Lash extensions?

OP - My BFF has the lash extensions. She has a background in cosmetics, was a MAC manager for a gazillion years and was NEVER ever happy with any product she came across for her eyelashes including the false eyelashes. Her "look" plays a part in who she is as a person. I tease her and roll my eyes at her but I do know how important it is to her and her self image. We have traveled together many times, in the amount of time it takes me to shower, dress, makeup and hair she spends on makeup alone.

She has had her eyelash extensions now for a little over a year, she LOVES them. I think the initial cost was over $100 and her fills are $50 or so. She gets them filled every 3 weeks but wishes she could afford every 2 weeks. Yes, they fall out and she says that sometimes they are annoying but she wouldn't take them off for anything. The last week they can look a little bare, but she manages.

We live in a very dry high desert climate. I honestly do not know how the heat/humidity would affect the lashes.

PS that martini looks really good!

Oh, I do use a mineral make-up and I absolutely love it! But I think everyone is getting the wrong idea. Yes, I use a lot of make-up, but I don't look like Tammy Faye. I don't spend all my time caking it on, coat after coat - it has more to do with precision. I spend a lot of time building up my lashes with the primer, making sure they are all straight and separated and then making sure the mascara goes on smoothly and that they stay straight and separated.

Here is a picture: I'm usually the one behind the camera so I don't have a lot to choose from. It's is in black and white and you can't tell much about my lashes, but at least you can see I do NOT look like Tammy Faye (please tell me I don't look like Tammy Faye).

IMG_1099.jpg

ETA: and I'm going to go ahead and say what you all are probably thinking but are too polite to point out - yes, I realize 'older' women should wear LESS makeup, not more. Nevertheless, I prefer dramatic eyes and like the way they look on me.
I don't know why I looked at this. I admit I am blessed with very long and very dark lashes. Though the tips of mine are very light and I have considered getting them dyed on the tips so that I can skip mascara all together.

Granted this is a black and white picture but I hate to ay it. For a daytime look it is too much. Please please please do not take this as an attack but it is kind of sad to me to know you think so little of yourself that you have to wear make up. As I said your eyes are too heavy and remind me kind of what Dolly Parton is doing with her make up now. The dramatic look is a bit dated. Smokey is in now and can be done with more subtle colors for daytime.

You are a beautiful woman. I do think that an hour only on eyelashes is a little much even if they do look perfect. I know it makes you feel better but I truly hope that you will be able to look in the mirror some day and not feel the need to make a new face for yourself. That the one you have without make up is fantastic.

Wanting to wear make up is great. I want to wear make up too when I am out and about. It's just your hinting at the almost need to wear it. That does strike me as a little sad.

That said I would imagine in your case extentions or false lashes would make you feel better. My aunt has very thin and short lashes. She does the fake ones herself with no trouble. They look very real and she never bothers with mascara now.

I don't know why I looked at this. I admit I am blessed with very long and very dark lashes. Though the tips of mine are very light and I have considered getting them dyed on the tips so that I can skip mascara all together.

Granted this is a black and white picture but I hate to ay it. For a daytime look it is too much. Please please please do not take this as an attack but it is kind of sad to me to know you think so little of yourself that you have to wear make up. As I said your eyes are too heavy and remind me kind of what Dolly Parton is doing with her make up now. The dramatic look is a bit dated. Smokey is in now and can be done with more subtle colors for daytime.

You are a beautiful woman. I do think that an hour only on eyelashes is a little much even if they do look perfect. I know it makes you feel better but I truly hope that you will be able to look in the mirror some day and not feel the need to make a new face for yourself. That the one you have without make up is fantastic.

Wanting to wear make up is great. I want to wear make up too when I am out and about. It's just your hinting at the almost need to wear it. That does strike me as a little sad.

That said I would imagine in your case extentions or false lashes would make you feel better. My aunt has very thin and short lashes. She does the fake ones herself with no trouble. They look very real and she never bothers with mascara now.

Whole thing is a :rolleyes: . Bolded is a super :rolleyes: .

Whenever these threads come up - because I am a makeup wearer - I always wonder if the non-wearers, the 'youre insecure' because you wear makeup ever think "Gee, maybe they LIKE wearing makeup"?? I love makeup. I collect it almost like a hobby. That along with nail polish and perfume. I *like* it. I *love* it. Ill leave the house without makeup, but I *like* putting it on, and playing with it.

Not everyone is afraid to look in the mirror or be seen without a full face. Some of happen to like makeup though.

That being said....

KIM - have you tried TOO FACED's tubing mascara?

P168368_hero.jpg

It's crazy wicked awesomely amazing!!! :thumbsup2 You can build it up, and it ends up looking like you have false lashes on. And, you can barely get it off. It's waterproof, too.

OP,

I understand where you're coming from. My eyelashes are very small and very faint in color, so I ALWAYS wear fake eyelashes.

I normally buy them from Walgreens. It took me a few trials to figure out what length I needed (didn't want to go too short or too long).

I wear them everyday and it literally takes me maybe 20 minutes from complete start to finish for my makeup.

I also wore them in Disney with no issues. The only issue I could forsee is if you go on any water rides.

Good luck!

Just wondering, do you wear them with or without mascara? Do you wear the strips or the individuals (like small clumps glued to the lashes individually)?

I kind of skipped over most of this thread. I'm a certified lash extensionist. If your own lashes are short and wispy you may not be a good candidate for lash extensions. Your natural lashes have to support the extension as well as the glue. If you have short, thin lashes, you may not be able to support the length that standard lash extensions come in. They are only supposed to stick out past the tip of your natural lash by 4mm or so. Having too much weight on the natural lash can lead to the lash breaking or falling out prematurely. That would leave you with even less to work with! :scared1:

I would sugges that you look into the lash growing product Latisse. The FDA recently approved it for prescription by doctors. You may have heard about this drug before - it was accidentally discovered to be good for growing eyelashes by people who used it for their glaucoma. Then people started using it off-label. I believe the Jan Marini makeup line (they were the first to do so) make a TON of money by illegally putting this drug in their own lash growing product. The FDA approved version is called Latisse and it's produced by Allergan, the original maker of the glaucoma drug.

Web MD Article about Latisse
Official Latisse Website

I hope this helps you. If anyone tries to "sell" you on the eyelash extensions I'd beware that they're just trying to make a buck since you're not an ideal candidate, IMO.

My lashes are very short, thin, and skimpy. I don't just swipe mascara over them - that would be useless. I build them up first with primer (several coats) and then apply the mascara. It is a painstaking process, but it gets results.

I would definitely get Xtreme eyelashes put on. Not just for the trip, either. They look great!

My sister is a nurse and also owns a business where she applies Xtreme lashes and does permanent makeup. My other sister has short, thin lashes and had them put on. They look GREAT!

I also think the money you would spend on this would be worth it since you are spending so much time on your lashes now.

You can check her website out to see some before and after pics. www.lookingoodnow.com

Oh - I'm not trying to sell you on it. She doesn't live in the same state as you. I would have a consultation somewhere and see if you are a good candidate.

I kind of skipped over most of this thread. I'm a certified lash extensionist. If your own lashes are short and wispy you may not be a good candidate for lash extensions. Your natural lashes have to support the extension as well as the glue. If you have short, thin lashes, you may not be able to support the length that standard lash extensions come in. They are only supposed to stick out past the tip of your natural lash by 4mm or so. Having too much weight on the natural lash can lead to the lash breaking or falling out prematurely. That would leave you with even less to work with! :scared1:

I would sugges that you look into the lash growing product Latisse. The FDA recently approved it for prescription by doctors. You may have heard about this drug before - it was accidentally discovered to be good for growing eyelashes by people who used it for their glaucoma. Then people started using it off-label. I believe the Jan Marini makeup line (they were the first to do so) make a TON of money by illegally putting this drug in their own lash growing product. The FDA approved version is called Latisse and it's produced by Allergan, the original maker of the glaucoma drug.

Web MD Article about Latisse
Official Latisse Website

I hope this helps you. If anyone tries to "sell" you on the eyelash extensions I'd beware that they're just trying to make a buck since you're not an ideal candidate, IMO.

I wonder what would happen if you threw this stuff on your scalp then, too?

hair.jpg

Well, I have to run out the door again, just wanted to post that you can put "tightlining" in the search box at utube and there are girls that give lessons. It's basically pulling up your eyelid and getting the eyeliner deep down in between the lashes. It's supposed to make your lashes fuller.

I'll have to come back to read the rest of this thread but :thumbsup2 to you CathrynRose! I wish there was a seperate section for makeup on the DIS. Sort a DIS type makeupalley.

I'll have to come back to read the rest of this thread but :thumbsup2 to you CathrynRose! I wish there was a seperate section for makeup on the DIS. Sort a DIS type makeupalley.

Lets have a makeup clique thread. See if we can get it going. I think we tried before with little hope.

I shall try again.

And the haters can groan about our glossy lips, and shimmery eyes - but we wont care.

Off to start it. Come on in. :cool1:

Okay. I stumbled in here because I was curious what lash extensions are. From reading through this I'm getting the idea it's sort of like having acrylic nails put on? Obviously I don't belong in here because I am make-up challenged, but my curiosity got the better of me. I can honestly say I had no idea such a thing existed.

cabanafrau, lash extensions are similar to false eyelashes, only more natural looking and semi-permanent. They are like hair extensions for lashes!

I appreciate everyone's helpful advice. However, I've become a little uncomfortable with this thread (and yes, I know it's my own fault). I've asked for the thread to be closed, but in the meantime, I would appreciate it if everyone could please refrain from posting and bumping this up. I'll be happy to discuss lash extensions via PM. Thanks! :)

I have eyelashes that are so small and invisible. I would love to try those different products. Thanks for the ideas.

Having an eyelash extension, you will get these benefits:
  • Sleep more time every morning.
  • Saving more time every day especially in urgent party time.
  • Don’t need to worry about the mascara will fall off when in swimming or sweet after too much exercise.
  • Don’t need to worry about the suddenly falling out of false lashes.
  • Keep you charmful no matter winter or summer.
  • Reducing trouble of removing eye makeup.
  • Don’t need to have mascara, don’t afraid of dry eyes.
  • ……
But eyelash extension needs some take care after the grafting if you like you can go to the Lankizlashes blog for a look.

Having an eyelash extension, you will get these benefits:
  • Sleep more time every morning.
  • Saving more time every day especially in urgent party time.
  • Don’t need to worry about the mascara will fall off when in swimming or sweet after too much exercise.
  • Don’t need to worry about the suddenly falling out of false lashes.
  • Keep you charmful no matter winter or summer.
  • Reducing trouble of removing eye makeup.
  • Don’t need to have mascara, don’t afraid of dry eyes.
  • ……
But eyelash extension needs some take care after the grafting if you like you can go to the Lankizlashes blog for a look.
I rather imagine OP figured out whether they were getting them or not some time ago (thread is 10 years old).

Besides the fact that OP asked for no more replies/bumps for the thread.

I SAW THAT AFTER I REPLIED ITS 10 YEARS OLD!! Lol I'm keeping my reply for anyone who wants to know, you never know.

I have lash extensions and I've had them for a few years now. My first thoughts about reading what you've written is that you have to be aware that it will reduce the lashes you have. While they do grow back, they fall out more often, and they don't get to grow as long because they have relatively significant weight on them. I'm fortunate to have good eyelashes to begin with but I would guess that it reduces my natural lashes by about 35%. I don't know if I would do it otherwise. I've let them all come off twice since and you can notice the difference in the amount of natural eyelashes I do have left. I do however get volume lashes so there's 3-4 lashes glued to each one of my lashes so idk what it would be like with out a volume set.

Also, you should probably get a consult. The person who does my eyelashes can even get her own done because hers are too weak and pretty sparse.

However, if it does work out for you then yes!! It's really great not having to do as much of a makeup routine. I don't buy any eyelash products anymore. I also work outside a lot and it's nice to not have to worry about eye makeup melting. I also find myself doing a lot less in my make up routine in general. And if I don't feel like doing any at all its still okay because my eyes still look nice.

Function wise about the eyelashes:
Riding rollercoasters is interesting. My vision was lined with moving eyelashes since they're so long, and I could definitely feel them moving.
Swimming is kind of out of the question but I hate swimming so that's okay for me. I know that's a deal breaker for some though.
You also have to make sure to steer clear of oil based products. That will make your eyelashes come off pretty much instantly.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions!

We're going to WDW in 3 months and I'm trying to think of ideas to reduce the time I spend getting ready in the morning. Mascara application is a huge time-sucker for me. It takes close to an hour for me to do both upper and lower lashes and I'm thinking lash extensions might be a solution to this problem. Has anyone had experience with these?
Is this a serious post? it takes you ONE HOUR to apply mascara? Can you walk us through the process? why does it take an hour? it shouldnt be more than a minute or two, tops.

DAMN, I just saw the date. Zombie thread.

I started doing lash extensions this year and I’m totally addicted! I barely have to wear any makeup at all. A little tinted moisturizer, blush and go. That’s if I’m dressed and going out. But seriously, I can be in my pjs walking the dog at 6am and my eyes still look amazing! The ones I do are pricy but they last about a month. I’m 43, fwiw.

Oh, oops. Old thread. Still love my eyelashes though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter