaurant

Kona used to be a family favorite but it seems to have gone down our last few visits.
Same here! I used to go there usually twice per trip, but in the last few years the menu changed from items I liked to items I don't care for, so I haven't been back lately.

what happens if the flight is delayed which happens often. and depending on when 4 year old had eaten a meal not just snacks could also be a problem. even with a 3 pm landing planned I would not schedule before 630 and agree with what moderator said which makes sense

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter