• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

LAFC launches petition to recognize Juneteenth as national holiday

I think its a great idea. I believe texas was the first state to recognize it as a holiday, wasn't it? its about time the rest of the country catches up to texas.

OK, I just read about it, although it has appeared on my IPad’s calendar for years. Thanks for the thread!

I think its a great idea. I believe texas was the first state to recognize it as a holiday, wasn't it? its about time the rest of the country catches up to texas.
It is celebrated in Texas, because it happened in Texas. It is Texas history. My relatives celebrated it as far back as the early 1900s....maybe earlier, but those people would have been long dead before I cold talk to them about it. My family lived near a predominantly Black area, and were invited every year to a big celebration, which they attended.

Actually it's a Texas holiday because it happened in Texas on that particular day. It was the date Texas finally got the news the war was over and the slaves in Texas actually freed. Other states don't celebrate it because it happened in those states earlier. Texas was last to get the news. The state I grew up in never had slaves so we celebrated Emancipation day. But if people want to celebrate the day the last slaves were freed and therefore all slaves were actually free that is fine with me.

Last edited:
I work for Target. It was just announced that Juneteenth will be a time and a half holiday this Friday.

I think Juneteenth may actually become a national holiday since almost all states have signed on. Hopefully this petition actually makes it to Congress. No sign if Congress will pass anything nowadays though. 📄📃

Another paid vacation day? That would be cool.

I wonder if GA will continue to celebrate confederate Memorial Day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter