• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ladies of the Dis--please help me choose a dress for a wedding

Which dress?

• Dress #1

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Dress #2

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • Dress #3

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Some other option that I will post in the comments.

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
I like #3 -- no worries about too much cleavage, ease of movement without worries about being immodest, and halter necklines can be very flattering. I like the idea of a shrug or bolero, but think a pashmina would be an elegant way to cover the upper arms -- pick a nice color to compliment your coloring.
:thumbsup2 I'm in agreement - #3 is just a little bit "different" and more stylish than either of the others. The others are fine though if the goal is to be appropriate and not attract too much attention, which is often what I'm going for. :goodvibes I don't like pashminas though. They always strike me as if the lady is wrapped in a blanket and for @MrsCobraBubbles specific issues she would have to be constantly fussing with it to keep it in the right place at all times. A little shrug or cardi would be better.

I have had persistent patches of eczema on my arms, especially my upper arms, and on my back and my stomach for my whole life, that's why I don't expose those parts of my body much.

Aww that sucks. Eczema is the worst.

Im in the middle of a pretty flare at the moment..

Mostly clear now but get it on my face and neck when run down or have reaction.

I hope you find something that helps you feel better but remember it always looks worse to you than anyone else.. its difficult i know x

Just be careful with the material of the dress soft cotton or silky material will not irritate skin.

Not fond of any of them really for a semi-formal wedding. For a winery, I think you need something a bit more formal. Also, do #1 and #4 come in different colors? In many areas and age groups, it is still considered gauche to wear black to a wedding. You are not going to a funeral.

I just came back from a formal destination wedding in South Florida. I have many of the same problems as you do. I ordered probably 40 dresses from Nordstrom Rack, tried them on and then returned. We have a rack close by so just dropped the ones I didn't want off after work. You have 45 days to return.

You can get some amazing deals on super good quality stuff. I would search the website for woman's dresses and then sort by "best value." Lots of good quality dresses in your price range. (This one is just an example of what you can find and not a recommendation) Originally $80, now $8.99

Have you considered a blouson style? There is room in the top for the bust, a bit of sleeve for the arms and length for the legs. Originally $168, now $29.97.

Attachments

• 1560096179796.png
    1560096179796.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 1

:thumbsup2 I'm in agreement - #3 is just a little bit "different" and more stylish than either of the others. The others are fine though if the goal is to be appropriate and not attract too much attention, which is often what I'm going for. :goodvibes I don't like pashminas though. They always strike me as if the lady is wrapped in a blanket and for @MrsCobraBubbles specific issues she would have to be constantly fussing with it to keep it in the right place at all times. A little shrug or cardi would be better.
If the OP has or finds a fun brooch, she can pin the pashmina (the inexpensive ones tend to have very thin fabric) so that it won't slip off, then she won't have to worry about it. I've used vintage jewelry, hat pins, and fun things from thrift shops to pin scarves and wraps. (A bit of double sided tape can work wonders, too!) Whatever works to give the OP comfort, freedom of movement, and peace of mind!

I would really have to try them on. I always have good luck at Macy's, if you have one.

Out of the ones posted in OP, I would say #2 because of what your concerns are. I also sort of like #1 in @Hrhpd 's post above.

I voted number two only because I am not a big fan of a maxi with a shrug. BUT if I saw it on, I might change my mind. It just sounds like a lot of fabric especially for a summer wedding.

Last edited:
Personally I rarely wear dresses any more, to a wedding or anywhere, . I have nice black pants, silky and wide leg, that pair with anything. Any color heels, a great little sparkly purse and a dressy top. A combo of a swingy cami under a pretty jacket is suitable for any event and covers up a multitude of sins. Big earrings and a nice bracelet,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter