• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lanyards/Tickets

princessmama

Earning My Ears
So does everyone in my family need a lanyard so that each person has their ticket with them? I'm used to the Disney way and it sounds like it is much different at US. We are also staying at RPR so we will have EP so does that mean it's an additional ticket? I'm just thinking if I should buy lanyards for each family member before we go? Maybe a different Hogwarts House lanyard for each of us! lol Thanks so much!

lanyards are convenient.
put the room key on one side of the plastic holder and the ep on the other side.
i only have to take out my AP to scan when i enter.
all other times it is not needed unless i hop parks.

if you do EE, you show your hotel room key to the TM that is directing where people should go during EE.
signs are up to show you which ticket lanes will handle the tickets for EE.

if you have littles under age 6, you decide if they should hang on to their passes or if you should.

get lanyards that have the plastic sleeve that can be pinched closed tightly.

the hotel key card is good for entering your room, charging back to your hotel, having items sent to your hotel that you purchase in the parks, and to allow you entrance into the park for EE.

the photo id express pass is only used to show to enter the ride line.
most rides you show that paper card to the TM at the entrance line for ep.
you show it again to the last TM at the end of the ride in order to enter the ride area

They sell cheaper ones in the parks(8.99?), different themed ones(12.99 I think), or you can purchase them ahead of time. I always go straight into the big universal store at the entrance when I bring new people to the parks. They have the large selection of lanyards so they can see them all.
I put my EP on one side and ticket on the other. I keep my room key in my wallet.
Mac's right, get one with a plastic sleeve that they can scan your EP though as you will have to access this each ride and twice per ride.
My nephews who are 5&7 get to wear their own lanyard. Up to you! You will want quick access to each person's EP who is traveling with you. I saw one father with about 10 plastic sleeves on his lanyard!

Hope you all have fun!

Personally, I can't stand lanyards because they make my neck hot and itchy. Plus I don't like having them in all our family pictures. I just consolidated everyone's cards (room key, express pass, ticket, and photoconnect) into one small card holder that I kept in an easy-to-reach pocket in my backpack. I think DH kept his own room key, but I kept everything else. It was slightly tedious having to dig them out when we wanted the EP, but definitely not undoable. I would just hold all 4 EPs out to be scanned, it was probably quicker than everyone having their own. Lots of people wear lanyards though - if you don't mind having something around your neck.

FWIW, every so often when I'm feeling sassy, I loop my lanyard through a belt loop and have the lanyard "pouch" in my pocket. I feel waaaaaaaaay cooler than I know I look, but it's not like most people at a themepark look any way that would be considered "nice" in the outside world, LOL.

So does everyone in my family need a lanyard so that each person has their ticket with them? I'm used to the Disney way and it sounds like it is much different at US.

Since we're also Disneyland people, it's not so different. WDW is the place that changed, really, with their MB and FP+. But at WDW even if I'm wearing a MB I *also* carry my ID, a CC, my insurance card, our DVC membership card...and if we had an AP we would need to carry the AP discount card with us if I wanted a discount and DH wasn't with me (DVC is in his name still). And some cash. We should all be carrying ID, CC, and insurance card with us anyway, just in case, so really, it's not so different at WDW.

At Disneyland staying onsite you carry your keycard and your admission and then any FPs go in in the pouch, just like they used to at WDW. Heck, when we first stayed onsite at Disneyland we also had a flimsy, weirdly-sized, piece of paper to show when we wanted to charge back to the room. And that wasn't even 10 years ago.

Didn't use wear a lanyard at WDW pre-MBs?

We are also staying at RPR so we will have EP so does that mean it's an additional ticket?

Yes it's an additional piece of tyvek/paper. Pretend it's a FP before FP+. :)

I'm just thinking if I should buy lanyards for each family member before we go? Maybe a different Hogwarts House lanyard for each of us!

I wouldn't do it ahead of time.

We have the house lanyards. DS has Griffindor, I'm Ravenclaw, and DH was Hufflepuff but then took a different quiz that put him in Slytherin. Both work for him so now he calls himself a SlytherPuff. But he rarely wears the "school tie" style lanyard we got him.

We learned the hard way last November that we should have brought our Disney lanyards for our first visit. It only took the first day to realize the mistake of leaving our Disney lanyard at the room, but all other days we wore our Disney lanyards at Universal. Disney pins and all. pirate: Clearly you could tell we were dabbling both parks.

Yes it's an additional piece of tyvek/paper. Pretend it's a FP before FP+. :)

Much better than the original FP. They're good at any time, and no running to the attraction in the morning just to get an FP in the afternoon.

We have the house lanyards. DS has Griffindor, I'm Ravenclaw, and DH was Hufflepuff but then took a different quiz that put him in Slytherin. Both work for him so now he calls himself a SlytherPuff. But he rarely wears the "school tie" style lanyard we got him.
Do the house lanyards come with a pouch? The Universal Store web site shows the pouches with their standard lanyards but not in the pics of the HP tie lanyards.

Do they sell the witz cases in the park? I like the idea of letting the kids pick out their own vs. buying ahead of time. Also can you use a carabiner to clip it to a belt loop and go on rides or is that a no no? Specifically Hulk, DC, HRRR

FWIW, every so often when I'm feeling sassy, I loop my lanyard through a belt loop and have the lanyard "pouch" in my pocket. I feel waaaaaaaaay cooler than I know I look, but it's not like most people at a themepark look any way that would be considered "nice" in the outside world, LOL.

That's what I do all the time. Avoid that awkward bending at the turnstiles.

We got everyone the same Minions lanyard, but purchased a different Minion pin for each one to help tell them apart. We love lanyards - leave everything in the room safe and stuff the lanyard with ticket, room key, fast pass, maybe $40 cash. Well, maybe keep the room key in a safe shorts pocket. Don't forget to tuck the lanyard into your shirt on the more active rides.

I know it isn't fun but I bought our lanyards on Amazon. I got 5 with sealable pouches for maybe $10-12. I like the HP ones but that really added up for the family. So we are using plain ones for our trip.

We use retractable lanyard holders. I can't stand something around my neck either especially in the heat! We use the same pouches but they are attached to our belt loops-they pull away for scanning then tidily retract back.

Much better than the original FP. They're good at any time, and no running to the attraction in the morning just to get an FP in the afternoon.

Oh I was simply referring to the card. Not the actual use. :)

Seems like people have totally forgotten just a couple/few years ago when we all wore lanyards and pouches at WDW! It's weird to me, how that's been forgotten. Though maybe there's just a whole new crop of people who only recently started going to WDW and don't know the history.

Do the house lanyards come with a pouch? The Universal Store web site shows the pouches with their standard lanyards but not in the pics of the HP tie lanyards.

No, I don't think so. Bring your own pouch. DS tends to use his POTC pouch and I used to use my Tink pouch until I got the hard plastic one.

Do they sell the witz cases in the park? I like the idea of letting the kids pick out their own vs. buying ahead of time. Also can you use a carabiner to clip it to a belt loop and go on rides or is that a no no? Specifically Hulk, DC, HRRR

I got my Witz at REI. DS has one that is WDW "themed" that he got at Boardwalk a few years ago.

I would rather have it on a lanyard then down a shirt for the bigger rides, and the TMs might like that better, too.

Something I learned on Saturday...lanyards are not "a thing" at USH! Only people on VIP tours or who bought FOTL had lanyards. Except for me and my son, who were total nerds with our lanyards. Oh well!

Oh I was simply referring to the card. Not the actual use. :)

Seems like people have totally forgotten just a couple/few years ago when we all wore lanyards and pouches at WDW! It's weird to me, how that's been forgotten. Though maybe there's just a whole new crop of people who only recently started going to WDW and don't know the history.

I REMEMBER!!! First time I went to WDW post magictracker I mean magic band I was a total noob. They weren't giving out the AP ones at the ticket window like they did my mom's so we didn't have them. had to use the cards... which I took my lanyard with all my disney pins that day anyways out of habit. Got in the park and was in total shock that lanyards were completely GONE. I have a disney lanyard and pins that just sits on my DVD stand. I also have some old torn pouches with unused fastpasses... found that the other day. About 5 for Mt Everest, some for Space Mountain and one for Rockin Roller Coaster. Were broken down when we returned or someone decided not to ride.

I enjoy my lanyard at Universal. Not sure if I miss them at disney or not. I always ended up carrying everyones junk because I was the only one who would wear one.

I still wear a lanyard at WDW. We still need ID, cc (I rarely charge to the room and even if I set that up I want a backup system), insurance card (never know when your day will end in the ER and DR staff can be a pain unt they get your insurance info), dvc card for discounts, and some cash. Same stuff I carried before. Oh, and the MB.

I'm thinking about making some lanyards for our family. Will anything standard-sized work for the room keys and especially the EPs?

Glad I took a browse here. We haven't been to WDW since MB's and we've never been to Universal yet. (we leave next week..yay!). I have already pulled out my Disney lanyards with all my pins (sounds like I'll be in the minority there though). We've always bought $1 lanyards at Michaels before we leave. I like the idea of House lanyards. Anyone know $$ on those so I can plan? I'm a Ravenclaw, while my family has been sorted into Gryffindor. :)

Glad I took a browse here. We haven't been to WDW since MB's and we've never been to Universal yet. (we leave next week..yay!). I have already pulled out my Disney lanyards with all my pins (sounds like I'll be in the minority there though). We've always bought $1 lanyards at Michaels before we leave. I like the idea of House lanyards. Anyone know $$ on those so I can plan? I'm a Ravenclaw, while my family has been sorted into Gryffindor. :)

https://www.universalorlando.com/Merchandise/Gift/Ravenclaw-Lanyard.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter