Large family’s strategy

jshow89

Earning My Ears
hey everyone one we are planning a large family trip to wdw, we are DVC members so very familiar to the world but we don’t usually travel with such a large number of people

So basically we are a group of 6 families

3 of those families are couples with kids aged 5-8
The other 3 are no children

How would you recommend tackling the parks with such a different group, the kids will likely Ben up and going early, the couples with kids probably won’t be up and looking to jump into the parks first thing in the morning, but rather use the parks more after the sun goes down.

Should we plan to set a time and meet up then, meet up at a meal? We are likely going to get ddp so we should have a meal together once a day, just wondering what other people do in scenarios like this

Don't try to spend all day together which I think you realized already.

One meal per day is what many people do. IMHO, there's little advantage to the DDP. It's not designed to save money.

Don't try to spend all day together which I think you realized already.

One meal per day is what many people do. IMHO, there's little advantage to the DDP. It's not designed to save money.
Along with maybe one FP ride together

Either divide up onto “thrill ride” group and “non thrill ride” group or by individual families. I think the former is best. That way no one has to sit out a ride they want to do because little Suzy doesn’t want to go.

With that many people who probably have different interests, I would just set up times to meet instead of everyone spending all their park time together.

We have a big, extended family trip planned for July 1-7. There are 24 of us, 14 adults and 10 kids ages 14-8. We have dinner at Trail's End for all of us on July 3rd, CRT for lunch on July 4th, and Typhoon Lagoon on July 5th. Other than that, we're on our own to do what we want. It's so much easier to take this approach. Less conflict, arguing and everyone is happy working their days around these scheduled activities.

Years ago we tried the same trip, but that time the grandmothers insisted we all do the same things, all the time. The trip was a nightmare, with a lot of arguing and conflict. It's just too much to expect a large group of people to be together, doing the same things, all the time.

When we have done bigger family vacations, we tend to meet up for dinner every day and then share a few specific activities. The rest of the time, everyone pursues their own interests. It has worked well for us.

Maybe, if the other groups aren't as Disney savy as y'all, then you can pick a park for everybody per day too, have a meal in that park (or nearby) and then do your own thing......if not a FP or 2, it will be helpful for them to have a bit of guidance on park days....

Years ago we tried the same trip, but that time the grandmothers insisted we all do the same things, all the time. The trip was a nightmare, with a lot of arguing and conflict. It's just too much to expect a large group of people to be together, doing the same things, all the time.

The same thing happened to us last time but we didn’t have a large group. Just my Brother-in-law, hahahaha. He has since learned the pain of traveling with children and seen the error of his ways. Sorry bud, toddlers don’t much enjoy drinking around the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter