Land Border Opening?

mamaofsix

DIS Veteran
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-r...est-at-the-u-s-border-now-in-effect-1.5309007
The new rules in the article above seem to be referencing "non-essential travelers" crossing the land border. It stipulates that non-essential travelers must produce a negative COVID test within the last 72 hours. It also states, "Starting on Feb. 22, non-essential travellers will also be required to take a COVID-19 test at the border as well as at the end of their 14-day quarantine."

The current border closure implemented by Trudeau expires on Feb. 21st, but has been renewed every month since last March. Dare one hope that the Feb. 22nd start date of these new protocols mean that the border is opening up???

While I agree with momof2gr8kids post above I do think there’s a small positive .

I am hopeful that this is the very beginning of processes being put in place for the slow reopening of borders , one day . I think we are a long way off, but having the ability to test at the land border and airports could transition into those systems being in place for eventual non essential crossings .

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/new-r...est-at-the-u-s-border-now-in-effect-1.5309007
The new rules in the article above seem to be referencing "non-essential travelers" crossing the land border. It stipulates that non-essential travelers must produce a negative COVID test within the last 72 hours. It also states, "Starting on Feb. 22, non-essential travellers will also be required to take a COVID-19 test at the border as well as at the end of their 14-day quarantine."

The current border closure implemented by Trudeau expires on Feb. 21st, but has been renewed every month since last March. Dare one hope that the Feb. 22nd start date of these new protocols mean that the border is opening up???
The Canadian border (land or otherwise) has never been closed to any Canadian citizen for entry into Canada. The new rules just indicate that a negative COVID-19 test will now be required, with additional measures starting February 22nd.

While I agree with momof2gr8kids post above I do think there’s a small positive .

I am hopeful that this is the very beginning of processes being put in place for the slow reopening of borders , one day . I think we are a long way off, but having the ability to test at the land border and airports could transition into those systems being in place for eventual non essential crossings .

They'll use the data to determine next steps re border openings, travel, etc. There are a lot of parties (us govt reps, canadian, travel industry, general public, etc.) pushing for ability to come across if you've been vaccinated. Hopefully data will show vaccinated people are not a risk or at least having a negative covid test pre arrival and post arrival are not a risk either. Time will tell I guess, but hopefully not too long! Itching to get away next year. It's minus 40 with the wind chill right now. I'm watching Poly resort tours on You tube. Love my smart TV. LOL

I'm expecting the border to stay closed til Fall as that's when the majority of Canadians should be vaccinated.

I'm expecting the border to stay closed til Fall as that's when the majority of Canadians should be vaccinated.
That’s what I’m thinking too. I’m still hopeful that ramping up testing capabilities and having them in place at the borders now will mean a smooth transition to reopening them when we get there.

I hope the land border reopens in the summer. I suspect there will be a great deal of pressure for the tourism industry to restart. The pace of vaccination is quite good in the United State and they will be likely the first large country to turn the corner on this pandemic and set up some sort of rule for international visitors that makes sense. I am optimistic but we will need to see where this goes.

Agreed. I don't see it being open before a majority are vaccinated.

This may be a daunting task. While there is an eagerness right now to get a vaccine, polling still shows that only 65% of American adults want it.

Studies are noting that we likely need to get to upwards of 75% of the entire population to be vaccinated to be heavily effective in not only squashing the spread but also in reducing/preventing more emergence of variants. Although studies are still ongoing because they don't know how effective the vaccines are at preventing spread from those that have been vaccinated.

The good news is that here in Canada 87% of Canadians say they will for sure or most likely get the vaccine.

But we'll likely be waiting until there is high adoption of the vaccine on both sides of the border before they more heavily open it up with low restrictions. I'm hoping both availability AND adoption, along with studies that hopefully show the vaccine is effective in transmission too happens quickly. I can't wait to be able to travel back to the US.

I’m also thinking September, once the kids are back in school and high travel season would have ended... which will likely coincide with larger % of population vaccinated (both in Canada and USA) the borders will reopen for leisure travel without having to jump through a million hoops. Now... if this happens in time for summer travel... I’ll be pleasantly surprised. As much as I want to go somewhere (across the border) this summer, I would rather it stay closed til Fall and then reopen sans restrictions and once and for all :)
I have a lot of time off this summer, if inter provincial travel is allowed we may fly to BC and Quebec City & Montreal. We have never been as we are always too busy flying internationally. I don’t know the first thing about planning a trip to either place, where to stay and what to do... but we’ll see.

Nope. Not a chance. They're just referring to Canadians who are returning home to Canada from the US, such as mentioned above, snowbirds who flew to the US and are now driving home. It would also likely include those who were able to get a "pass" to cross for reasons such as serious illness/death in family, medical travel, visit a loved one etc...

Last edited:
I prepared for that and made travel plans in Canada and Ontario this summer. Taking a road trip to Montreal to visit La Ronde. Do Collingwood again.

We don't dare make any plans. All travel into and out of our border is closed. There's talk they may re-open the Atlantic Bubble this spring, but my guess is outside of that we'll still be under isolation requirements.

We won’t be going anywhere, except PEI, if we have to quarantine for two weeks. If that goes away by summer, we could end up in Bahamas at Atlantis after all! *dreams*
Sorry with or without Covid, In the summer We would take PEI over Bahamas all week long. Yumm get me some Cows now....we even drive to Niagara for some Cows,,,just saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter