Last minute 5 day WDW trip September 2018

Benjamin Draper

Earning My Ears
hi there, I wonder if people would be so kind as to give me some advice. We will be in Orlando for 5 nights in september 19/24. This for us is last minute and obviously availability of hotels is not great. Any ideas? Love the idea of the Four Seasons but price is so high. Is Waldorf Astoria any good or are there any last minute Disney properties anyone would recommend? Thanks in advance.

I always laugh when someone calls a trip that's a couple months away "last minute" as we almost never book our trips further out than that. The fact that we currently have a trip booked for 10/29 is highly unusual for us. We typically book 6-8 weeks in advance.

Anyway, if you're asking about Disney hotels, this isn't the right forum for that. If you're asking about offsite properties, can you tell us a little more about what you're looking for and what you want to spend?

It is last minute for us as we live in Europe. 400 per night is really our limit. I am asking mainly about properties inside the Disney boundaries. I know there are a few really good ones but they all have similar names. Looking for luxury with quiet areas. Not too many kids etc.

It is last minute for us as we live in Europe. 400 per night is really our limit. I am asking mainly about properties inside the Disney boundaries. I know there are a few really good ones but they all have similar names. Looking for luxury with quiet areas. Not too many kids etc.

Luxury and quiet with not too many kids would rule out all of the Disney resorts.

The closest luxury resorts would be the Four Seasons, Waldorf Astoria and perhaps the Hilton Bonnet Creek.

I always laugh when someone calls a trip that's a couple months away "last minute" as we almost never book our trips further out than that. The fact that we currently have a trip booked for 10/29 is highly unusual for us. We typically book 6-8 weeks in advance.

Four of my last five Disney World trips were literally booked 6-12 hours before I arrived at the hotel. For folks living in Florida, that sort of trip isn't as unusual as people think. Every Friday night, the Disney Reservations Center (where I used to work) gets slammed with calls from people looking for a hotel room for that night.

Obviously, coming from Europe is a different animal.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Looks like we will plump for the Waldorf Astoria.

Looking at your dates, I'd say the Waldorf Astoria is your best option. The only Disney Resorts under $400/night are moderate or value. Those will be a huge disappointment if you're hoping for luxury.

Once you add in the resort fee, the Waldorf Astoria is about $300/night plus tax. Or, it's $246/night if you're bold enough to book a non-refundable/non-changeable reservation. (Personally, I'd avoid a non-refundable reservation unless you have great travel insurance.)

Although not on Disney property, you might consider the Gaylord Palms. It's more upscale than luxury, but the building is unique in that it has several massive atria. It's a large hotel with convention facilities, so you may see people with name tags in business casual attire. But, that means fewer kids, too.

For your dates, a room facing the atrium is $266/night. The rate has 3-day cancelation policy. For this hotel, I'd pay the extra for a room on the atrium. No matter the weather, you can still enjoy the balcony because you're inside.

Link to the Gaylord Palms (which is a Marriott brand): https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mcogp-gaylord-palms-resort-and-convention-center/

Example of one of the three atria...this is the Everglades Atrium:
gaylordpalms-everglades-atrium.jpg

That Gaylord Palms looks amazing!

You could certainly check DVC Rentals for last minute specials on renting points for a deluxe on site, but it will be hard to find unless you are super flexibke on dates. The Waldorf looks lovely and will truly have the deluxe amenities you want.

The Gaylord is beautiful. We haven't stayed at that one but have visited several times. And we've stayed at their Maryland location and our daughter has stayed at their Nashville location. They are very nice places and the atrium rooms are really unique as far as the view from a room can be.

Four of my last five Disney World trips were literally booked 6-12 hours before I arrived at the hotel. For folks living in Florida, that sort of trip isn't as unusual as people think.
We live in NJ. Our most last minute trip was booked on Tuesday for arrival on Sunday.

I'm not at all surprised that Florida folks would do a lot of last minute visits.

There a load of Disney Springs® Area hotels, How about: Holiday Inn Orlando-Disney Springs® Area

I've stayed at that Holiday Inn several times. It's a well-run hotel, but it's no where near luxury, which is what Benjamin Draper requested. Disney categories it as Moderate, which is a fair categorization.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter