Lasseter may return to Disney

I think that is part of the issue here. Lasseter isn’t a household name. During this time Lasseter wasn’t all over the news like say Weinstein or others were. I don’t believe we ever had someone publicly come forward and say Lasseter indeed did these things. So while I don’t necessarily agree with it maybe Disney found nothing of great substance to fire him on?

Can't he work from home, its computer animation. Heck he probably has a computer right in his house. Ankle bracelet.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same.

To your last point, someone just commented on the DIS Facebook post of this story that he thinks Lassester should be brought back, so guess not everyone is against it

Probably some red pill/incel kook. I would think Disney would want to hold itself and its executives to the highest standards. I'd like to think that at least:)

I think that is part of the issue here. Lasseter isn’t a household name. During this time Lasseter wasn’t all over the news like say Weinstein or others were. I don’t believe we ever had someone publicly come forward and say Lasseter indeed did these things. So while I don’t necessarily agree with it maybe Disney found nothing of great substance to fire him on?

Definitely not to the extent of Weinstein or Matt Lauer - but this is even comments from people within the Disney community that of course know who he is. Someone else just posted that "what he did was more of a fraternity stunt, and he is getting a raw deal" - so I think it is more people *wanting* for it to be ok for him to come back because they love the work he produced and enabled to be produced at the studios.

And I get that, it sucks when someone you like/love/respect/whatever is caught - and I do get what you are saying about lack of a formal filed complaint or what *really* happened - but there had to have been something or he wouldn't have gone on his hiatus and seems like enough reports of women not feeling respecting and just the culture of the studios, etc.

They better have some good reports and lots of witnesses to counter what is out there if they are going to bring him back in any capacity (if they do, then great - I do think he deserves the chance for the truth to come out) - just his specter will be over the studios as a whole if he is around in any capacity

Definitely not to the extent of Weinstein or Matt Lauer - but this is even comments from people within the Disney community that of course know who he is. Someone else just posted that "what he did was more of a fraternity stunt, and he is getting a raw deal" - so I think it is more people *wanting* for it to be ok for him to come back because they love the work he produced and enabled to be produced at the studios.

And I get that, it sucks when someone you like/love/respect/whatever is caught - and I do get what you are saying about lack of a formal filed complaint or what *really* happened - but there had to have been something or he wouldn't have gone on his hiatus and seems like enough reports of women not feeling respecting and just the culture of the studios, etc.

They better have some good reports and lots of witnesses to counter what is out there if they are going to bring him back in any capacity (if they do, then great - I do think he deserves the chance for the truth to come out) - just his specter will be over the studios as a whole if he is around in any capacity
Oh I agree I’m just trying to play devils advocate here.

Definitely not to the extent of Weinstein or Matt Lauer - but this is even comments from people within the Disney community that of course know who he is. Someone else just posted that "what he did was more of a fraternity stunt, and he is getting a raw deal"

I think a lot of those types of comments also come from men who'd behave that way themselves. It's gross.

I think the Lasseter rumor is a trial balloon.

Probably -- the harassment thing had its 15 minutes of fame and the media has generally moved on to other things.

Playing a bit of Devil's Advocate myself:

My question is, how long before he can come back and do a job he is good at? What do we know of his offenses specifically? Were they Harvey Weinstein or Matt Lauer level?

I'm not saying he is innocent, I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished for this type of inappropriate behavior, I am saying we don't know all the details, but rush to judgment. Either way, should we not be preaching forgiveness and rehabilitation? Why are some crimes "unforgivable"? Should he never work again? Do we just like to crucify those that are richer and more successful than us because it makes us feel better?

If he comes back in a non-managerial role, then isn't his "power" that he used for harassment diminished? Can't he just be on probation since he is now known to have this behavior?

Isn't our society filled with stories of people who had bad lifestyles and bad choices in their past but repent and change and become a better person?

I think a lot of those types of comments also come from men who'd behave that way themselves. It's gross.

I am sure some are - or at least that don't see it as "a big deal" ... or "not as bad as what a lot of others do"

But I think also some that want to think it wasn't true or that he can change and just want him back making movies that they love (and I do get that)

Probably -- the harassment thing had its 15 minutes of fame and the media has generally moved on to other things.

My question is, how long before he can come back and do a job he is good at? What do we know of his offenses specifically? Were they Harvey Weinstein or Matt Lauer level?

I'm not saying he is innocent, I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished for this type of inappropriate behavior, I am saying we don't know all the details, but rush to judgment. Either way, should we not be preaching forgiveness and rehabilitation? Why are some crimes "unforgivable"? Do we just like to crucify those that are richer and more successful than us because it makes us feel better?

If he comes back in a non-managerial role, then isn't his "power" that he used for harassment diminished? Can't he just be on probation since he is now known to have this behavior?

Isn't our society filled with stories of people who had bad lifestyles and bad choices in their past but repent and change and become a better person?

Good points.

I'm not saying he is innocent, I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished for this type of inappropriate behavior, I am saying we don't know all the details, but rush to judgment. Either way, should we not be preaching forgiveness and rehabilitation? Why are some crimes "unforgivable"? Should he never work again? Do we just like to crucify those that are richer and more successful than us because it makes us feel better?

I am 100% against a rush to judgment and made comments here that I think it is wrong to fire people right away when the first news story comes out ... but it has now been 6 months and even if the public doesn't know, Disney execs should have a very good idea of what did and didn't happen. Even if it wasn't Weinstein/Lauer level stuff it created a very negative work environment and we should want to move beyond that

And even if the crime is "forgivable" that doesn't mean he gets to come back to the company. I don't necessarily think he should be locked away forever and removed from society permanently - but that doesn't mean he gets to come back. I just think he personality and presence was so large there (almost deified) that there is no way even if he doesn't have formal management responsibilities that the signal the company sends by bringing him back in any capacity is a negative one

Now, if Disney had a ton of evidence against some of the allegations that are out there and has a ton of proof that he went through treatment and counciling and is a changed person and wants to help others and speak out against what he did in the past, that is one thing - then maybe something could work, but that better be really strong evidence

I've also seen corporations pull things like this to make sure the competition doesn't get the talent. Disney may figure some other animation house may not care and snatch him up, so it would be strategically better to keep Lasseter on the books than compete against him. Basically you give him tenure to take him off the playing field. This is all speculation and I'm not saying I'd agree with such a move, but I have seen it happen.

I would imagine that if he was let go, any form of severance he received (ie. remainder of contract wages, etc.) would come with a pretty heavy duty non-compete, if he didn't have one already.

I am pretty sure John Lasseter owns a crap ton of Disney stock, wouldn't be surprised if that is somewhere is someones thinking

'
The one thing you can never do is go back to the place you committed the bad acts...I mean, c'mon...that's a gimme that even the Catholic Church knew before it got jacked in its huge scandal - even when it was in coverup central, it used to at least cycle accused/guilty priests to different parishes (which was still so uber-bad) or into no parish roles in monasteries or the Vatican...

I see your point and I agree with seeking forgiveness and rehabilitation, but especially poignant in the case of sexual harassment is thinking about the victims. If indeed he is guilty of what is accused but not charged, and is allowed to return to the same job (maybe not at the same level, but within the same company) then those who were harassed would have to work in the same environment as their harasser. I've had friends in this situation (their harassing/assaulting superior was allowed to return to work) and it was just hell for them.

...snip...

And even if the crime is "forgivable" that doesn't mean he gets to come back to the company. I don't necessarily think he should be locked away forever and removed from society permanently - but that doesn't mean he gets to come back. I just think he personality and presence was so large there (almost deified) that there is no way even if he doesn't have formal management responsibilities that the signal the company sends by bringing him back in any capacity is a negative one

...snip...

Came here to say exactly this. The Lasseter thing is kind of funny in that not much further has come out since it was first announced, unlike others' stories which have made headlines repeatedly as details come to light.

Don't get me wrong, I'm firmly against the recent trends towards "public lynchings", since they lend themselves to providing no time for exposure of facts, no chance for repentance or forgiveness, they just satisfy our crude desires to "take down", "destroy", "expose"! But there has to be a balance - in this case the balance should have involved Disney disassociating quickly from the man, and let the rest be sorted out in criminal or civil courts.

Floating the idea of letting the man back is at best bad optics, and at worst hints at a cover-up and possible settlements (read "payoffs").

My question is, how long before he can come back and do a job he is good at?

I don't think he can. I think this event will mark the end of Pixar's Golden Age and we are now entering a period of declining quality and story-telling from the Pixar group, maybe Disney animation in general. Even if he does come back, do you think things would just go back to the way they were? Not his creepy/inappropriate behavior, but the whole office vibe would be different. Can you imagine? Just anyone being around him would be awkward. He is a different person, for better (better behavior) or for worse. Is he sober now? Would he even be able to tap into that creative genius story-telling talent or would he have writer's block? I don't think he will be able to produce the same quantity or quality of stories for years, if ever again. He should probably just retire.

If he comes back in a non-managerial role, then isn't his "power" that he used for harassment diminished?
I haven't really followed really really closely the topic at hand but I will say power doesn't just come from being in a manager position. Influence and esteem one holds is power as well. So really demoting someone doesn't necessarily take away the power they have.

'
The one thing you can never do is go back to the place you committed the bad acts...I mean, c'mon...that's a gimme that even the Catholic Church knew before it got jacked in its huge scandal - even when it was in coverup central, it used to at least cycle accused/guilty priests to different parishes (which was still so uber-bad) or into no parish roles in monasteries or the Vatican...

I see your point and I agree with seeking forgiveness and rehabilitation, but especially poignant in the case of sexual harassment is thinking about the victims. If indeed he is guilty of what is accused but not charged, and is allowed to return to the same job (maybe not at the same level, but within the same company) then those who were harassed would have to work in the same environment as their harasser. I've had friends in this situation (their harassing/assaulting superior was allowed to return to work) and it was just hell for them.

I don't think he can. I think this event will mark the end of Pixar's Golden Age and we are now entering a period of declining quality and story-telling from the Pixar group, maybe Disney animation in general. Even if he does come back, do you think things would just go back to the way they were? Not his creepy/inappropriate behavior, but the whole office vibe would be different. Can you imagine? Just anyone being around him would be awkward. He is a different person, for better (better behavior) or for worse. Is he sober now? Would he even be able to tap into that creative genius story-telling talent or would he have writer's block? I don't think he will be able to produce the same quantity or quality of stories for years, if ever again. He should probably just retire.

In the end I'm figuring Disney will have to come to the conclusion that they can't bring him back in any working capacity due to these reasons ... many of us probably know of or have dealt with toxic working environments. Even if they try to keep up a good public image, eventually work will suffer and talent will leave ... and that's best case. Just cut off the toe (or foot) before the entire leg is lost

why do we credit John Lasseter alone with Pixar's Golden Age?
Are there not plenty of quality story tellers at Pixar? Is it not true that many of them were UNABLE to thrive because of John Lasseter? Honestly, I have a hard time believing that this hurts Pixar in the long run

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter