Larger rooms vs. adjoining rooms?

Cwilson

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip for June 2018, and it will be myself, my hubby, 3 kids, and my mom.. so a total of 6. There aren't many resorts that sleep 6. Do other resorts offer adjoining rooms, and is that more cost effective? Any advice would be appreciated!

I just replied in your original thread but I'll say it again here - Disney does not have rooms that connect, however you can request to be side by side or across the hall. Just realize this is only a request and cannot be guaranteed. If being together is a deal-breaker then don't consider two rooms because there's a chance you'll be in totally separate buildings.

Others will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe every resort has at least some connecting rooms. I requested connecting rooms or rooms close with my travel agent. They are very careful to say it is a request and they will try but no guarantee. I was going to go with 2 rooms at Pop, but was overruled by family. You can book with You and hubby and 1 or 2 kids in 1 room and your mom and rest of kids in other room.

I have been looking at port orleans and they have connecting rooms. Looking at some of the photos on the disney website there is a door for connecting in some photos.

I know others have asked and I have read that you request for rooms connecting.

Last edited:

Disney does have rooms that connect. Before joining DVC, we had connecting rooms at POFQ. One room for my family, the connecting room for my parents.

Yes, of course Disney resorts have connecting rooms. The problem is that you can never be guaranteed that you will get them. They aren't a bookable category; you can only request it, cross your fingers, and hope. If not getting connecting rooms is a deal breaker, then consider other options. Family suites at ASMu and AoA sleep 6, as do the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Or book a DVC villa.

We had connecting rooms at AKL for our trip last week. It was wonderful for my son to be able to run from our room into his grandparents room throughout the day. It helped get his energy out.

We are planning a trip for June 2018, and it will be myself, my hubby, 3 kids, and my mom.. so a total of 6. There aren't many resorts that sleep 6. Do other resorts offer adjoining rooms, and is that more cost effective? Any advice would be appreciated!

I would go with two rooms and request connecting rooms. there is a risk that you will not get them however. If being connected is essential, the suites at AoA, ASMu and the FW cabins sleep 6. i am not sure how those options would work for the grand mother, though, which is why I would try for the connecting rooms. In my experience the suites are meant for a Mom, a Dad and children, rather than multiple adults. There is usually only one real bed, with pull out sofas, fold outs and murphy beds comprising most of the rest of the sleeping surfaces.

One way we like to go is to book a category that is limited to a certain area. this at least guarantees rooms in reasonably close proximity to one another. For example, you could book GF CL in sugar loaf. that way you would all be in the same building. Similarly you could book business class in CSR. Or a pool view Royal Room in POR. The CR has CL all on the one floor. If you book TPV or BLV for both rooms, you would be on the same floor along the same hall even if you weren't successful getting connecting rooms. At some other resorts, it is possible to end up with rooms that are very distant from one another.

Good Luck!

We are a family of 5 and always book a suite or a DVC villa. There's no guarantee of getting adjoining rooms, and having the living space separate from sleeping areas is really nice...especially when the kids are napping and we are wide awake.

We had connecting rooms at WL. It was very nice. You can request it during booking and again at check in. We prefer not to check in online because talking to a person seems to give us a better chance of getting our needs met. It is not guaranteed.

We've had connecting rooms both times we booked at CSR CBR with our 4 kids.
They'll do their best to accommodate - more adults you have the less they may see it as a necessity to connect. But they do what they can.

We have taken 4 trips in the last 4 years and twice we had connecting rooms and twice we had rooms next door to each other. We always travel as a party of 9. Our next trip we will need 3 rooms and are hoping to get two connecting and 1 next door.

I just make a request when I make my reservations. I've always done online check in and make sure that is our first request. Plus we always check in early in the day. That may help as well. Plus we have 5 children and 4 adults in our party. Our connecting rooms were at Movies and CBR pirate rooms.

Every Disney resort has connecting rooms.

The deluxe villa (DVC) resorts are a little different than the hotel resorts, in that connecting room pairs are generally studios connecting to one-bedroom villas (making a lock off two bedroom villa). The only DVC resort on-property with connecting studios is the Poly.

We had connecting rooms at WL. It was very nice. You can request it during booking and again at check in. We prefer not to check in online because talking to a person seems to give us a better chance of getting our needs met. It is not guaranteed.

All rooms are assigned 2-3 days prior whether you do Online Check In or not. So it really makes no difference. If you don't do Online Check In and you weren't assigned connecting rooms if there's some available the CM will switch you.

If you do Online Check In and weren't assigned connecting rooms if there's some available the CM will switch you.

We just returned from 11 nights at CSR and we had connecting rooms in both buildings they had us in (long story). There were 6 of us and we're all adults. When my daughter, who lives in Tampa, got there for the weekend they put her in the room right next door. It really worked out well for us.

Just one minor detail that others have mentioned but not highlighted:

"adjoining rooms" are rooms that are next to each other.

"Connecting rooms" have an interior door that connects the two rooms. I believe you want "connecting rooms."

I just replied in your original thread but I'll say it again here - Disney does not have rooms that connect, however you can request to be side by side or across the hall. Just realize this is only a request and cannot be guaranteed. If being together is a deal-breaker then don't consider two rooms because there's a chance you'll be in totally separate buildings.

See below.

Yes, of course Disney resorts have connecting rooms. The problem is that you can never be guaranteed that you will get them. They aren't a bookable category; you can only request it, cross your fingers, and hope. If not getting connecting rooms is a deal breaker, then consider other options. Family suites at ASMu and AoA sleep 6, as do the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Or book a DVC villa.

I agree, Disney does indeed have connecting rooms, however they are not guaranteed. I have always have had this request honored, but was prepared if it was not possible. I know separate building can happen, but I bet you a buck that is incredibly rare.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter