• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Laid Off - Need Hugs

You have my sympathies. My husband lost his job of 25+ years at the start of the pandemic. It was shocking and very stressful.

He took those 8 hours each day and used it for job hunting. I immediately tightened up our budget.

I‘m sorry you’re going through this. I hope at the end you’ll find an even better job. I‘ve heard this is usually the case.

I got lucky at my work, they insisted on layoffs for the holidays this year, but forgot I had a contract and now instead of working. I'm still on payroll until the end of January but not in the office and could collect unemployment if I wanted too. I was hoping this job would last a few more years so I could retire from it but I didn't really see that happening either way.

Sorry to hear of this @CynBeth. :hug:'s From reading the replies here, I can see you have received some very excellent advice and suggestions. This place can oftentimes be a wealth of knowledge and helping people.

I was laid off back many years ago when I was 32 years old. A month or so later I started my life-long career of 44 years, retiring 3 years ago. All went well. So many times here I have seen similar posts like yours and have seen subsequent postings from the various folks letting others here know of the results in their job hunts. Seems like they have always been positive. As so often said, a door closes, a better door opens.

From what I have seen and heard, there is a significant shortage of people to fill jobs in the medical industry. I would think that would be true in your area of expertise also. And it does sound like you have a wealth of expertise to offer another employer. And you will find it. Please do let us know the good results in the coming weeks/months (probably just weeks). We'll be waiting for you. :hug:'s

Thanks so much everyone! I forget which poster said it but in response I am definitely the kind of person who plans to work hard like I usually do until my last day. Some of my co-workers have said they will do as little as possible and refuse to train those taking our jobs.

Yeah - this is becoming more and more common - very sad to hear it OP.
I think covid moved this along faster than it would have happened otherwise - if people can work from home then people in places with low costs can do the job remotely as well.

I have pretty much the same thing - been expecting it for several years but didn't want to leave during Covid - and now its happened.
The big thing saving us was customers did not want their data in places where it might get exposed - valid concern or not - perception is important when it comes to medical records, payroll, hr etc...

In the end they can pay someone 1\5th what I make and pay almost no benefits and they are happy with it - it becomes hard to not do that - especially when the competition is doing that.
The customers may not like it - hard to say - but if it saves them money they may be ok with it.

My advice having been in management and going through this myself:
Start looking ASAP - it can be easier to find something when you have something.
Don't say why you are looking when you interview - say you are looking for a new challenge or whatever.. have a positive spin on it. After you are laid off you have less choice on how to explain why you are looking.
I know its commonly known - but don't knock the current employer - I know its hard not to.
It may make sense to take the first round of layoffs - if you wait too long then there may be nothing left for you - or a lot less.
Also with the last few rounds they are less concerned with keeping people - they may hope some people will go on their own accord without severance
Start figuring out what unemployment will pay you and start planning - some states are really bad - others are OK.
Look into the health care exchange ASAP - some states are pretty good - others not so much - so understand what you can get. You do not want a gap in coverage - as I am sure you are aware.
Using a recruiter may help - but many companies won't hire from them as they are expensive.

This wont help you - but for those 55 and over make note of the rule of 55 for your 401k - not the best option - but if its your only option then its helpful - if your 401k allows it. Worst case you always have that in your back pocket.

I think covid moved this along faster than it would have happened otherwise - if people can work from home then people in places with low costs can do the job remotely as well.

I have pretty much the same thing - been expecting it for several years but didn't want to leave during Covid - and now its happened.
The big thing saving us was customers did not want their data in places where it might get exposed - valid concern or not - perception is important when it comes to medical records, payroll, hr etc...

In the end they can pay someone 1\5th what I make and pay almost no benefits and they are happy with it - it becomes hard to not do that - especially when the competition is doing that.
The customers may not like it - hard to say - but if it saves them money they may be ok with it.

Start looking ASAP - it can be easier to find something when you have something.
Don't say why you are looking when you interview - say you are looking for a new challenge or whatever.. have a positive spin on it. After you are laid off you have less choice on how to explain why you are looking.
I know its commonly known - but don't knock the current employer - I know its hard not to.
It may make sense to take the first round of layoffs - if you wait too long then there may be nothing left for you - or a lot less.
Also with the last few rounds they are less concerned with keeping people - they may hope some people will go on their own accord without severance
Start figuring out what unemployment will pay you and start planning - some states are really bad - others are OK.
Look into the health care exchange ASAP - some states are pretty good - others not so much - so understand what you can get. You do not want a gap in coverage - as I am sure you are aware.
Using a recruiter may help - but many companies won't hire from them as they are expensive.

This wont help you - but for those 55 and over make note of the rule of 55 for your 401k - not the best option - but if its your only option then its helpful - if your 401k allows it. Worst case you always have that in your back pocket.

I didn't even think about it that way, but it makes absolute sense.

This is terrible. Unfortunately though it’s happening more and more. American jobs going overseas to people who will work cheaper. And many people as customers are fed up and tired of dealing with these foreign people who are more often than not difficult to understand and stick to a script they’re given and can’t think out of the box. It’s a shame. Hope you find something even better than you had.

Been there, hang in there. It was devastating for me, but in the end my unemployment lasted 4 days.
With record low unemployment, you shouldn't be unemployed long. Employers are begging people to come work for them.
Any option of working for the company they are outsourcing the job to?

It's a constant fear in my mind of late. We just had a round of layoffs that hit a bit too close to home. Sending hugs and wishing you luck on finding something new.

Thanks so much everyone! I forget which poster said it but in response I am definitely the kind of person who plans to work hard like I usually do until my last day. Some of my co-workers have said they will do as little as possible and refuse to train those taking our jobs.

you have the right attitude about this-continue to do your work to the best of your ability and look at the aspect of training the new hires as an opportunity to add a new set of job skills to your resume. a friend was in a similar situation and her attitude was noticed by her employer-although her former position WAS outsourced she ended up being asked to remain in a contracted position to provide training and act as a resource for new hires (the historical knowledge base you have can't be taught to someone and is seen as a valuable assett).

just as a suggestion-you might consider looking at civil service jobs. the job skills you have-esp handling confidential documents is highly transferrable to many jobs in the public sector. when i sat on hiring panels for a variety of classifications these kinds of skills were highly desired.

Been there, hang in there. It was devastating for me, but in the end my unemployment lasted 4 days.
With record low unemployment, you shouldn't be unemployed long. Employers are begging people to come work for them.
Any option of working for the company they are outsourcing the job to?
No outsourcing is usually people from India or the Phillipines they did not specify all that was said is their vendor partners will be handling everything.

One big concern is I did not record start and end dates for the few jobs I had prior to this one and they will see a huge gap from when I graduated college to this so am worried employers will be concerned and not want to hire me.

you have the right attitude about this-continue to do your work to the best of your ability and look at the aspect of training the new hires as an opportunity to add a new set of job skills to your resume. a friend was in a similar situation and her attitude was noticed by her employer-although her former position WAS outsourced she ended up being asked to remain in a contracted position to provide training and act as a resource for new hires (the historical knowledge base you have can't be taught to someone and is seen as a valuable assett).

just as a suggestion-you might consider looking at civil service jobs. the job skills you have-esp handling confidential documents is highly transferrable to many jobs in the public sector. when i sat on hiring panels for a variety of classifications these kinds of skills were highly desired.
What do you mean by civil service jobs? I am pretty much open to anything although my preference is to be remote if possible. I did not think I would like it when the pandemic started and they gave us notice on x day they were giving us laptops and would start working from and but grew to love it and was glad they decided when the big danger was over we did so well that it was permanent for most departments.

No outsourcing is usually people from India or the Phillipines they did not specify all that was said is their vendor partners will be handling everything.

One big concern is I did not record start and end dates for the few jobs I had prior to this one and they will see a huge gap from when I graduated college to this so am worried employers will be concerned and not want to hire me.
Employers would likely be concerned about multiple recent large gaps (intermittent workers) and not a gap preceding from 10-20 years ago. Employers (like mine) have even made concerted efforts to hire people returning (after one large gap) to the workforce recently as well - in so far as qualifications are a match to the job.

Luckily I did not have health insurance through work we have been with the health exchange since my husband got sick and was laid off for taking too much time after he had been a stellar employee for so many years. At that time I looked at the insurance my employer offered and at the plans on there and thought slightly more expensive the BlueCross plan we selected was better. The price can go higher or lower depending on your salary. Thanks for the tips I did not realize I should not say I am being laid off.

Luckily I did not have health insurance through work we have been with the health exchange since my husband got sick and was laid off for taking too much time after he had been a stellar employee for so many years. At that time I looked at the insurance my employer offered and at the plans on there and thought slightly more expensive the BlueCross plan we selected was better. The price can go higher or lower depending on your salary. Thanks for the tips I did not realize I should not say I am being laid off.
Yeah even though its common these days - better to say you are looking.

If someone is being laid off (or already laid off) they see that as an opportunity to low ball you.

After you are laid off then that is a different story - you have to explain the gap no matter how common it is - but still spin it in as positives a way as you can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter