Las Vegas Shooting

And they all are reasonable and valid changes. But, we didn't go as far as forbidding wearing shoes on airplane or banned any or all liquids we can carry along, right? And that's exactly my point of view. :-)
I believe there are reasonable and valid changes that can be made in regards to gun violence as well.

It wouldn't do anything to get the person in custody or off the street is more what I was getting at. Deny them entry to that property so?
A person tries to check in a hotel with 30 guns. Security find them and tells him he can't bring them in and will have to leave. He leaves. That doesn't seem to really accomplish anything.

That’s beyond the scope of most private security. Their primary goals are to enforce business policy. However, there are laws against bringing weapons to prohibited public places like airports.

The general purpose would be to prevent someone from bringing in weapons to shoot up a place or to set up a shooting vantage point in a hotel tower.

The argument that if it's not a gun it'll be something else just doesn't make sense to me. If all those other options people mention are just as easy and effective then why are they using guns? It really does seem to be it's the easiest and most effective way to carry out these horrible mass murders.
I love how people say oh he'll just make a bomb, like it's really just that simple.
He'll just get the guns illegally is another one. Yeah, he might but there's actually a chance to catch him before the attack if he has to do suspicious and/or illegal things to prepare.

Have you not seen it yourself? Trucks, explosives, knives, airplanes have all been used in mass killings. They DO use things other than guns. I am not sure I understand how you can not see that?

You do realize that most gun violence is not these types of incidents, do you not? And that a huge number of those guns are obtained illegally? People with bad things on their mind DO get guns illegally every single solitary day. And the ones doing the selling of these illegal weapons are not the sort of people who are likely to call the police. So, your logic there doesn't add up.

One thing that just struck me is this - supposedly the terrorist (which I think he should be called) set up a few cameras in the hallway of the hotel outside his room. I know he had a large suite but did it occupy the entire floor? I wonder if any other patrons of the hotel saw him installing cameras. Or if they did, maybe they just thought he was maintenance in the building....

The point I am trying to make is that security measures to thwart nuts and terrorists from killing people is welcomed by me so that I know I have a good chance of getting back to my family. If Logan airport in Boston, MA had any type of security on 9/11 the building in NYC where the Freedom tower is now would still be the World Trade Center. 5 people from where I live would probably be still alive and with their families. The ex Fire Chief of the volunteer fire department where I live wouldn't be dying of stomach cancer from working at ground zero after the attack. Does that answer what my point is.

Honestly, it really doesn't make sense in regards to Americans being willing to put up with having their cars, property and person searched when they go anywhere. I understand that you apparently would be fine with it but I highly doubt it would be something most Americans would tolerate. Besides, security stops someone from entering a hotel with 30 guns, then what?
It seems to me that after 9/11 we learned from what happened and new rules, laws and security procedures were put in place. We didn't just say "oh well there's nothing you can do to stop someone from hiring people. If it's not a plane, they'll just use something else".
Why are you blaming Logan and Boston? That's a sick thing to do.

I believe there are reasonable and valid changes that can be made in regards to gun violence as well.

OK, but how far would it go??? Just look at the Chicago prohibition in the 1920s, the fall out was black market, big money generated with smuggling alcohol and ... violence, no?

Have you not seen it yourself? Trucks, explosives, knives, airplanes have all been used in mass killings. They DO use things other than guns. I am not sure I understand how you can not see that?

You do realize that most gun violence is not these types of incidents, do you not? And that a huge number of those guns are obtained illegally? People with bad things on their mind DO get guns illegally every single solitary day. And the ones doing the selling of these illegal weapons are not the sort of people who are likely to call the police. So, your logic there doesn't add up.

What I see is here, in America where it's not difficult to get a bunch of guns and ammo, guns are most commonly for mass killings. There's a reason for that.
I'm not sure you're really making the point you think you are by bringing up all the other types of gun violence in this country. Mentioning it just reenforced the idea that we have to take a serious look at what is going on with guns in this country.

One thing that just struck me is this - supposedly the terrorist (which I think he should be called) set up a few cameras in the hallway of the hotel outside his room. I know he had a large suite but did it occupy the entire floor? I wonder if any other patrons of the hotel saw him installing cameras. Or if they did, maybe they just thought he was maintenance in the building....
His suite was HUGE. There are 10 windows between the two that he broke. I don't think there was too much foot traffic down his hallway and even if there was I don't think people would pay too much attention to him. It would be interesting if someone does come forward.

OK, but how far would it go??? Just look at the Chicago prohibition in the 1920s, the fall out was black market, big money generated with smuggling alcohol and ... violence, no?
I'm not dodging your question, I just can't answer it for fear of stepping over the line on the board/thread rules.

What I see is here, in America where it's not difficult to get a bunch of guns and ammo, guns are most commonly for mass killings. There's a reason for that.

Since you have so much fear toward guns and associated mass killings, how much greater the fear towards cars you must have? I'm sure you hear of multiple car accident deaths every week on the news every week, no?

no one really knows... everything is still not settled. He was also in the very far corner so there probably wasnt much traffic. I still dont even know where he would hide those cameras either. Having a housekeeping cart all day in front seems a bit suspicious...

Honestly, it really doesn't make sense in regards to Americans being willing to put up with having their cars, property and person searched when they go anywhere. I understand that you apparently would be fine with it but I highly doubt it would be something most Americans would tolerate. Besides, security stops someone from entering a hotel with 30 guns, then what?
It seems to me that after 9/11 we learned from what happened and new rules, laws and security procedures were put in place. We didn't just say "oh well there's nothing you can do to stop someone from hiring people. If it's not a plane, they'll just use something else".
Why are you blaming Logan and Boston? That's a sick thing to do.
It's like people have no idea what the Bill of Rights covers. Fourth Amendment, people. Look it up.

There isn't a single Law or Regulation in the World that's 100% effective or without a way to work around it. Even the Death Penalty doesn't guarantee that the "guilty" person is always the one to die.

There is no unlimited access. You have to meet certain requirements. This man would have met all the requirements.

Which is exactly the point we are trying to make. He was able to legally purchase 47 guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition.

For anyone who missed the first two reminders::

Attention!!!

I know this is an incomprehensible and emotional event, but our guidelines are still in effect:

* No politics

* No gun control rhetoric (see the "no politics" admonition)

* No debates (they get heated and turn to arguments)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter