Kroger Disney Gift Card WARNING

Four Swampers

Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas
I purchased a "variable load" Disney Gift Card from Kroger on 8/28/2013 to take advantage of the 4x Kroger Fuel Points promotion. I have done this before, and was looking forward to 1000 points for the $250 card. I did not get the points.

When I returned to Kroger today and talked to customer service, they informed me that a new policy is in effect as of this promotion. Starting with this promotion, "variable load" gift cards are not eligible for the 4X points. They may not be eligible for any points; I did not clarify that.

Anyhow, a "variable load" card is one where you can choose how much to put on the card, for example, anywhere from $15 to $500 for this particular Disney card.

Do not purchase a variable load card for reward points. Instead, choose a card with a set amount, like $50.

If in doubt, ask your Kroger customer service department BEFORE you buy the card, because they cannot be returned nor exchanged nor refunded.

I purchased a "variable load" Disney Gift Card from Kroger on 8/28/2013 to take advantage of the 4x Kroger Fuel Points promotion. I have done this before, and was looking forward to 1000 points for the $250 card. I did not get the points.

When I returned to Kroger today and talked to customer service, they informed me that a new policy is in effect as of this promotion. Starting with this promotion, "variable load" gift cards are not eligible for the 4X points. They may not be eligible for any points; I did not clarify that.

Anyhow, a "variable load" card is one where you can choose how much to put on the card, for example, anywhere from $15 to $500 for this particular Disney card.

Do not purchase a variable load card for reward points. Instead, choose a card with a set amount, like $50.

If in doubt, ask your Kroger customer service department BEFORE you buy the card, because they cannot be returned nor exchanged nor refunded.

I've often wondered if the large responses to those threads announcing really great offers has an effect on the offers being pulled.

Maybe this is a case?

Sorry you weren't able to cash in.

If you have not 'used' the card, talk to the manager and return it. The purchase a 'fixed' card.

I purchased a variable load card at the beginning of this promotion for $500 and got my 2000 points. I just used it for my second tank of gas today. I'm in Indiana.

This may have been a policy for some time as we purchased a variable load Disney card earlier this year in central Ohio, during a time that I was pretty sure was a 4X points promo and only got single points. I just assumed I had the dates of the promo wrong, but now it sounds like maybe I didn't.

What really irks me is that, from the sounds of the other posts on this thread, this appears to be not a chain wide policy and may depend on the store or even the clerk that rings up the transaction.

If you are going to have a policy, the first rule is that it needs to be uniformly applied. :confused3

Hi, we purchased these in Irving, TX and had no problem getting our points on the variable value cards.

This may have been a policy for some time as we purchased a variable load Disney card earlier this year in central Ohio, during a time that I was pretty sure was a 4X points promo and only got single points. I just assumed I had the dates of the promo wrong, but now it sounds like maybe I didn't.

What really irks me is that, from the sounds of the other posts on this thread, this appears to be not a chain wide policy and may depend on the store or even the clerk that rings up the transaction.

If you are going to have a policy, the first rule is that it needs to be uniformly applied. :confused3

I agree. Of note, I have successfully received 4X points on variable load cards in the past. This current promotion is the first time it has failed for me.

I really hope this isn't the case. One of the main reasons that I buy gift cards from Kroger is because they have the loadable cards. I don't like buying tons of $50 cards AND I try to buy the loadable cards during the 4X fuel points promotion in order to save the most money. It worked for me earlier in the year but I haven't tried during this promotion yet.

I had the same experience. I did ask before I purchased it though. She told me the variable loading amounts DO NOT qualify for 4x rewards. This was 9/4/2013. So I bought 4- $50 cards instead. It's a pain to carry around a bunch of $50 cards so I won't be doing it with more than 4-5 cards.

I bought a variable load card yesterday, had $200 put on it and got 800 points.
Wonder if this policy varies by area? I live in the Memphis area. What makes it a better deal for me is that I use the Disney Visa card that gives 2x points on gas, groceries and so on, so in addition to the gas points from Kroger I get 2x disney card rewards points for the purchase of the gift card. I buy lots of gift cards at Kroger because of this - yesterday I also bought a $500 lowes gift card since I will be buying a dishwasher soon, that's $10 in disney reward dollars vs $5 if I'd used my disney visa at lowes.

I know in GA that we have not been able to receive the 4x fuel promotions on the variable load cards. My coworker ran into this last Christmastime. I've always purchased the fixed rate cards from then on.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I purchased a variable load card at the beginning of this promotion for $500 and got my 2000 points. I just used it for my second tank of gas today. I'm in Indiana.

Me too, except mine was $250, im also in indiana.

I bought $500 on a variable one in Kansas and got the 2000 points just fine. It looks like it depends on your location.

It could be in certain areas... i know in Alabama they can not even use their points to get a discount on gas. I dont know what the deal is just was in Alabama at a kroger and saw it posted!

I tried it today in KS to make sure it worked on 1 $500 card before I bought a bunch this weekend and I got the 4x's fuel points on the transaction.

I got them in GA this past week and received my 4X points. It seems to be a store to store thing.

Same here. I purchased a variable load Target card and received 4x (we live in VA). To be safe, I guess the thing to do is to purchase a small amount on a variable load card - like $15 - and see what happens. If you get the 4x, then go back and purchase a larger amount.

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter