• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lake Michigan/Wisconsin Trip Ideas Needed

So many options in WI!

Obviously Milwaukee is your biggest “city” type experience in the state. You’ve got several sports teams located there depending on the year. The amazing lake front, the famous art museum, Harley Davidson, and so much food, beer, and custard.

West of there you have Madison which is the state capital, a gorgeous city in its own right surround by two lakes. Also even further west is the Wisconsin Dells, a big tourist destination with tons of hotels and water parks.

North you have Green Bay with things like Bay Beach and Lambeau field, and then Door County. Many different things depending on time of year too. Food is key here and there are always interesting food offerings no matter the time you visit.

As you cross the IL border into Wisconsin, stop at Petrifying Springs in Kenosha. Small hike.

After your hike, travel to Georgie Porgie treefort restaurant in either Mount Pleasant or Oak Creek, a suburb of Milwaukee. Small nostalgic restaurants with full sized tree replicas inside, reminiscent of a treefort. https://www.georgieporgies.com/AboutUs
If stopping in Oak Creek, just off I-94, head to Drexel Town Square. Get ice cream at The Chocolate Factory or a Margarita on the outdoor patio at BelAir Cantina or, if Saturday morning, enjoy the farmer’s market.

Stay overnight in Milwaukee’s Third Ward at the Kimpton Journeyman. Enjoy drinks at their rooftop bar, visit small boutiques and museums, or the Milwaukee Public Market. Great airbnbs in the Third Ward, as well.

In Green Bay, enjoy Titletown complex, restaurants and recreation.

Between Green Bay and Iron Mountain, stop at Dave’s Falls (small hike) near Amberg. Stop by a roadside sign to “crack a geode.”

As you cross the IL border into Wisconsin, stop at Petrifying Springs in Kenosha. Small hike.

After your hike, travel to Georgie Porgie treefort restaurant in either Mount Pleasant or Oak Creek, a suburb of Milwaukee. Small nostalgic restaurants with full sized tree replicas inside, reminiscent of a treefort. https://www.georgieporgies.com/AboutUs
If stopping in Oak Creek, just off I-94, head to Drexel Town Square. Get ice cream at The Chocolate Factory or a Margarita on the outdoor patio at BelAir Cantina or, if Saturday morning, enjoy the farmer’s market.

Stay overnight in Milwaukee’s Third Ward at the Kimpton Journeyman. Enjoy drinks at their rooftop bar, visit small boutiques and museums, or the Milwaukee Public Market. Great airbnbs in the Third Ward, as well.

In Green Bay, enjoy Titletown complex, restaurants and recreation.

Between Green Bay and Iron Mountain, stop at Dave’s Falls (small hike) near Amberg. Stop by a roadside sign to “crack a geode.”
I used to live in Oak Creek...Georgie Porgie's is cool!

So, I don't know if you have thought about venturing into Door County, but it is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous. (it is the "thumb" of Wisconsin.) There is a small town about 35 miles east of Green Bay on the Lakeshore (hwy 42 takes you there) called Algoma. Small, but the furthest point out into the lake on the Wisconsin side. (it is the air conditioned city). Small, quaint.... I graduated from this town. It is about 15 miles south of Sturgeon Bay, which is the biggest city in Door County. Door County has lots of state parks.
Also, the amusement park in Green Bay is called Bay Beach. Tour Lambeau field. Visit Doc's Harley Davidson in Bonduel on Hwy 29 (not just a Harley Dealer, has a restaurant, museum, zoo etc. )
Glidden Lodge is a fantastic restaurant/supper club in Door County.
I currently live 35 miles West of Green Bay so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks! I’m definitely adding some time in Door County. I’ll check out Glidden Lodge too.
Two questions, if we were to stay in the Green Bay Area overnight, would you suggest that area or the Door County area?
Do you have any other restaurant recommendations in the area? We enjoy trying out any unique local food.

Airventure runs July 26-Aug. 1. It is an amazing thing to see. Busiest airport in the world for that week and no RADAR. https://www.eaa.org/airventure

I'm partial to Cave Point in Door County. I really like Wood Orchard Market for anything you can think of made with cherries, https://woodorchardmarket.com/ You have to look at Al Johnson's in Sister Bay, they have live grass on the roof and goats to keep it short. There is a submarine just off the lake in Manitowoc that is part of the museum.

I agree with a cheese factory but would recommend Widmers Cheese in Theresa. https://www.widmerscheese.com/
Union Star is a great company and factory, in fact my wife went to high school with the owner, but Fremont is quite a ways from the lake.

Johnsonville Sausage Co just opened a new factory store in Sheboygan Falls. https://www.johnsonville.com/news/johnsonville-marketplace-is-stocked-with-sausage-swag--more/

In Green Bay, Bay Beach, the amusement park mentioned upthread is a must. Also if you have any interest in football and football history, Lambeau Field. I'm a Vikings fan and still have enjoyed the stadium, I've climbed every step of it.

A note about the Luddington-Manitowoc Ferry. It is the only US Highway I am aware of that uses a ferry. It is US 10.
Looks like we would be near Oshkosh July 24-25 so we’d miss out on that.
We would be traveling by Theresa so I’ll keep the cheese factory in mind.

If you go to a supper club.....and if you enjoy adult beverages....

Order an Old Fashioned cocktail. The way we make them in Wisconsin is unique compared to anywhere else I've travelled.

A Brandy Old Fashioned is the most "Wisconsin" version.
You order either a Brandy Old Fashioned sweet or sour.

If you don't like brandy, you can order a
Whisky Old Fashioned sweet or sour.

Cheers!
I definitely plan on a supper club! We aren’t big drinkers but will definitely try an Old Fashioned. We love trying local specialties.

Bay Beach Park isn't as large as Knoebels, but since you like Knoebels it should be up your alley! Some of the same charm, and excellent prices! We had a great time at Knoebels this past summer with so many unique rides and especially the Fascination Parlor.

This summer we also went to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Many folks had recommended Pictured Rocks, but the UP was getting bad Covid the week we went so we passed on it. But if the numbers are good I've heard good things about the location in general.

Glad Bay Beach Park is like Knoebels. And I’m glad you enjoyed your time there this summer. I could play Facination all day. When I was growing up my sister would take me roller skating there. It’s a shame they couldn’t keep that going. We only live a few miles away (most of my family worked summers there) and sometimes it’s easy to forget what a gem it really is.
We also did a quick pit stop at Sleeping Bear Dunes last summer. We’re going to try to stop again this year because I know my DD would love it.

Thanks! I’m definitely adding some time in Door County. I’ll check out Glidden Lodge too.
Two questions, if we were to stay in the Green Bay Area overnight, would you suggest that area or the Door County area?
Do you have any other restaurant recommendations in the area? We enjoy trying out any unique local food.
Door County would give you more unique choices. Bed and Breakfasts, resorts, hotels etc. There is a FANTASTIC, bar and grill in Sturgeon Bay that has awesome outdoor seating! Kitty O'Reilly's Pub in downtown Sturgeon Bay. There are neat little shops in Sturgeon Bay and Door County. In Sister Bay there is Al Johnson's restaurant. It is a Swedish fair with goats eating on the grass roof. Door County has a winery and trolley tour. Wineries start as far south as Kewaunee WI and go up the thumb. Von Stiehl in Algoma is a good one. Door Peninsula Winery is another one.

The amusement park sounds like a great pit stop. We live near Knoebels Grove amusement park (tickets to ride, cheap food lol) and enjoy just walking around there.
DH would love the presidential library.
My daughter would love a dune ride so I may need to look into those. I know we saw them when we traveled through Michigan last year
We went to Knoebel's Amusement Park in Pennsylvania a few years ago while traveling back to the Midwest from the East Coast. WHAT AN ADORABLE PLACE!!! Especially loved riding the Merry Go Round with the brass rings, even as an adult! Such a fun place! Hope to go back there again someday!

Great thread on Wisconsin! Our recently married son and his wife live in La Crosse and we've only been to the state twice. Can't wait to check out some of these places!

I know very little about it, but I've heard the Wisconsin Dells are fun too!

We went to Knoebel's Amusement Park in Pennsylvania a few years ago while traveling back to the Midwest from the East Coast. WHAT AN ADORABLE PLACE!!! Especially loved riding the Merry Go Round with the brass rings, even as an adult! Such a fun place! Hope to go back there again someday!

Great thread on Wisconsin! Our recently married son and his wife live in La Crosse and we've only been to the state twice. Can't wait to check out some of these places!

I know very little about it, but I've heard the Wisconsin Dells are fun too!
While I can appreciate the enthusiasm, the areas being discussed here are probably 200 miles from LaCrosse. In that area the one thing you have to see if you haven't already is the National Eagle Center in Wabasha, MN. And maybe stop in at the restaurant from Grumpy Old Men.

The Abbey Resort in Lake Geneva, is a beautiful resort in fun lake town.

Milwaukee is also worth a visit. Lakeside brewery is one of our fave spots and during the summer there’s usually festivals every weekend. Pre-COVID of course.

The Abbey is a nice resort but it is actually in Fontana which is on Geneva Lake. There isn’t a whole lot to do in Fontana besides the resort and the beach. A hotel in Lake Geneva would have more entertainment- The Cove is walking distance downtown, Grand Geneva is a nice resort but you would have to drive into town (close). The Abbey is about a 15 min or so drive to downtown Lake Geneva.

Some restaurants to check out in Walworth County/ Lake Geneva area might be Crandalls, Cafe Calamari, Next Door Pub, Chop House, Daddy Maxwells, and Tuscan.

Wilderness Lodge at the WI dells is a fun waterpark resort. Similar to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge theming.

The Abbey is a nice resort but it is actually in Fontana which is on Geneva Lake. There isn’t a whole lot to do in Fontana besides the resort and the beach. A hotel in Lake Geneva would have more entertainment- The Cove is walking distance downtown, Grand Geneva is a nice resort but you would have to drive into town (close). The Abbey is about a 15 min or so drive to downtown Lake Geneva.
My mom was married at the resort last fall and I designed her wedding invitations with the address so yes I’m aware it’s in Fontana but if you go to their website they bill it as the “Lake Geneva Experience” so I was just trying to keep it simple. People know Lake Geneva, they don’t know Fontana. 15 minutes into downtown Lake Geneva isn’t some crazy distance.

In Green Bay area some suggestions as others have stated is Bay Beach Amusement park. Free parking, cheap tickets, fun day. Right across the street is the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary. All Free. You can feed the geese/ducks (minimal fee for corn) they also have walking/hiking trails and a path with some local zoo animals (otters, wolves, deer, etc). Slightly farther north is the NEW Zoo. Very nice small zoo for small admission fee. They have a nice variety of animals and most days you can feed the giraffe's.

DD goes to Notre Dame and I have been wanting to add a few days when picking her up or dropping her off to see some things in that general area. She is in her 3rd year and we still haven't been able to do it. Sleeping Bear dunes is one of the areas I was looking at so happy to see all these other ideas. Maybe we will get to do it before she graduates. In South Bend we have done the Studebaker museum and the Chocolate Factory Tour and enjoyed both.

Some restaurants to check out in Walworth County/ Lake Geneva area might be Crandalls, Cafe Calamari, Next Door Pub, Chop House, Daddy Maxwells, and Tuscan.

Wilderness Lodge at the WI dells is a fun waterpark resort. Similar to Disney’s Wilderness Lodge theming.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. I’ll check them out.
We actually stayed at Wilderness lodge years ago when we took a road trip to the Mall of America. We had a great time there.

If you love cheese, stop at the MARS CHEESE CASTLE in Kenosha County ( first county entering WI on westbound I-94.

The Cheese Castle is great with samples of many cheeses. Although my must have is cheese curds (and they’re much cheaper at Woodmans grocery store). But for an overall tasting experience the Castle is great.

But also try kringle. It’s a specialty pastry in Racine. I believe the Castle has some in their bakery section but I don’t recall which brand/bakery they carry. I really like OH Bakery which can be bought at the truck stop at exit 333. Or if you venture into Racine Bentsen’s bakery has wonderful kringle.

Curds and Kringle... a few of what I like to call “the culinary delights of Wisconsin“!

The Cheese Castle is great with samples of many cheeses. Although my must have is cheese curds (and they’re much cheaper at Woodmans grocery store). But for an overall tasting experience the Castle is great.

But also try kringle. It’s a specialty pastry in Racine. I believe the Castle has some in their bakery section but I don’t recall which brand/bakery they carry. I really like OH Bakery which can be bought at the truck stop at exit 333. Or if you venture into Racine Bentsen’s bakery has wonderful kringle.

Curds and Kringle... a few of what I like to call “the culinary delights of Wisconsin“!

The last time I was in MARS ( Dec, 2020) there were not cheese samples out. No doubt, Covid related.
But I'd still recommend it to someone passing by. Easy Off the Interstate and Easy On.

If familiar with the UP, one thing to consider is the Soo Locks. It is interesting to see a freighter enter the locks and rise or drop. The 2 lakes are not the same so freighters need to enter to be brought to same height.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter