• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lancaster PA has anyone ever stayed there or been there. Is it safe?

As someone who lives in the Chicago area, this article cracks me up.

After reading this, OP, please please feel free to roam Lancaster at any time day or night. There's a 99% certainty (and the 1% is a "things can happen anywhere, any time" consideration) you will be perfectly fine.

Chicago is no different than any other major metropolitan city. I spent over 40 years around the Philadelphia area, including 15 either living in, going to school in or work in the city itself. Much of it was in the really bad parts of town. Nothing bad ever happened to me. Yes, the big cities have more crime, but they have a lot more people. Places that aren't big enough to be considered a "city" by those standards but are bigger than a "small town" have their own issues too. Lancaster is one of those places.

I used to do field work for insurance fraud, and Lancaster was part of my territory. Yes, I agree that you should be able to walk around most areas of Lancaster with no issues. It's a beautiful place, typically quiet and peaceful. I highly recommend it. But it has its' seedy underbelly side too, so yeah, you still want to use your smarts if you're walking around downtown.

Chicago is no different than any other major metropolitan city. I spent over 40 years around the Philadelphia area, including 15 either living in, going to school in or work in the city itself. Much of it was in the really bad parts of town. Nothing bad ever happened to me. Yes, the big cities have more crime, but they have a lot more people. Places that aren't big enough to be considered a "city" by those standards but are bigger than a "small town" have their own issues too. Lancaster is one of those places.

I used to do field work for insurance fraud, and Lancaster was part of my territory. Yes, I agree that you should be able to walk around most areas of Lancaster with no issues. It's a beautiful place, typically quiet and peaceful. I highly recommend it. But it has its' seedy underbelly side too, so yeah, you still want to use your smarts if you're walking around downtown.

Agreed.

The part that cracked me up about the article was the intense fright the author conveyed, attempting to make me no doubt feel as unsafe in the seedy parts of Lancaster PA as I would standing on the corner of S 55th Street and Ashland in Chicago (or insert big city/location of your choice if Chicago isn't your thing) in the summer at 11pm.

Every "town" has it's problems, but come on. It's hardly a comparison.

Last edited:
I live in Hershey, 30 mins away. Lancaster county is a very safe place, even the city. However, the Amish are not actually in Lancaster city proper, they are all in surrounding areas like Strasburg, Lititz, Intercourse, Blue Ball, etc. The city is safe but does have it's run down areas. I've been to the actual city many times and have never felt threatened.

Agreed.

The part that cracked me up about the article was the intense fright the author conveyed, attempting to make me no doubt feel as unsafe in the seedy parts of Lancaster PA as I would standing on the corner of S 55th Street and Ashland in Chicago (or insert big city/location of your choice if Chicago isn't your thing) in the summer at 11pm.

Every "town" has it's problems, but come on. It's hardly a comparison.

I was being silly to some extent. However, some of the descriptions of the place seemed a little over the top. Especially the jokes about being run over by a buggy or that it's an Amish town, since Amish are actually a very small part of the population anywhere, and in any case don't typically live in cities.

Here's an interesting article on Lancaster.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2015/12/after_years_of_economic_strugg.html

Mac4life30, why would you think Lancaster wasn't safe?

I'm pretty sure the concern is about being targeted as a tourist. Maybe being robbed or having a car broken into. That can happen anywhere that's heavily visited by tourists.

We've been. I have 2 co-workers who visit there at least once a year and have not heard them mention any scary situations.

I'm pretty sure the concern is about being targeted as a tourist. Maybe being robbed or having a car broken into. That can happen anywhere that's heavily visited by tourists.

True, but Lancaster isn't exactly a tourist mecca. The "tourists" are mostly people like me who drive over for the day from the Philly suburbs to hit the outlet centers and maybe have a nice meal. It's really a rather rural area with a few small attractions, a couple of malls, and a small downtown.

True, but Lancaster isn't exactly a tourist mecca. The "tourists" are mostly people like me who drive over for the day from the Philly suburbs to hit the outlet centers and maybe have a nice meal. It's really a rather rural area with a few small attractions, a couple of malls, and a small downtown.

I suppose it's possible that a local kid might break into your car at the Tanger Outlets, but that can happen at any shopping center, anywhere.

Isn't the big attraction Amish country? I know the Amish have sort of love-hate relationship with tourism. Nobody likes being gawked at, but then again isn't selling goods to tourists is a substantial source of income for them?

I've pretty much only seen the Amish or Mennonites on or around Amtrak. Something about going to Mexico for cheaper major medical care.

I will NEVER buy Amish products or visit "Amish Country". The way they treat their animals is reprehensible.

Wow! All Amish people are the same and treat their animals in the same manner? Hope you are a vegetarian also.

Well, I did have a horse and buggy almost pull out in front of me tonight in a 55 mph coming home from Hershey Park. Those horse and buggies sure are dangerous.

Lancaster has always felt very safe to me. Hershey Park and Chocolate World were both very empty tonight - loved no crowds and no waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter