Large in-room Portholes on Fantasy

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
I am currently booked in a Veranda on the Fantasy. But I got to thinking and realized I may actually prefer a large porthole. I sort of like the idea of sitting in my own private window! I looked up availability and rooms. It's just me, so I don't really need the extra space that comes along with a Family room, but those are the only ones that specifically call out "window seating". There are a couple regular staterooms on Floors 6 or 7 that have Large Portholes, but the description doesn't specifically say there is built-in seating. So, I'm wondering if all Large Portholes have seating and it just doesn't say that, or if its just the Family rooms. Thanks!

We've stayed in both types of OV rooms on the Fantasy. The larger family cabin was nice, but it was located in the aft part of the ship on deck 5 and the vibrations were horrible, like trying to sleep on a jackhammer. Last month we were in the smaller OV on the Fantasy on deck 2. The window is a little smaller(I don't think it was as small as the ones on deck 1 on the Magic/Wonder), it still has the cushion to sit on. My almost 5 feet dd had plenty of room to lay in it(I never tried). If you are 6 ft, you might be uncomfortable on it. I LOVED our cabin 2556. It's down a hidden little hallway, no cabins across from it. It was so quiet. I had a different cabin booked for our 2020 cruise, but switched it so we can have 2556 again. I was worried beforehand because it's on the same deck as the Enchanted Garden, but never heard a single sound from the restaurant or from other passengers or from anything else. I'm a very light sleeper and never heard anything at night. Just thought I'd share our experience with a smaller OV cabin in case you decide to try one.

I LOVED our cabin 2556. It's down a hidden little hallway, no cabins across from it. It was so quiet. I had a different cabin booked for our 2020 cruise, but switched it so we can have 2556 again. I was worried beforehand because it's on the same deck as the Enchanted Garden, but never heard a single sound from the restaurant or from other passengers or from anything else. I'm a very light sleeper and never heard anything at night. Just thought I'd share our experience with a smaller OV cabin in case you decide to try one.

I wholeheartedly agree, we stayed in room 2552 and LOVED it. Only hallway noise we heard was from our neighbors which was quite infrequent. In addition, short stairway walks from most everything and when you need to go to the pools or Cabanas, you're first on the elevator :-)

I believe OP is specifically referring to the 9A rooms.

The ocean views on deck 2 are 9B.

There are exactly 6 9A rooms on the very front of the ship (2 each on decks 6,7, and 8). I have no personal info on this, but from pictures of the Fantasy, it does seem that the 9A cabins have the same exact window as the cat 8 cabins. From the deck plans, it does seem that the 9As are a bit smaller than the 8s, as you would expect. But, they do seem to have the extra large portholes, like the cat 8s.

It does seem in the pics that the 9Bs have the smaller porthole windows.

There are also 4 9As in the very aft, but these are accessable rooms.

Don't do it Lesley!

If you'd like sitting in a window, you'll love sitting out on your own private verandah :love:

We stayed on the Magic in a room with a large porthole back in 2012, but once we switched to try our first verandah in 2016, we would never go back.

Also…yay! I didn't know you were going on the Fantasy! When is this trip?

We stayed in room 9500 (category 8B) back in 2016. I loved the large porthole. But be warned the seat, isn't really something you will spend a lot of time sitting in unless you are tiny and/or petite. I'm 5'8" and a size 14 and I could sit in it for a short period of time, but I wouldn't want to sit there and lounge for an hour relaxing. It is perfect for kids. We have an 8A next cruise with the 2 large portholes and I can't wait!

I've stayed in all 3 types of rooms on the Fantasy and can honestly say I have not had a bad experience. Balcony's are really nice, but not worth the extra expense for me. My last 2 balcony rooms have been upgrades given to us by MIL for special occasions.

We stayed in room 9500 (category 8B) back in 2016. I loved the large porthole. But be warned the seat, isn't really something you will spend a lot of time sitting in unless you are tiny and/or petite. I'm 5'8" and a size 14 and I could sit in it for a short period of time, but I wouldn't want to sit there and lounge for an hour relaxing. It is perfect for kids. We have an 8A next cruise with the 2 large portholes and I can't wait!

I've stayed in all 3 types of rooms on the Fantasy and can honestly say I have not had a bad experience. Balcony's are really nice, but not worth the extra expense for me. My last 2 balcony rooms have been upgrades given to us by MIL for special occasions.
We're in 9000 for our upcoming cruise, so same room just port. Any tips/advice for that room?

We're in 9000 for our upcoming cruise, so same room just port. Any tips/advice for that room?

I am not sure about your side of the boat, but if my memory is correct our room was directly across from the laundry and the door to the officers quarters. it was super quiet. We love being all the way forward so there is minimal traffic

I am not sure about your side of the boat, but if my memory is correct our room was directly across from the laundry and the door to the officers quarters. it was super quiet. We love being all the way forward so there is minimal traffic

Yeah - no laundry on port side Deck 9 on the Dream Class. I avoid Starboard there to avoid the potential heat and noise. (It was a few cabins and an elevator lobby down from my Deck 2 cabin on the Wonder and it was definitely warmer walking by that door.)

Last edited:
Don't do it Lesley!

If you'd like sitting in a window, you'll love sitting out on your own private verandah :love:

We stayed on the Magic in a room with a large porthole back in 2012, but once we switched to try our first verandah in 2016, we would never go back.

Also…yay! I didn't know you were going on the Fantasy! When is this trip?
Well, I figure a gradual upgrade. Medium porthole on first cruise. Large porthole on second cruise. Veranda on third cruise (Alaskan)! This would be Feb 29, 2020 (SWDAS)!

Well, I figure a gradual upgrade. Medium porthole on first cruise. Large porthole on second cruise. Veranda on third cruise (Alaskan)! This would be Feb 29, 2020 (SWDAS)!

Well I guess that’s the way to do it then. You won’t want to go back once you experience the verandah :goodvibes

We always get the large porthole rooms on the Fantasy. They are fantastic but the place to sit in the window is on the skinny side. It's not as big as the window seats that you see down the halls in the common areas. My kid fit fine but my booty was a little too big. I still love those rooms though.

We always get the large porthole rooms on the Fantasy. They are fantastic but the place to sit in the window is on the skinny side. It's not as big as the window seats that you see down the halls in the common areas. My kid fit fine but my booty was a little too big. I still love those rooms though.
Hmm, that is something to consider! I am on the larger side, so the seats probably wouldn't fit as well! Maybe I'll stick with my veranda after all!

Hmm, that is something to consider! I am on the larger side, so the seats probably wouldn't fit as well! Maybe I'll stick with my veranda after all!

Another thing to ask yourself is how much time do you plan on staying in the room? We are hardly in it except to change or drop things off in the room. I don't think you will regret it, you could always pull the desk chair over to it and use the window seat for your feet.

Another thing to ask yourself is how much time do you plan on staying in the room? We are hardly in it except to change or drop things off in the room. I don't think you will regret it, you could always pull the desk chair over to it and use the window seat for your feet.
We were actually in it for longer than I expected on my past cruise. But I think that was due to poor planning on my part. 4 days at WDW straight, followed by a cruise really wiped us out (and I am even a pretty experience Disney parks tourer, but I guess given the chance to collapse, I'll take it)! This time I'm just going to have 1 park day (and then it will more be a partial day) pre-cruise.

Do you get the full desk chair in the regular oceanview rooms (not family rooms)? We just had a little stool to sit on.

We were actually in it for longer than I expected on my past cruise. But I think that was due to poor planning on my part. 4 days at WDW straight, followed by a cruise really wiped us out (and I am even a pretty experience Disney parks tourer, but I guess given the chance to collapse, I'll take it)! This time I'm just going to have 1 park day (and then it will more be a partial day) pre-cruise.

Do you get the full desk chair in the regular oceanview rooms (not family rooms)? We just had a little stool to sit on.

Yikes, this is what we are doing exactly. 4 full days at wdw then an eastern, in this room type. But this is exactly why we did park first then cruise, so we can relax.

I think this is a great room type for the Caribbean. Last time we had a verandah and it was too hot to even enjoy it. I look forward to sitting in the window to look at the ocean.

Yikes, this is what we are doing exactly. 4 full days at wdw then an eastern, in this room type. But this is exactly why we did park first then cruise, so we can relax.

I think this is a great room type for the Caribbean. Last time we had a verandah and it was too hot to even enjoy it. I look forward to sitting in the window to look at the ocean.
I think also it was only a 4-night cruise after the park days, so it felt like we didn't have much time anyways to relax onboard! So many things to do that we never got a chance to do! Like I wanted to check out one of the kids club open houses just to see what it looks like. And didn't see a movie in Buena Vista (we did see Mary Poppins when it was in the Walt Disney Theatre though). Oh well, another time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter