Large group dining is outrageously complicated

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
I have been trying for about 2 months now to get a reservation for 20 people at a restaurant for one night. Most restaurants you have to get the phone number for their large party dining and then play phone tag with these people because the phone number is really only for a voicemail. I’m about to pull my hair out. How do people do this for a whole vacation?

I have been trying for about 2 months now to get a reservation for 20 people at a restaurant for one night. Most restaurants you have to get the phone number for their large party dining and then play phone tag with these people because the phone number is really only for a voicemail. I’m about to pull my hair out. How do people do this for a whole vacation?

Yes, i had some similar issues, and my group is just 8. Weird that Disney seems to make things difficult for group reservations.

We had 8 last month but I didn’t have any issues with booking through MDE for the whole week 🤷🏼‍♀️

A lot of restaurants have a limit on the number of people on a reservation. For Via Napoli, I and another person in the group had to make separate reservations for 4, for the same time, because there were no times available for a group of 8. Weird. Now maybe all the groups tables were already booked, but knowing Via, it is easy enough to put tables together

Split up the groups into a couple of tables.

This! Several years ago DH was trying to plan a family dinner for my birthday at Il Mulino but they said any party size over 12 (we were going to have 14) had to go through their special events booking group which required a minimum spend, special menu, etc. We ended up booking for 12 and adding the 2 additional people to the group when we arrived. If you can make 2 reservations for 10 people each, I would definitely do that rather than play phone tag.

We contemplated this but it’s a rehearsal dinner for a wedding so the bride and groom want everyone together and not risk tables across the restaurant from each other.
I had good luck calling during the week not a weekend with a party of 14. we did end up waiting at a few places but we were seated at tables that were pushed together. onr thing the tables were in a long line not easy to talk as a group depending on where you sat

I had good luck calling during the week not a weekend with a party of 14. we did end up waiting at a few places but we were seated at tables that were pushed together. onr thing the tables were in a long line not easy to talk as a group depending on where you sat
I can barely get these people to call me back. I get one phone call and of course it’s when I’m in the shower or in a meeting. Did you ever get through to anyone when you called in? Every time I call it goes straight to their voicemail so I don’t think it actually rings on their end. Of course all this and who knows if they even have availability.

I can barely get these people to call me back. I get one phone call and of course it’s when I’m in the shower or in a meeting. Did you ever get through to anyone when you called in? Every time I call it goes straight to their voicemail so I don’t think it actually rings on their end. Of course all this and who knows if they even have availability.
i have had food luck calling Monday and Wednesday mornings around 10m am east coast time for WDW. I have never got voicemail but the one time I called on a weekend got someone but she wasn't willing to do anything with my big group

Try QS instead of TS restaurants. Places like Katsura Grill at the Japan Pavilion come to mind.

Go ahead and book several tables at say BOG lunch where you seat yourselves in large seating areas. Make your ADR soon after opening or during off hours.

9 Dragons is frequently not filled so perhaps give them a call in advance.

Should anyone in the group be staying CL have the concierge book a dining reservation.

Consider some of the DS restaurants that you can call directly. At least 2 I can think of have private rooms.

HTH.

Just remembered. FF on the Boardwalk blocks off space for large parties as well.

Are you trying only specific restaurants or checking all of them? I had no problems finding multiple reservations online for 14 over Thanksgiving week. Only Cinderella’s I had to split.

When I had to call about dining concerns, I did leave a voice mail and it took a few days but I did get a call back. I hope you hear from someone soon.

If the wedding is also being held at Disney, did you try to talk to the events coordinator planning that wedding? Perhaps they would have more luck talking live with the involved restaurant.

Are you trying only specific restaurants or checking all of them? I had no problems finding multiple reservations online for 14 over Thanksgiving week. Only Cinderella’s I had to split.
I have calls into a few of them. The cast members on the dining reservations line have indicated very few even give the option to book over the phone/online with a large party so each one has a separate phone number. I didn't get the phone number for every restaurant so I narrowed it down to a few and have been playing phone tag.
When I had to call about dining concerns, I did leave a voice mail and it took a few days but I did get a call back. I hope you hear from someone soon.
I don't receive a call back every time and that is what's frustrating. I call, leave a message, two days later get a call when I am of course busy, call back leave another message, a week later no return call, call again, leave another message, wait another week with no calls back, and so on and so forth.

If the wedding is also being held at Disney, did you try to talk to the events coordinator planning that wedding? Perhaps they would have more luck talking live with the involved restaurant.
Yes, they asked but they do not assist with dining or hotel reservations. The only take care of the wedding event and food for reception.

Bride and groom agreed to two separate reservations for 10 people 20 minutes apart from each other at Olivia's. Still waiting on a call back from the large party group coordinator to see if they can link these so people aren't sitting far apart from each other.

Try QS instead of TS restaurants. Places like Katsura Grill at the Japan Pavilion come to mind.

Go ahead and book several tables at say BOG lunch where you seat yourselves in large seating areas. Make your ADR soon after opening or during off hours.

9 Dragons is frequently not filled so perhaps give them a call in advance.

Should anyone in the group be staying CL have the concierge book a dining reservation.

Consider some of the DS restaurants that you can call directly. At least 2 I can think of have private rooms.

HTH.

Just remembered. FF on the Boardwalk blocks off space for large parties as well.

Bride is picky on restaurants so we originally found two tables for 9 Dragons but she didn't want to eat there and they decided being outside of the park might be easier for everyone to get in and out while dressed up etc. Biergarten also had availability but no go there. Given it's a nice event the night before their wedding they wanted sitdown (understandably so). We are staying off property in a large home so no luck with CL, although I told my husband this is 100% when club level is worth it. Booking dining for a large party is near impossible. Thanks for the tips. I was very close to recommending they hire a private chef and eat at the home but I think we have a half acceptable solution right now.

I did this for four years when I was the coordinator for my ds's HS baseball team that always did their spring training/playing at WWoS. I was making ressies for between 20-30 people for approximately 3-4 restaurants a trip. The playing phone tag was the only hiccup. I was always able to get exactly what we wanted and when we wanted and we would always go the first week or two in March, which once was right before/after Easter.

This is quite an ask. I'm not surprised you're having trouble getting enthusiastic service here.

I mean, besides the obvious technical difficulties of finding a block of seating for 20 people amid any existing ADRs, this sort of dining is just not something most restaurants enjoy. It puts a burden on their kitchen to handle such a chunk of their occupancy all at once and all of the things that would mitigate that burden (establishing a limited menu, pre-ordering drinks, and such) are things they would prefer Disney Meeting & Events handle. Also, it seems you're poking around World Showcase, where the level of ownership and responsibility is a little further removed from WDW proper.

Really, the best solution would be to book a catered private dinner at one of the resort hotels.

I had fantastic luck booking a dinner for 16 at Citricos for my aunt's birthday. We will be dining there in about 10 days.

I had no luck with the regular dining line but they gave me the direct number to the Grand Floridan Cafe where I got "Pat." Pat seems to also handle the custom cake orders too. She's very busy but very good at her job. I wanted GF Cafe because it was more affordable but they had no availability, but she looked all over the resorts for me (Citricos, Narcoossee, etc.) and found that they could fit me in at Citricos. She said that they normally only take one large party per evening but since the large party that was already booked was coming in later in the dinner shift, if I could come in at 5:15 for dinner, they'd take us also. She ended up booking me four ADRs for four tables (total 16) that will all be sitting together in one area (I think they have a large group "alcove" too, but not sure if I'll be there.

Pat answered the phone right away when I called the GF Cafe line. She did not answer the other number right away for my custom cake order, but she did call me back within about 2 days. She does not work Sun and Mon, I believe so she can be reached Tuesday-Saturday.

Not sure what your budget is, but you can't beat the elegance of Citricos and the GF for a pre-wedding dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter