Las Vegas Shooting

Yeah, when I go to a Broadway show in NYC I am being searched. When I go to a courthouse I am being searched. If you have nothing to hide, why should it matter if your searched for safety reasons. Schools today have metal detectors so that children don't bring guns to school. Aren't adults safety is as important as children's?
A private business can do (almost) what they want. If the grocery store says "we have to search you for you to enter the store", they can. I just don't think it's a practical solution.

A private business can do (almost) what they want. If the grocery store says "we have to search you for you to enter the store", they can. I just don't think it's a practical solution.

But a lot of the claims are that many of these hotels are instituting some sort of detection technology that isn't as obvious as traditional metal detectors, X-rays, or bag checks. If it ever gets "practical" it will be due to better technology.

That's amazing. My husband has had to hand over at least 5 Swiss army knives to airport security because he cannot for the life of him remember that he's not allowed one or forgets he's carrying it. My poor father had to surrender his (again he forgot) on a China trip once. He was devastated because my brother had personally engraved it for him. Closest I've even seen my father cry. I wasn't about to argue with those guys though. He also forgot he had a water bottle in his carryon. It was quite the drama and left my old father shaking for the rest of the day. :sad1:
Up until 9/11/01, you certainly could bring a pocket knife on a plane. The man has had at least two Swiss knives confiscated after and decided he couldn't be bothered with the bureaucracy of reclaiming it. I was only annoyed about one of them being lost to him since I specially picked it out as a present.
I liked to cry when I was forced to ditch 2 gift bottles of Scotch whiskey at Heathrow. Had purchased at a duty free shop in either Newark or JFK with assurances from the shop that it wouldn't be confiscated; liars.
It joined alllllll the other bottles thrown in the garbage at the entrance to Terminal 5 which made a cacophony of expensive broken glass and liquids.

On the bright side, AMEX had no problem disputing the charges and I got my money back.

Up until 9/11/01, you certainly could bring a pocket knife on a plane. The man has had at least two Swiss knives confiscated after and decided he couldn't be bothered with the bureaucracy of reclaiming it. I was only annoyed about one of them being lost to him since I specially picked it out as a present.
I liked to cry when I was forced to ditch 2 gift bottles of Scotch whiskey at Heathrow. Had purchased at a duty free shop in either Newark or JFK with assurances from the shop that it wouldn't be confiscated; liars.
It joined alllllll the other bottles thrown in the garbage at the entrance to Terminal 5 which made a cacophony of expensive broken glass and liquids.

On the bright side, AMEX had no problem disputing the charges and I got my money back.

Since when can't you buy duty free liquor at an airport and take it to your destination? I've never had a problem buying booze on the way or buying it on the way home. If you're buying it in the airport, that's past security and you can bring on on the plane just like any other liquid purchased in the secure part of the terminal. I though the only thing was a 2 liter limit. There might be some odd rules though if you're transferring. But if London was your destination that should have been no problem. I saw something that said it might also have to be in a sealed bag with the receipt and remain sealed. I've bought stuff at the airport, and it was waiting for me at the end of my flight in a sealed bag.

The one tricky thing I've heard can be a pain is Utah. It has to be a direct flight into Utah for duty-free alcohol. So transferring at LAX to SLC is a no-go. And I've heard of some people who flew straight in and then transferred and they had theirs confiscated by Customs who were enforcing some state requirement.

My husband has been travelling on business and pleasure for years and years and just kept (keeps?) forgetting about the knife. He actually may have a need for it professionally so he always has one. On the other hand, my 17 year old son asked last year for a Swiss Army knives for Xmas and my husband was "NO!". We have always referred lovingly, yet jokingly, that my youngest is a Buddhist monk so I don't know what the whole issue was between them. My other son's girlfriend had her small homemade bottle of jam confiscated at the airport that my aunt gave her and she actually argued them for half an hour (I wasn't there). She lost. lol. If I was there I would have assured her that it was no great loss.

Last edited:
Since when can't you buy duty free liquor at an airport and take it to your destination? I've never had a problem buying booze on the way or buying it on the way home. If you're buying it in the airport, that's past security and you can bring on on the plane just like any other liquid purchased in the secure part of the terminal. I though the only thing was a 2 liter limit. There might be some odd rules though if you're transferring. But if London was your destination that should have been no problem. I saw something that said it might also have to be in a sealed bag with the receipt and remain sealed. I've bought stuff at the airport, and it was waiting for me at the end of my flight in a sealed bag.

The one tricky thing I've heard can be a pain is Utah. It has to be a direct flight into Utah for duty-free alcohol. So transferring at LAX to SLC is a no-go. And I've heard of some people who flew straight in and then transferred and they had theirs confiscated by Customs who were enforcing some state requirement.

I was entering the UK from one terminal and transferring to another terminal to further my air travel on to the "Continent". It was at the second terminal that the liquor was confiscated. My solace was I certainly wasn't alone. Many other travelers had to throw their booze away both before and after me.

So I guess after being interviewed, the girlfriend says that she was encouraged to visit relatives in the Philippines and that he claimed he found cheap airfare for her. There's also some reports that he used to yell at her in public. The money he wired for her was supposedly to buy a house for her family.

Sounds a lot like he was planning on this and wanted her out of the country. Maybe also a last gift to her, although I'd think he would have had her in his will.

OK, just so we're clear, you are ok with being searched (bag and person) EVERY time you go to:
A grocery store
A mall
A post office
A restaurant
A hotel (whether for a stay or visit)
College building
A library

I honestly don't know whether I'm okay w/ being searched every time I enter a building or not. But I know I'm not okay w/ my luggage being searched every time I check into a hotel - x-ray I think I'd be okay w/, but not someone physically going through my bags & upsetting my carefully organized items.

Regarding bags being searched & the different things that are allowed through, a couple of weeks ago, we were at a venue where, upon entering, you had to empty your pockets & place any bags in a tray & then walk-through a metal detector. After you went through the metal detector, your personal bags were then searched before you were allowed into the venue.

DH & older DS forgot they had their pocket knives w/ them. After the metal detector security personnel carefully looked at & considered each knife, they were allowed through... w/ their pocket knives.

After we went through the metal detectors, DD & I went to separate tables for the bag check.

The security guy that looked through my bag opened the separate compartments himself & just gave a quick, cursory glance through my bag before letting me through.

DH & our 2 DSs were already through the ticket turnstiles & I was almost through when I happened to glance back & see that DD was still w/ the bag check.

The security gal that looked through DD's bag had DD open up the separate compartments & told her, "We're not allowed to touch your bag" - even though, at next table over, the security guy had opened my bag himself. DD had forgotten that she had a kubaton in her bag. (My friend sells "Damsel in Defense" products.) She also had a small pair of scissors in her bag. She was NOT allowed to take the kubaton into the venue & had to take it back to our vehicle. After consideration & consultation w/ the metal detector security personnel, she was allowed to keep the pair of scissors.

The kicker: I also had a pair of scissors in my bag to which the guy who was going through my bag never even gave a 2nd glance. I also had a small container of pepper spray in a pocket of my bag that he never opened - which I had completely forgotten about.

(Again, I have a friend who sells "Damsel in Defense" products. And, before people think I'm crazy for having scissors in my bag, I have a small pouch in my bag where I keep "office-type" supplies I might need - a small stapler, scissors, tape, & even paperclips. DD apparently also carries scissors in her bag. LOL!)

So... same venue & entering at the same time - DH & DS are each allowed through w/ a pocketknife. 2 different security personnel go through my bag & DD's bag w/ completely different methods. DD cannot get through w/ her kubaton, but her scissors are okay. I get through w/ a pair of scissors & pepper spray that the security never even sees.

I was entering the UK from one terminal and transferring to another terminal to further my air travel on to the "Continent". It was at the second terminal that the liquor was confiscated. My solace was I certainly wasn't alone. Many other travelers had to throw their booze away both before and after me.

Oh. Sounds like you ran into some EU rule. You probably wouldn't have the same issue once they leave the EU.

So I guess after being interviewed, the girlfriend says that she was encouraged to visit relatives in the Philippines and that he claimed he found cheap airfare for her. There's also some reports that he used to yell at her in public. The money he wired for her was supposedly to buy a house for her family.

Sounds a lot like he was planning on this and wanted her out of the country. Maybe also a last gift to her, although I'd think he would have had her in his will.

The feds will confiscate the entire estate, you can bet.

I hope any assets he left will be seized and distributed to the victims he left behind. I had heard the girlfriend thought he was breaking up with her when she learned the money had been wired to her in the Phillipines.

TC :cool1:

I honestly don't know whether I'm okay w/ being searched every time I enter a building or not. But I know I'm not okay w/ my luggage being searched every time I check into a hotel - x-ray I think I'd be okay w/, but not someone physically going through my bags & upsetting my carefully organized items.

Regarding bags being searched & the different things that are allowed through, a couple of weeks ago, we were at a venue where, upon entering, you had to empty your pockets & place any bags in a tray & then walk-through a metal detector. After you went through the metal detector, your personal bags were then searched before you were allowed into the venue.

DH & older DS forgot they had their pocket knives w/ them. After the metal detector security personnel carefully looked at & considered each knife, they were allowed through... w/ their pocket knives.

After we went through the metal detectors, DD & I went to separate tables for the bag check.

The security guy that looked through my bag opened the separate compartments himself & just gave a quick, cursory glance through my bag before letting me through.

DH & our 2 DSs were already through the ticket turnstiles & I was almost through when I happened to glance back & see that DD was still w/ the bag check.

The security gal that looked through DD's bag had DD open up the separate compartments & told her, "We're not allowed to touch your bag" - even though, at next table over, the security guy had opened my bag himself. DD had forgotten that she had a kubaton in her bag. (My friend sells "Damsel in Defense" products.) She also had a small pair of scissors in her bag. She was NOT allowed to take the kubaton into the venue & had to take it back to our vehicle. After consideration & consultation w/ the metal detector security personnel, she was allowed to keep the pair of scissors.

The kicker: I also had a pair of scissors in my bag to which the guy who was going through my bag never even gave a 2nd glance. I also had a small container of pepper spray in a pocket of my bag that he never opened - which I had completely forgotten about.

(Again, I have a friend who sells "Damsel in Defense" products. And, before people think I'm crazy for having scissors in my bag, I have a small pouch in my bag where I keep "office-type" supplies I might need - a small stapler, scissors, tape, & even paperclips. DD apparently also carries scissors in her bag. LOL!)

So... same venue & entering at the same time - DH & DS are each allowed through w/ a pocketknife. 2 different security personnel go through my bag & DD's bag w/ completely different methods. DD cannot get through w/ her kubaton, but her scissors are okay. I get through w/ a pair of scissors & pepper spray that the security never even sees.

I always carry a small pair of scissors in my carry-on bag. I've only had them confiscated once, and I surrendered them with a shrug and a smile. I packed them knowing full well that I might have to give them up.

Most of the time they just pass me through. Last trip, after going through the x-ray machine, the security guy decided to pull my scissors out of the bag and measure them. I indicated the correct pocket, waited for him to measure the blades, and then thanked him when he handed them back to me. Surprisingly, his response was, "No, thank you. You've been delightful!"

I don't know... maybe the people before me were extra cranky at him, or something. :laughing:

I hope any assets he left will be seized and distributed to the victims he left behind. I had heard the girlfriend thought he was breaking up with her when she learned the money had been wired to her in the Phillipines.

I'm sure the estate will be frozen and the victims will begin filing lawsuits. The entire estate will go to the victoms (and lawyers) I"m willing to bet.

As opposed to going to his mother, or brother? Or any of his ex-wives?

It's certainly interesting to contemplate, from a legal perspective, a law that would disperse the assets of a deceased criminal among his victims. But, while that might be emotionally satisfying, in a theoretical kind of way, it could also create all kinds of headaches. People would be lining up to claim victimhood, in order to cash in. Innocent relatives of the criminal would be denied any inheritance and could potentially be impoverished, or at least financially impacted (the death of a relative always comes with monetary costs, even if you don't want to hold a funeral for him). And, of course, there's the problem that anyone who dies in the commission of a crime, has - by definition! - not actually been formally convicted of that crime. It may not be an issue here, where we know exactly who is responsible, but in other cases the line between victim and perpetrator is not always completely clear.

Anyway, I think this is one of those situations where it's probably best not to mess with inheritance laws.

The girlfriend's name and character has already been repeatedly slandered, and cleared, only to be attacked again. If she wants to donate some of the money to charity, that's wonderful. If his other inheritors, such as his mother and his brother, want to do the same, that's quite laudable of them, too. But I have no stomach for taking it away from them by force. They're victims, too.

I presume any lawsuits against his estate will proceed in the usual manner. I don't know anything about how that would work.

I always carry a small pair of scissors in my carry-on bag. I've only had them confiscated once, and I surrendered them with a shrug and a smile. I packed them knowing full well that I might have to give them up.

Most of the time they just pass me through. Last trip, after going through the x-ray machine, the security guy decided to pull my scissors out of the bag and measure them. I indicated the correct pocket, waited for him to measure the blades, and then thanked him when he handed them back to me. Surprisingly, his response was, "No, thank you. You've been delightful!"

I don't know... maybe the people before me were extra cranky at him, or something. :laughing:

I was frequently targeted for extra questioning prior to 9/11 when I traveled overseas. I used to joke that they apparently thought I was a designer wearing drug mule and submitted to the indignity with no questions and little sarcasm ( You have to know when to fold).
I was perfectly fine post 9/11 when ALL were subjected to the same treatment and still are; true equality is a good thing.

I've simplified my life whilst air traveling- no sharp implements of any sort...just buy certain grooming tools on the other end and have done. Undoubtedly they will be sharper than my home gear.

As opposed to going to his mother, or brother? Or any of his ex-wives?

It's certainly interesting to contemplate, from a legal perspective, a law that would disperse the assets of a deceased criminal among his victims. But, while that might be emotionally satisfying, in a theoretical kind of way, it could also create all kinds of headaches. People would be lining up to claim victimhood, in order to cash in. Innocent relatives of the criminal would be denied any inheritance and could potentially be impoverished, or at least financially impacted (the death of a relative always comes with monetary costs, even if you don't want to hold a funeral for him). And, of course, there's the problem that anyone who dies in the commission of a crime, has - by definition! - not actually been formally convicted of that crime. It may not be an issue here, where we know exactly who is responsible, but in other cases the line between victim and perpetrator is not always completely clear.

Anyway, I think this is one of those situations where it's probably best not to mess with inheritance laws.

The girlfriend's name and character has already been repeatedly slandered, and cleared, only to be attacked again. If she wants to donate some of the money to charity, that's wonderful. If his other inheritors, such as his mother and his brother, want to do the same, that's quite laudable of them, too. But I have no stomach for taking it away from them by force. They're victims, too.

I presume any lawsuits against his estate will proceed in the usual manner. I don't know anything about how that would work.

In a civil suit one can sue the estate of the deceased and the absence of a criminal conviction is hardly an issue.

I thought that OJ settled in Florida because they couldn't take his house to pay for the award. However, it may be different the "defendant" is dead and there's nobody living in any property.

Is that normally done?

Doubt it. This is a state matter really. I doubt the state does it. However, his estate is probably not going to cover whatever lawsuits there will be. Not just families of the deceased but everyone who was injured.

I feel the same way. I'll put up with more security, but don't think I'd be ok with having someone go through my luggage. Even after what just happened in Vegas.

Regardless, I wonder what will happen in Time Square for the ball drop this year after this incident. I could see them setting up x-ray machines at those hotels for at least the New Year's timeframe.

I'm sure the estate will be frozen and the victims will begin filing lawsuits. The entire estate will go to the victoms (and lawyers) I"m willing to bet.
You're assuming there is any money left. He was a high roller gambler. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he was broke due to gambling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter