Laptop or desktop?

nsyncraider17

DIS Veteran
My parents are getting me a computer before I start at Ohio State, and I'm not sure if I want a laptop or a desktop. Right now I'm leaning towards a laptop--I'll only be 20 minutes away from home, so if I come home on weekends or whenever, I can bring it with me and use it here. Several of my friends who are already at OSU prefer desktops, though--I think their reasons are primarily that desktops are less expensive and less easily stolen.

So, what kind of computer do you have, and what would you recommend?

i had a laptop for my 4 years at school and i wouldn't have been able to survive without it. when other people would have to lug their desktops to school mine was a simple setup and i could bring it all over with me if i needed to. i also used to bring it home during vacations, which was a huge help and i could get work done when i needed to on my own computer. totally go for a laptop! :flower:

ps. get one of those laptop locks if you are afraid of it getting stolen. i had one when i lived with a roommate because of door locking issues...

I've had a laptop since HS because my HS promoted having them for class. I would never go back to a desktop...ever.

You want a laptop. Works better in a dorm room, taking it to class, the library and home.

You should purchase a laptop lock, looks like a lock and chain for a bicycle. You should also purchase an extended warranty. Places like techbargains.com gives you good discount codes for Dell. Places like COSTCO also have good deals.

when i gratuated high school my parents got my a laptop, even tho i was going to be living at home and commuting to school, having a laptop was so helpful when i couldnt study/write my papers at home i would take it to Barns and Noble or some other place and just write it there. My sister just got a laptop for $750, it even came with a free printer. I really love the HP brand and on their website they have great deals on laptops, they even do a trade in with your old computer. Hope this helps.

Laura

I got a laptop and I love it. Takes up a lot less space than a desktop.

Take it from me, a Mom who paid the bill-get a laptop!!!!We bought my daughter a Dell desktop through the college program, even with the discount I spent 1600.00. She hated the school she choose(o.k. it happens, on to plan B, when she tranferred to another school, that school was all wi-fi, they specifically asked that students get laptops. So I shelled out another 1100. for a Dell laptop. Not all was lost though, my old computer(Gateway, stay away from them) dies, I inherited the desktop and she LOVES her laptop. Not to mention the fact that space is at a premium in any dorn room. Really, Laptops are the way to go. As for theft, ask your parents about putting a rider on their homeowners for the laptop in case of theft.

If you want the convenience of a laptop but also the ability to use a monitor, printer, regular keyboard, etc, that comes with a desktop without any hassle... buy the laptop and a docking station. You can plug all those things into the docking station and just snap the laptop in when you want to use them. I still do this. It is a great way to move from work to home to work to home and back again. This is how I got through college and I love it every day.

It has become especially important as a grad student since I can take my laptop for work and presentations, but bring it home and do all my graphical design on a huge (32") monitor.

You're going to OSU? I'm sorry :earboy2: Kidding, I go to BG and had to make a joke.

I'm going to agree with what everyone else has sid, get a laptop!!!! It makes life SO much easier. You can take it to class, heck take notes on it. I've had english profs give us time to work on papers in class and it's nice being able to do so on my own computer and not have to worry about losing the disk I saved the paper on. Also, you're dorm room and computer lab will get annoying (for lack of a better word) and it's nice to be able to go else where to get work done. I've taken mine down to the dorm lobby late at night and worked on writting music several times. With a desktop you are kinda stuck with where you can work. Laptop gives you SO much more flexiblity.

I love my laptop! I could pull it up onto my bed at night, or take it to the library. The best reason is taking it to class to take notes. One of my friends had a desktop and she liked it, but she was really super organized so it was ok for her. I would recommend a laptop, but hey thats just me!

Get a laptop. They are very handy. I take mine to class with me and type my notes for class. Plus you can lay in bed and surf on the internet or do whatever else you need to. I personally think that desktops are too bulky, plus they take up a lot of room.
I was lucky and my parents didn't have to buy me any type of computer. NMU gives every student an IBM thinkpad and all of the art students here get powerbooks.

nsyncraider17 said:
So, what kind of computer do you have, and what would you recommend?

i also would say to get a laptop. very handy when having to do presentations at school, you can just take your laptop with you. using it at the library, bringing it back from home and back to school, is much easier. the only thing that you might not like if you are not familiar with using laptops is using a mouse or the keyboard on it. you can get a mouse and attach it... that mouse can get annoying afterawhile :badpc: take it from me, i am a pc tech, and working on it all day, i need a regular mouse.

to recommend a certain one... DELL has GREAT products. they usually last long - haven't experienced too many crashes with them. but then again, it depends if you come in contact with viruses, and spyware. the good thing about DELL is that their warranty programs are also good. go for the extended warranty, it is worth it. you never know when something can happen to it, you download a corrupt file, virus attack, etc. they will either try to fix it with you over the phone, even if you may have done something and accidentally changed a configuration. it is a part of the warranty. if it is something with the hardware, like your hard drive fails. they will replace it for you, as part of the warrenty. they usually come with a 2 year warranty, the extended is about 4 years or whatever you customize it to be.

good luck! :earsgirl: ::MinnieMo

almost all the chicks i knew had laptops. almost all the guys i knew had desktops.

also, now that i think of it, most of the chicks i knew had laptops from stores(HPs, toshibas, compaqs, etc.), which is probably why i had to spend so much time helping girls fix computers. most of the guys i knew either built their own or had Dells.

i think i'm the only apple fan on the dis. haha. my computer has never had a problem. i've had it for 4 years and never asked any man (or woman for that matter) to fix it for me. if you don't mind getting an apple they have GREAT laptops. i (with my dad's help) even convinced my boyfriend, who's a comp sci major to switch. he says he'll never go back. :rotfl:

iggbees said:
i think i'm the only apple fan on the dis. haha. my computer has never had a problem. i've had it for 4 years and never asked any man (or woman for that matter) to fix it for me. if you don't mind getting an apple they have GREAT laptops. i (with my dad's help) even convinced my boyfriend, who's a comp sci major to switch. he says he'll never go back. :rotfl:

ur not alone :) - i have a 12" PowerBook G4 and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's so portable, but powerful enough that your not sacrificing power for portability.

It goes on all vacations with me, to class to record and type notes, and back home to browse the web in bed.

i love apple.

Another vote for the laptop. Like everyone already said, it's so versatile. I have a Dell, which I like very much and feel safe with it because they offer a 4 year insurance plan and a 4 year accidental damage protection plan. Definitely glad I have that since someone accidentally spilled water on my friends apple and it had over $1000 of damage that wasn’t covered :eek:

I received a Dell laptop as my high school graduation gift. I LOVE it, especially because I go home on weekends. I also love taking it onto campus and using the wireless internet. You can take it everywhere - for classes, at Starbucks, etc and a lot of people also use their laptops in our gardens when its nice outside. I definitely suggest getting a lock for it. I use a Microsaver lock by Kensington (which is what most people use) and haven't had any issues with theft. Most people who came with desktops at the beginning of the year ended up buying laptops at some point, anyways!

KingKobra said:
Another vote for the laptop. Like everyone already said, it's so versatile. I have a Dell, which I like very much and feel safe with it because they offer a 4 year insurance plan and a 4 year accidental damage protection plan. Definitely glad I have that since someone accidentally spilled water on my friends apple and it had over $1000 of damage that wasn’t covered :eek:

one of the downside's of apple is that they don't offer an insurance/accidental damage plan.

heck they charge you almost $400 for a standard 3 yr warranty, I'd gladly pay another $100, incase i by mistake spilt something on it or dropped it.

thumbs up too dell for that one.

supercarrie said:
I received a Dell laptop as my high school graduation gift. I LOVE it, especially because I go home on weekends. I also love taking it onto campus and using the wireless internet. You can take it everywhere - for classes, at Starbucks, etc and a lot of people also use their laptops in our gardens when its nice outside. I definitely suggest getting a lock for it. I use a Microsaver lock by Kensington (which is what most people use) and haven't had any issues with theft. Most people who came with desktops at the beginning of the year ended up buying laptops at some point, anyways!

I was in a similiar situation, but after 2 years I think I want to switch to a desktop. Colleges now-a-days all have computers all over campus. I've never taken my laptop with me to school because it was just a hassle to lug it around. I will definitely miss the convienence of being able to take it anywhere. However, I started getting into video games and most lap tops can't handle that. You can also get a lot more cool options with desktops. I think it would be good to maybe have both? A cheap laptop to take around, and maybe a nice desktop. I doubt anyone has the money for that, but that is what I would do if I were rich (ahh to be rich). Oh, and about the lock situation. I had a lock just like that and they work really well. I would reccomend it, especially for the dorms.

Best of luck in college! :cool1:

Definetly a laptop.

I started at Uni with a desktop and it just took up so much space in my room and in the car going home at the end of the year. Anyways, it broke! So I got a laptop for my b-day this year and I love it! Great to be able to take it to the library so I dont have to write essays twice, and love being able to chat with friends on IM or whatever from bed, or watch DVDs on it lounging around also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter