Language trends you dislike

It drives me crazy when I hear people say, "I had ran" or "I had went" instead of the correct "I had run" and "I had gone."

While I agree that double t's can sound forced if someone tries to articulate BOTH t's, but we really don't do that. Like NotUrsula said it's more of a light tongue touch to the roof of your mouth that comes off as a single t or even a bit like a "d." Button is "but-en," Kitty sounds like "kid-e." I just took my dog out to go "pod-e." That is normal, IMO. No one expects "but ton" or "kit ty" or "pot ty." What is weird is the glottal back of the throat - no tongue touch to the roof of your mouth - that forces a break followed by an "un." "Bu-un," "kih-e" or "pah-ee" are just not right. While some languages employ the glottal sounds, being "normal" to put it in English is a new thing.

Last edited:

I’m starting to get annoyed with people posting some random picture on Facebook and then the caption is just “IYKYK”…(if you know, you know)

I am guilty of some of these. Some come from listening to my kids, like bro, dude etc. Y'all... Well I didn't used to say that until I moved to Missouri, now its " Do y'all need anything" I'm fixin to go to the store!" Admittedly, I curse like a sailor, but I do try to read the room, and can use my filter when needed.
My pet peeve is people putting an S on the end of words that don't need them.

I absolutely despise referring to children as kiddos. It makes me absolutely crazy every time I hear it. I have many others but that is my number 1
I must admit, hearing people refer to kids a "littles" or " the littles" makes my skin crawl. Kiddos is a close second!

I think just the lack of enunciation that is becoming more and more commonplace is my biggest pet peeve. I teach high school and I can hardly understand what they are saying because they just don't enunciate.
Yes, this is similar to what I was going to say. I think some people are growing up texting more than talking, and then in the rare situations where they do talk out loud, their speech is slurred as if they had drunk too much, to the point where I have no idea what they were trying to say.

Okay, Molly from Allears uses a LOT of words that just make me roll my eyes and she's starting to get on my last nerve. I used to love watching her, but the trendy kidspeak is annoying. Instead of "for my first meal" she now refers to it as "her first feeding". Sooo stupid sounding. Let's see, I'm trying to think. There are several...calling noodles, "noods". Referring to everything as a "situation", as in, "let's go check out the pool situation". Using these terms every once in a while wouldn't bug me, but she does it so often now that she's starting to sound like someone who is getting older but still trying desperately to sound young and fit in with the cool kids. Once she finds a trendy new word, she NEVER calls it by anything else. OH and the term, "I'm here for it". What happened to "I'm loving it" or "I'm enjoying it"??

Using 'I' instead of 'me,' as in , 'He gave the present to my husband and I.". It's ME! It's ok and correct to use 'me' sometimes!
The easy way to check this: Remove the other person from the sentence and see whether "I" or "me" fits. Example:
- He gave the present to me. WORKS.
- He gave the present to I. NOPE, NO GOOD.
- So add in the other person /keep the word that works.

Related: Reflexive pronouns without anything to reflect. Example:
- "I'll bring lunch myself." WORKS because "I" is the pronoun /"myself" is the reflexive pronoun.
- "Please give your donations to myself in Room 101." NOPE, NO GOOD. Can't use "myself" without another noun /pronoun.
Sports interview during the olympics.

Interviewer: Congratulations! How does it feel winning the gold?

Olympian: Thank you. Great question, it felt fantastic ...

I mean really. Is that really a great question? No. It is a obvious question. How do you think they feel? They just worked their butt off for years getting to this moment and achieved their goal at the highest level.
We make fun of this trend at our house:
"So we're about to begin the big game. What's your plan, Coach?"
"We're going after their big man."
"We're going to focus on defense."
"This is a building year for us, so we're focusing on the basics."

When we hear this, we start joking:
"We're going to try to score more points than the other team."
"I'm going to try to run faster /jump higher than my opponent."
I think just the lack of enunciation that is becoming more and more commonplace is my biggest pet peeve. I teach high school and I can hardly understand what they are saying because they just don't enunciate.
Yes, I have significant trouble understanding some of my students, especially with masks. Part of it is students who lack confidence /won't speak up, but a lot of it is lack of enunciation.
I loathe the word "ya'll". What's even worse is the phrase "all ya'll".
Stay out of the South! No sweet tea or liver mush for you!

The easy way to check this: Remove the other person from the sentence and see whether "I" or "me" fits. Example:
- He gave the present to me. WORKS.
- He gave the present to I. NOPE, NO GOOD.
- So add in the other person /keep the word that works.

Related: Reflexive pronouns without anything to reflect. Example:
- "I'll bring lunch myself." WORKS because "I" is the pronoun /"myself" is the reflexive pronoun.
- "Please give your donations to myself in Room 101." NOPE, NO GOOD. Can't use "myself" without another noun /pronoun.

We make fun of this trend at our house:
"So we're about to begin the big game. What's your plan, Coach?"
"We're going after their big man."
"We're going to focus on defense."
"This is a building year for us, so we're focusing on the basics."

When we hear this, we start joking:
"We're going to try to score more points than the other team."
"I'm going to try to run faster /jump higher than my opponent."

Yes, I have significant trouble understanding some of my students, especially with masks. Part of it is students who lack confidence /won't speak up, but a lot of it is lack of enunciation.

Stay out of the South! No sweet tea or liver mush for you!
Well, I live in Texas so I'm kind of out of luck!!

I am guilty of some of these. Some come from listening to my kids, like bro, dude etc. Y'all... Well I didn't used to say that until I moved to Missouri, now its " Do y'all need anything" I'm fixin to go to the store!" Admittedly, I curse like a sailor, but I do try to read the room, and can use my filter when needed.
My pet peeve is people putting an S on the end of words that don't need them.
I've used "Y'all" and "bro" here on the board jokingly, they're not things I say verbally outside of the board. Knowing that one has power to control peoples' emotions with "Y'all" and "Bro" is like having some sort of Mighty Morphin ability!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter