• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

LA in December: Is Disneyland a Possibility?

HollywoodTowerHotel

You unlock this door with the key of imagination..
Hello!

I am looking for some friendly advice and input on an upcoming trip I have planned for December. My itinerary is as follows:
Thursday, December 7 - early arrival into LAX, travel to Marina Del Rey hotel
Friday, December 8 and Saturday, December 9 - "free" time, sights TBD
Sunday, December 10 - Eagles/Rams game in LA
Monday, December 11 - mid-morning departure from LAX

First, I am wondering, do I have the time to visit Disneyland and not "miss out" on other sights? Assuming the answer is an enthusiastic, "YES!" would it be better to visit on Friday or Saturday during that time of year?

Next, what is the easiest/cheapest way to get from the Marina Del Rey area to Disneyland? All suggestions welcomed!

Finally, having not been to Disneyland since it was only Disneyland (no California Adventure yet), what are must dos?

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!

Hi.
I definitely would go. The World of Color Holiday show will be on in California Adventure. I would better Friday would be better. I have gone in December. It is great. The holiday decorations all over.
In Disneyland, It's a small world holiday! Haunted Mansion Holiday, Jingle(Jungle Cruise). If you like parade, the Christmas Fantasy Parade down Main Street.

Friday over Saurday for sure. Rent a car for the weekend for the flexibility. You need a car in LA.

I would also go, but I don't honestly know if Friday or Saturday would be better. That is the last Friday that SoCal and SoCal Select AP holders can get into the parks before their Holiday Season blockout goes into effect (they do get Sunday, so the pressure might be more on Sunday than Friday, but I'm betting both will be busy - especially in the evening). SoCal and SoCal Select AP holders are blocked on Saturday, but Deluxe, Signature, Signature Plus, and Premier AP holders are not. I think that if you get there at rope drop, you'll probably be able to get a fair amount done in the morning, but the crowds will pick up as the day progresses and the parks are likely to be pretty busy in the evenings (especially for the nighttime entertainment).

Are you thinking of getting a park hopper ticket or are you only going to do one park (it sounds like you're only going to go for one day)? Personally, if you only have one day in December, I would go to Disneyland. While you've never been to DCA and it has some pretty impressive offerings (e.g., Carsland), DL is my favorite park. The holiday entertainment (parade, fireworks), overlays (Jungle Cruise, IaSW, Haunted Mansion), decor, and other offerings are worth seeing.

Word of advice when attending the game...use public tansportation and get there early! Parking is extremely expensive and limited. (Parking at USC is starting at $95) I asked a recent Lyft driver if he ever worked the Rams game and he said "never again!" because it took him 30 mins to get off the freeway off ramp.

Sergio has some good advice....and another consideration....how exhausted do you what to arrive at the football game?

So friday would be the better choice, and if you do hardcore touring, then rope drop awaits you on Friday, rope drop happens because of security in the Esplanade and folks around you are possible criminals so they have to be photographed, where as with your one day ticket, you just get to watch folks ahead of you photographed.

If you are a Haunted Mansion purist, it is referred to as NBC and the one overlay in Disneyland that is controversial on Disneyland threads. I am not a purist, so I like the NBC overlay and would be the one event that would make the visit worthwhile. coming in second making it worthwhile is Carsland, which means you will have to purchase a parkhopper, single rider and be there at dusk for the most magical moment in DCA.

jungle cruise has mixed reviews during christmas, though waiting for the ride in the riverfront station is fun,lots of tiny christmas touches. I like the station decor much better than decor out in the foliage

and if you liked the comfy, breathe of history, I am home, feel of Veterans Stadium, then Disneyland is going to give you that wrap around comfort at Christmas, it envelopes you, while DCA is probably like LFF

I'm wondering if there is any particular reason why you need to stay in Marina del Rey since it's not close to Disneyland and not particularly close to the football game, either.

The main purpose of the trip is the Eagles/Rams game. I am going on a group trip to the game, so my package includes flights in/out of LAX, airport transfers to/from hotel in Marina del Rey, and transportation to/from the game. A trip to Disneyland would be an added bonus and something to do with my free time in the area.

The main purpose of the trip is the Eagles/Rams game. I am going on a group trip to the game, so my package includes flights in/out of LAX, airport transfers to/from hotel in Marina del Rey, and transportation to/from the game. A trip to Disneyland would be an added bonus and something to do with my free time in the area.
Looking at traffic RIGHT NOW (130pm on a Wednesday) it'll take about an hour to get to DL from Marina Del Rey
That WILL NOT be the case on a Friday morning when you are going with traffic towards DTLA area (if you decide to drive at that time). So if you get a rental and decide to drive to DL, then expect to leave around 530-6.

I do not recommend going Saturday (maybe a half day) as you may get really tired from exploring DL/DCA and that might affect your attitude for Sunday's game.

Really weigh the pros/cons about seeing DL or DCA. There's a lot to see and do around Santa Monica and even DTLA.

Is everyone transferring to the MDR hotel together or is it based on individual arrivals? My top 2 choices would be rent a car at LAX on Thursday, go to DLR, return the car, then use the transfer to get to MDR hotel. Or, rent a car at LAX, so park days Thursday and Friday, staying 1 night in Anaheim, then keep the car to get around LA Saturday.

I don't know from a crowd perspective which would be best, but I agree with the idea of Friday for DL as it will be tiring - would not want to do the game the next day since that is the point of the trip.

In regards to transportation, I would suggest an Uber to DL & back vs renting a car for one / two days, especially since your transfers are already paid for with the package. I'm not sure of the price difference between renting (+ parking fees) vs Uber, but the ease of the Uber would be my preference. And since it is a group trip, you may find others to ride / share in Uber cost with you for anywhere you do decide to go with both Friday & Saturday excursions.

I definitely vote for Saturday. IMO Friday's are busier because all AP's are valid, and that makes a HUGE difference. Also traffic to DL will be way better on Saturday morning vs. Friday morning. I would probably just take an Uber/Lyft.. expensive, but parking is $20 and takes away from park time (and the time you have to go through to get the rental).

What are the other things you want to see and do while you are in Cali? You definitely have time for a day trip to DL (maybe even two) because you really have most of the day on Thursday.

Is everyone transferring to the MDR hotel together or is it based on individual arrivals? My top 2 choices would be rent a car at LAX on Thursday, go to DLR, return the car, then use the transfer to get to MDR hotel. Or, rent a car at LAX, so park days Thursday and Friday, staying 1 night in Anaheim, then keep the car to get around LA Saturday.

Everyone travels together. Anyone on the same flight will be delivered to the same hotel on the same mode of transportation - usually a charter bus.

I don't know from a crowd perspective which would be best, but I agree with the idea of Friday for DL as it will be tiring - would not want to do the game the next day since that is the point of the trip.

In regards to transportation, I would suggest an Uber to DL & back vs renting a car for one / two days, especially since your transfers are already paid for with the package. I'm not sure of the price difference between renting (+ parking fees) vs Uber, but the ease of the Uber would be my preference. And since it is a group trip, you may find others to ride / share in Uber cost with you for anywhere you do decide to go with both Friday & Saturday excursions.

Uber seems pretty expensive, but good idea with sharing!

What are the other things you want to see and do while you are in Cali? You definitely have time for a day trip to DL (maybe even two) because you really have most of the day on Thursday.

Honestly, I don't quite know. I have been to the area before, so I didn't have anything definite planned yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter