Lack of crowds and Disney's response

I did think January would be low crowds :(

Our dates are 12 January - 18 January. NAMM convention starts on the 16th, and MLK Day is the 20th. Is the 18th going to be unbearable? What about our earlier days?
So long as we're making predictions, my guess is that it will be very busy this fall as AP holders are allowed back in, the Halloween festivities ramp up, and then Christmastime. But put me down for predicting that next year, attendance patterns will mostly go back to historic norms, as the AP holders who wanted to see Star Wars will have done so and everyone will go back to "normal". We're visiting the first week of March and my current biggest concern is Disney does another big spring promo sale to try and boost numbers, but ces la vie. We were watching ride-through videos today and we're going to have a great time no matter what.

You know, my perception is that a lot of locals are over it. They are over the high crowds and price increases and simply did not renew their passes due to a fear of even worse crowds this summer, which obviously has backfired on Disney.

Disney has effectively priced people out at "full price." They can really only bring crowds with discount offers and special events nowadays. It seems abundantly clear that the vast majority of AP holders are Deluxe and lower, and without those guests, and at full price, people simply aren't coming.

I think you hit the nail on the head. We are “local” (San Diego) and let our APs expire at the end of last summer specifically because of the opening of SWGE the following year. We didn’t plan to get new passes until 2020 or 2021 when it looked like the crowds had died down. Had Disney not announce the Flex Pass a week before a one-day birthday trip we had planned before the end of the SWGE reservation period, we would have gone for the one day and probably wouldn’t have returned this year. We planned our trip specifically to miss what we anticipated to be soul crushing crowds during the first year SWGE is open.

Had Disney introduced the Flex Pass in the early spring, I think there would have been more locals in the park now. I think locals that usually have passes that are blocked out for summer are waiting to jump on this new pass until after summer because they think SWGE+summer=crowds. I know I did. I wasn’t even going to bother making a reservation during the summer. But now my daughter and I will be there 7/5-7/6. Yes, it will be crowded because of the holiday. But I can handle typical holiday crowds.

Got to the parks for opening this morning and was here earlier this week and today “feels” considerably more crowded both in terms of general crowd levels walking around and some wait times, almost like a typical Friday whereas Wednesday was one of the lightest (best) days I’ve experienced in a long time.

I am completely non-bothered by current crowd levels, tbh. I know it will get worse at times in the future, that's guaranteed, but I'm more happy than anything that Disney has attempted to keep the experience bearable.

I find this whole thing fascinating! We were in the crowd of: we aren't wasting money to go because only one attraction is open...but then saw the lower crowds when the reservation system was still in place, and planned a totally last minute splurge trip staying the the DLH (we haven't stayed on property in YEARS) just to get a glimpse of SWGE. We thought FOR SURE, the crowds would be absolutely insane when SWGE opened to everyone......wow, were we wrong! Now I wish we waited to go this week!

I do wonder how Disney feels about this. Yes, it isn't crowded, but lots of people are dropping over $200 to make a lightsaber, $100 for a droid (although I wonder when sales for those will drop off ), plus we spent over $50 at the Cantina for 4 drinks (only 2 being alcoholic drinks!). I wonder if the merchandise purchases are making up for the lack of guests......

All I know is I sure wish I lived close enough to just pop in for a day!

I wonder if the merchandise purchases are making up for the lack of guests......
There’s no way. I keep seeing this suggested, but they would have projected most of that revenue. Even if some stuff is selling better than expected, other stuff isn’t - there are still RACKS AND RACKS of opening-day T-shirts with May 31 on them, for instance.

I was chatting with a friend last night who’s connected to some of the ROTR engineers (and whose dad works for Disney in some capacity in Burbank), and he described the ride as “still hemorrhaging money on top of the billion they already spent and aren’t getting back so far, at all.” He did say that they’re “hopeful” that it could open for D23, but “it could also be next year.” He used the word “desperate” several times in reference to the current (lack of) crowd situation.

I think it's the combination of all the things mention so far - prices, only one ride, the hype of crowds. All of the hotels raised their rates because they were expecting huge demand and now the rates are plummeting. We have to go in August because my son returns to school nearby at that time, so we were just prepared to "be prepared" for massive crowds. Now, I'm not worried at all.

The price increase AND blackout dates for the Deluxe AP were just offensive. In a way, I'm kind of smirking that this is happening to the greedy corporate-types :rolleyes1 I still think Disneyland is a better value than Universal Studios Hollywood, but it's starting to feel less "magical" when you spend $900 on an annual pass (with Maxpass) and you still can't visit on the weekends...???:crazy2::mad:o_O

The price increase AND blackout dates for the Deluxe AP were just offensive. In a way, I'm kind of smirking that this is happening to the greedy corporate-types :rolleyes1 I still think Disneyland is a better value than Universal Studios Hollywood, but it's starting to feel less "magical" when you spend $900 on an annual pass (with Maxpass) and you still can't visit on the weekends...???:crazy2::mad:o_O

I feel like Disney is trying to phase out the Deluxe pass like they did the Southern California pass, maybe in favor of the Flex pass? Or was the Flex pass a response to so many annual passholders opting not to renew?

I mean, who would pay $800 ($900 with MP) for a pass that completely blocks you out of Disneyland for the entire summer and also takes away Saturdays in October? Sheesh!

For me, when that happened I was either going to downgrade to SoCal Select and go much less frequently or upgrade my son to Signature, which I did do. But honestly I can’t afford that more than one year so after our pass expires I’m not sure what we will do. Might have to take a break.

Even if some stuff is selling better than expected, other stuff isn’t - there are still RACKS AND RACKS of opening-day T-shirts with May 31 on them, for instance.
Maybe some of this is because their shoppers chose poorly. The shirts we saw were not attractive. We searched high and low for a descent shirt (either Ti-shirt or Polo) that met a few criteria:
  • Be obviously related to SW:GE (not the broader "Star Wars" theme)
  • Have the word Disneyland on it (vs being used generically at both locations)
  • Have the date (at least the year!)
  • Be available in Men's XL
  • Be reasonably attractive
Granted, the last bullet is subjective ... but we found only one that had the first three on 6/18 ... but not in Men's XL. I finally snagged an XL version this past Wed by asking the staff at Elias & Co to search their backroom inventory. Ah, success!!! (And in the strangest place, no??)

One would think they'd have had tons of stuff with DISNEYLAND + SW:GE???

I noticed that a lot of the merchandise just says "Landing 2019", which I think means it'll show up at both DLR and WDW. In some ways, it makes sense to have items that can be sold at both parks...it means the costs can be shared and there is a larger consumer base. There were only a few items that either specifically said "Disneyland" on it or had the May 31, 2019 opening date printed.

I'm of two minds about the merchandise and how quickly out of stock items will come back into stock. I'm hopefully they'll get things back in stock throughout the summer, but I can also see where the new inventory is going to be sent over to WDW ahead of their opening in late-August.

I noticed that a lot of the merchandise just says "Landing 2019", which I think means it'll show up at both DLR and WDW. In some ways, it makes sense to have items that can be sold at both parks...it means the costs can be shared and there is a larger consumer base. There were only a few items that either specifically said "Disneyland" on it or had the May 31, 2019 opening date printed.

I'm of two minds about the merchandise and how quickly out of stock items will come back into stock. I'm hopefully they'll get things back in stock throughout the summer, but I can also see where the new inventory is going to be sent over to WDW ahead of their opening in late-August.
Yeah ... we just wanted cool stuff that we could wear from Disneyland when we visit WDW in Sept. You know .. from one outpost to the other. Sure glad I snagged that one polo (with Disneyland embroidered on the sleeve) for my DH on Wed.

I mean, who would pay $800 ($900 with MP) for a pass that completely blocks you out of Disneyland for the entire summer and also takes away Saturdays in October? Sheesh!
For me, when that happened I was either going to downgrade to SoCal Select and go much less frequently or upgrade my son to Signature, which I did do. But honestly I can’t afford that more than one year so after our pass expires I’m not sure what we will do. Might have to take a break.
I've been a passholder for too many years to know that 100 visits a year is too much, and to be honest, after just two visits per month it becomes very old after awhile. You have every turn and every scene in every ride memorized. And now with about zero night time entertainment, it doesn't make sense to go as often. How many times do you need to go per year? At $400 the Select pass is a great deal for Friday date nights, even with the newer blockouts. Flex is 50% more cost, but do I really need to go that many more times per year?
By the way, almost ALL the previous night time entertainment appears to be at Knotts this year. We went a few weeks ago, lots of fun. Thinking of getting a season pass there, it's barely $100 and I read you can get parking and free food for every visit for just $200 or so extra. So I think $400 or less for two people for the park and free parking and free food.
I wish Disney sold an AP that was good for one weekday visit per month, for less cost than the Select. That'd be awesome.

Maybe some of this is because their shoppers chose poorly. The shirts we saw were not attractive. We searched high and low for a descent shirt (either Ti-shirt or Polo) that met a few criteria:
  • Be obviously related to SW:GE (not the broader "Star Wars" theme)
  • Have the word Disneyland on it (vs being used generically at both locations)
  • Have the date (at least the year!)
  • Be available in Men's XL
  • Be reasonably attractive
Granted, the last bullet is subjective ... but we found only one that had the first three on 6/18 ... but not in Men's XL. I finally snagged an XL version this past Wed by asking the staff at Elias & Co to search their backroom inventory. Ah, success!!! (And in the strangest place, no??)

I agree about the merch. I bought a shirt that's OK at the Launch Bay back in February because I wanted a GE shirt and it's totally generic. It just says GE Landing 2019 with the Falcon on it, so I'm sure it was sold at WDW as well. Not to mention, the cut of the shirt is not my ideal style, if I'm being honest.

Disney, I'm available for merchandise consulting, if you'd like to give me a job. :)

My landing tee that’s not dated 5/31 says Disneyland on the back of it. So they will be resort specific.

I've been a passholder for too many years to know that 100 visits a year is too much, and to be honest, after just two visits per month it becomes very old after awhile. You have every turn and every scene in every ride memorized. And now with about zero night time entertainment, it doesn't make sense to go as often. How many times do you need to go per year? At $400 the Select pass is a great deal for Friday date nights, even with the newer blockouts. Flex is 50% more cost, but do I really need to go that many more times per year?
By the way, almost ALL the previous night time entertainment appears to be at Knotts this year. We went a few weeks ago, lots of fun. Thinking of getting a season pass there, it's barely $100 and I read you can get parking and free food for every visit for just $200 or so extra. So I think $400 or less for two people for the park and free parking and free food.
I wish Disney sold an AP that was good for one weekday visit per month, for less cost than the Select. That'd be awesome.
The SoCal Select AP is now blocked out on all Fridays unfortunately.

We go at least twice a month, sometimes weekly. Sometimes I go with one kid, sometimes with both. I like the price of the flex pass but I don’t like having to schedule or worry about not being able to go. I have a Sig pass for parking and my son used to have Deluxe... wish they hadn't blocked so much out for Deluxe.

There’s no way. I keep seeing this suggested, but they would have projected most of that revenue. Even if some stuff is selling better than expected, other stuff isn’t - there are still RACKS AND RACKS of opening-day T-shirts with May 31 on them, for instance.

I was chatting with a friend last night who’s connected to some of the ROTR engineers (and whose dad works for Disney in some capacity in Burbank), and he described the ride as “still hemorrhaging money on top of the billion they already spent and aren’t getting back so far, at all.” He did say that they’re “hopeful” that it could open for D23, but “it could also be next year.” He used the word “desperate” several times in reference to the current (lack of) crowd situation.
O. M. G.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter