La Jolla to SD Zoo...what time to leave?

Lucky'sMom

DIS Veteran
It will be a Monday morning in mid-July, if I want to get to the zoo before 9am, what time should I leave? I know traffic will probably be a nightmare.

I always recommend Waze, but I think leaving by 7:30 should get you there with plenty of time.

I would suggest the 52 east to the 163 south, getting off at University and taking University to Park. You should be going the opposite way of most of the the traffic. If you left by 8 AM, you should be there by 8:40 even in bad traffic. Being at the zoo early is a great idea - they don't have a "rope drop" like routine but the animals are more active early morning and late at night.

Thank you for your replies...I was losing hope on an answer, you have been very helpful! :)

I agree about taking the 52 east to 163 south. My only difference would be to switch from 163 towards 5 south. The 163 ends and if you are in the right lane (163) the off ramp switch to the 5 south takes you to an exit for park ave. it's a matter of how many twists and turns you want to take. The 163 really only gets traffic when you get to the 8 and then it can be bumper to bumper . If you decide to take university make sure to be far right lane because the freeway narrows down to 2 lanes and people will cut you off.

This should help you visualize the freeways they're talking about to get to the zoo

upload_2016-4-12_11-59-11.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter