Korean Ferryboat accident.

rickybobby

Please bring back Tapestry of Nations
Terrible tragedy reported this am. Had over 300 schoolkids on a field trip.
I hope it was just an accident and that N Korea had nothing to do with it.

It sounds horrible, and it sounds like most of the passengers won't be rescued at this point. South Korea has a very special place in my heart, and I hated hearing this news. Was glad to hear the US Navy was helping out, though.

Terrible tragedy reported this am. Had over 300 schoolkids on a field trip.
I hope it was just an accident and that N Korea had nothing to do with it.

Horrible. Tragic.

I admit when I first heard about it, I thought N. Korea too. The CNN article I read said it was sinking with "breathtaking speed" - if it had run into something I wouldn't think it would sink that fast. I hope and pray it wasn't an attack of some kind.

I haven't heard anything that makes it sound like North Korea. And I assume the little dictator would be very quick to take credit if they were able to sink a South Korean boat and claim that many lives. (Heck, part of me is surprised he's not taking credit even assuming they had nothing to do with it.)

ETA: The accident was near the southern tip of South Korea. If North Korea was operating that far south and that close to South Korean land, undetected, then we're in a whole different ball game, and I think we would already know that by now.

Location of ferry

_74270902_korea_ferry_624.jpg

How horrible. I haven't turned on the TV today and had no idea.

Prayers for all those children and their families. :sad1:

I just read that the Captain of the ship said he was deeply ashamed but did not go into details http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/so...orea-ferry-captain-i-am-deeply-ashamed-n82766

Hope they can find those that are missing. It's sad this happened.

I wouldn't' necessarily read too much into that. Shame and 'saving face' are very deeply engrained in Korean culture, so that's a pretty normal statement given the situation. Akin to a US Captain saying he's deeply sorry for the accident or regrets the situation or something.
It is VERY curious and weird that only one lifeboat was deployed. So maybe the captain does have something about which to be ashamed. But the statement itself isn't too alarming.

I can understand why he feels ashamed, he told the kids to stay where they were and they didnt have a chance to get out.

I can understand why he feels ashamed, he told the kids to stay where they were and they didnt have a chance to get out.

Not saying he shouldn't feel ashamed, just trying to put it in context. I'm sure we'll learn a lot more details over the next several days.

Not a chance in Hell I'm going to have much faith in the captain that just punched a hole in the ship. I'd have been up there with one leg dangling over the rail. Poor kids :(

One teen texted his dad that he couldn't get out to the deck because the ship was so tilted he couldn't climb up there, so I don't think this is all because they were told to stay where they were.

I can't imagine the heartbreak.

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter