• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

LA siteseeing must dos?

ehsmum

DIS Veteran
We're in LA for a week but most of our time will be taken up by theme parks. We're planning 1 day at Universal, 1 day at Legoland, 1 day at Seaworld and 3days at Disneyland. That only leaves us one day to do the Hollywood/LA siteseeing thing. We'll also have a bit of time on our last day as well (driving down from San Francisco the day before for an 11.30pm flight out of LAX).

What are your must dos in LA?

What I would like to do/see:

- tour of stars homes
- Kodak Theatre
- Hollywood sign
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Santa Monica Pier
- The Grove

Any tips on other places to see or where we should eat?

We're in LA for a week but most of our time will be taken up by theme parks. We're planning 1 day at Universal, 1 day at Legoland, 1 day at Seaworld and 3days at Disneyland. That only leaves us one day to do the Hollywood/LA siteseeing thing. We'll also have a bit of time on our last day as well (driving down from San Francisco the day before for an 11.30pm flight out of LAX).

What are your must dos in LA?

What I would like to do/see:

- tour of stars homes
- Kodak Theatre
- Hollywood sign
- Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Santa Monica Pier
- The Grove

Any tips on other places to see or where we should eat?
My must dos are none of the things on your list. Although you should do the Hollywood Sign and Walk of Fame once.
the tours of the stars homes is more like a tour of their front fences (and is actually often wrong given the starts move so frequently.

Must dos
- Getty Museums (villa and the new one)
- Walt Disney Concert Hall (and the whole strip of various halls infact)

To Eat - get a Dolewhip float in Adventureland at Disneyland.

Sprinkles cupcakes in Hollywood!!

I just googled and they look yummy! Alas, my son is diabetic so we generally have pass on sweet stuff like that. We might be able to do one (small one!) for a treat though :).

My must dos are none of the things on your list. Although you should do the Hollywood Sign and Walk of Fame once.
the tours of the stars homes is more like a tour of their front fences (and is actually often wrong given the starts move so frequently.

Must dos
- Getty Museums (villa and the new one)
- Walt Disney Concert Hall (and the whole strip of various halls infact)

To Eat - get a Dolewhip float in Adventureland at Disneyland.

I've done the stars homes tours a few times before and even though you only see the front gate, I still think it's fun. This is more for my kids though, we'll be hunting out the homes of Miley Cyrus et al this time. I'll look into the Museum and Concert Hall, thanks!

If you're going out towards Santa Monica, may I suggest taking in the sunset at Venice beach? My wife and I did this in 2007 and it was both fantastic and romantic.... :)

761396145_FyMUf-L.jpg

Must do list looks good.

I like eating at the Cheesecake Factory. Mexican food in SoCal is also great...we tend to eat this near my Aunt's place in San Marcos or in San Diego.

Your kids may also enjoy Rainforest Cafe (or TRex, which I haven't tried but will do so this trip).

Feej - gorgeous photo!

PrincessInOz - I'm planning on booking Rainforest Cafe :thumbsup2. Actually it's 60 days today until we get to Disneyland so I should call tonight to book. Is there a Cheesecake Factory in Anaheim? What about In n Out Burger? We want to do Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney. I'm still tossing up whether to do Goofy's Kitchen. I don't really want to waste time in the morning with a breakfast but it looks like so much fun and I know my kids (the littlest one anyway) will love it :confused3. I think we're going to pass on Medieval Times and do the Tournament of Kings in Vegas instead. I just don't know that I want to waste a Disney night to go to Medieval Times although it does sound like fun :confused3

I think we'll skip the Getty Museum as we'll be doing all the museums in NYC and Washington DC and I want to keep our one day in LA for frivoulous/cheesy Hollywood stuff! :laughing:

Feej - gorgeous photo!

PrincessInOz - I'm planning on booking Rainforest Cafe :thumbsup2. Actually it's 60 days today until we get to Disneyland so I should call tonight to book. Is there a Cheesecake Factory in Anaheim? What about In n Out Burger? We want to do Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney. I'm still tossing up whether to do Goofy's Kitchen. I don't really want to waste time in the morning with a breakfast but it looks like so much fun and I know my kids (the littlest one anyway) will love it :confused3. I think we're going to pass on Medieval Times and do the Tournament of Kings in Vegas instead. I just don't know that I want to waste a Disney night to go to Medieval Times although it does sound like fun :confused3

I think we'll skip the Getty Museum as we'll be doing all the museums in NYC and Washington DC and I want to keep our one day in LA for frivoulous/cheesy Hollywood stuff! :laughing:

There's a Cheesecake Factory in Garden Walk in Anaheim. It's about 10 minutes walk from DTD. There's also a Bubba Gumps there as well; and a PF Changs.

I don't eat at In n Out Burger...much prefer to find a diner for this (and from memory Bubba Gumps also do burgers).
I signed up to the ESPN Zone (online) for the first time in 2008 and they sent me either $10 or $20 worth of tokens for the games machines. Might be worth checking this out and seeing if it is still available.

Character dining is always fun. I haven't done one in Anaheim but have done these in WDW. Depending on what characters you see, it may save you time in the park queueing for a photo with them e.g., Mickey's House can take a while to get to see him if busy.

If you're looking at DTD, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is always good for us; as is La Brea Bakery and Naples restaurant (italian).

Oh - and eating in NYC? If you're staying around the Times Square area, 9th avenue around 55th or 54th street - there are a few nice restaurants there. I think this is the bottom end of Hell's Kitchen area and the food is great there.
(There's also a Bubba Gump in Times Square).

I've booked some character meals for WDW so I'm not really fussed about doing them at DL but Goofy's Kitchen looks like fun. I'll have to think about it some more.

I'll look into the ESPN Zone website, thanks for the tip :). One of my sons is a sports fanatic and that's the only place in the US that he has requested to go! I know there's one in NYC too and we'll probably end up going to both, but we'll have to do the Disney one as every time we look at the maps it's the first place he points out. I think the Socceroos first World Cup match is while we are in NYC, so ESPN Zone there will be a good place to watch it.

We are staying at Times Square (Radio City Apartments) and am looking forward to discovering the restaurants in NYC! Good to hear there are a few options for Bubba Gumps as I definitely want to try it since someone was raving about it on here (Ms Shuttergirl I think)!

OMG Bubba Gump's :worship:

We loooooved Bubba Gumps and went to 3 different ones (Gardenwalk, Hollywood and Santa Monica) in 14 days.

Mmmmmmmmm, I am feeling a little hungry now :cheer2:

xxx

OMG Bubba Gump's :worship:

We loooooved Bubba Gumps and went to 3 different ones (Gardenwalk, Hollywood and Santa Monica) in 14 days.

Mmmmmmmmm, I am feeling a little hungry now :cheer2:

xxx

Stop!! Forest! Stop!! I'm thinking about the 'Po Burger right now! :laughing:

OMG, the Mahi Mahi fish at Bubba gumps, my mouth is watering :lmao:.

If you are going to New York you MUST MUST MUST go to Ellen's Startdust Diner. There is a website i think. Only about a block off Times Square. Get the burgers, the other food not so hot but it's the entertainment that is amazing. Get there early though. We got there at 5.30 and within about 10 minutes there was a line out the door. The wait staff take it in turns singing songs, and they are fabulous singers. I can't tell you how COOOOOOOLLLLL it is. Please do yourself a favour and go, it's like being in Arnolds in Happy Days. One of my fave things about NY.

We are staying at Times Square (Radio City Apartments) and am looking forward to discovering the restaurants in NYC! Good to hear there are a few options for Bubba Gumps as I definitely want to try it since someone was raving about it on here (Ms Shuttergirl I think)!

I am really looking forward to hearing your report about Radio City Apartments. And photos too please. If i can convince DH to go to US again in Dec 2011 I am thinking of staying here. We loved where we stayed last time (Crowne Plaza Times Square) but the price of RCA is amazing so I would definitely consider it based on reviews I've read, just waiting on Ehsmum's final opinion.

I second Ellens Stardust Diner, whilst the foods definately not the best we had, it was good (desserts were great), the singing definately was good. Best of all for Miss 9 she got another pressed penny, with Ellens Stardust Diner on it. It's very central to times square, we watched the police group and disperse on NYE. The crowds were already huge when we finished eating at approx. 2pm.

I am really looking forward to hearing your report about Radio City Apartments. And photos too please. If i can convince DH to go to US again in Dec 2011 I am thinking of staying here. We loved where we stayed last time (Crowne Plaza Times Square) but the price of RCA is amazing so I would definitely consider it based on reviews I've read, just waiting on Ehsmum's final opinion.

Me three!! I was interested to stay at RCA but it was all booked out. I ended up at the Doubletree, which was great!...but I am still wondering about RCA. THANKS!

OMG, the Mahi Mahi fish at Bubba gumps, my mouth is watering :lmao:.

If you are going to New York you MUST MUST MUST go to Ellen's Startdust Diner. There is a website i think. Only about a block off Times Square. Get the burgers, the other food not so hot but it's the entertainment that is amazing. Get there early though. We got there at 5.30 and within about 10 minutes there was a line out the door. The wait staff take it in turns singing songs, and they are fabulous singers. I can't tell you how COOOOOOOLLLLL it is. Please do yourself a favour and go, it's like being in Arnolds in Happy Days. One of my fave things about NY.

Thanks for the tip! I just googled it, it looks like fun! 1650 Broadway.

I'll do my best to get a review up asap once we're there :).

I wouldn't go to any of those places! ummm .... wow
Maybe I'm a sad sack I can't think of anything more timewasting than stars on the pavement, and driving around looking at front gates:confused3
We LOVED the Getty villa at Malibu. You have to get tickets for a time slot so it is not crowed and it is one of the more spectacular collections of roman, greek and eritrean antiquities - all in a fake, recreated roman villa! Really spectacular:lovestruc
We also enjoyed the Le Brea Tar Pits

Maybe I'm a sad sack I can't think of anything more timewasting than stars on the pavement, and driving around looking at front gates:confused3
We LOVED the Getty villa at Malibu. You have to get tickets for a time slot so it is not crowed and it is one of the more spectacular collections of roman, greek and eritrean antiquities - all in a fake, recreated roman villa! Really spectacular:lovestruc

Well obviously we're very different people :).

Actually we went to the La Brea Tar Pits too. My girls absolutely looooooooved it. In fact it is still one of the highlights that they talk about now.

And the fact that it was just around the corner from The Grove and American Girl was ace :thumbsup2

xxx

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter